Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

XP11: X Europe released! Stunning OSM scenery

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

Simheaven released the long anticipated OSM scenery for Europe in XP11. You can use it with stock XP11 scenery, with HD Mesh v4, or you combine it with ortho4XP ortho scenery, which leads to the best results in my opinion, as the placing of the autogen is spot on! Here are a few examples of my hometown Frankfurt, close to EDDF. I use ZL17 ortho photo scenery, and the new X Europe´s OSM data defines, which kind of (default) facade gets placed where. It even has definitions for the type and height of the buildings. The first test shows unbelievably dense and realistic autogen (setting at "high"), with 35-40 fps on my older system (i5 3570 @ 4.3, 16 GB CL9 RAM, GTX1070 8GB).

So, you Europe fliers: Go and grab it from simheaven or the org, and please consider donating! This lifts XP scenery to another level! 

dqwbwcmkeyufmv5kw.jpg
dqwbwj2pe18t6yz28.jpg
dqwbwny03wownde68.jpg
dqwbwthwh7ct372m8.jpg

• Upvote 1

That looks absolutely stunning. Thanks for the tip! Will try it right away.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

If that is a W2XP based scenery than the main credit should go to Tony

• Upvote 3

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Guest Mik75

Grab it, guys! XP’s very good scenery just got a lot better! He‘ll even add regional typical facade in later updates. Right now, it uses XP‘s default facade. But the OSM definitions for type and height of buildings do an impressive job!

Looks amazing. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Another step fwd in X-Plane we owe to Tony....

Yes there's a lot of work by others, but if it wasn't for World2XP we wouldn't have what we have today, ah, and let's not forget Ortho4XP too and Oscar Pilotte !

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Mik75
2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Another step fwd in X-Plane we owe to Tony....

Yes there's a lot of work by others, but if it wasn't for World2XP we wouldn't have what we have today, ah, and let's not forget Ortho4XP too and Oscar Pilotte !

Absolutely! These three guys are all heroes of the XP community! One tends to take these amazing contributions for granted. So all I can do, is adding the note to my posts, that donating should definitely be considered! With a lot of people spending so much money on addons for all kind of sims, that‘s the least we can do!

2 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

Absolutely! These three guys are all heroes of the XP community! One tends to take these amazing contributions for granted. So all I can do, is adding the note to my posts, that donating should definitely be considered! With a lot of people spending so much money on addons for all kind of sims, that‘s the least we can do!

Hey even i am a hero , beta tester of W2Xp having and giving sleepless nights to Tony :biggrin:

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Super!  Question, can I use this with good result if I don't have Ortho4XP in those areas?  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Guest Mik75
51 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Super!  Question, can I use this with good result if I don't have Ortho4XP in those areas?  

Absolutely. Placement of objects will be much better, more dense. And type and height of autogen will generate a more realistic look!

The screenshots certainly looks stunning. 

This is sth has been in my mind for a while: if I understand correctly for XP11 overlays play a huge role in making the sim look great. I'm totally willing to pay for high quality overlays to be used with my ortho scenery etc. While I can't thank enough those people working for free to give us sth like X-Europe, it'll be great to see some developers taking the overlays seriously and give us quality and more frequently updated overlays.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I have been a big fan of Tony's W2XP and Ortho since a long time, so I had to try this out.

But IMO, the outcome is still the same: while wonderful when combined with Ortho imagery, it stands out like (fill in your preference) when used with default or HD Mesh.

I don't know if the same approach is possible (with underlying ground texture) as default autogen? I did try it with Ortho4XP, and like it a lot, but currently I like HD Mesh more.

As usual, my 2 cents, but I want to add that, while it has excellent promise, and with the promise of more regionalized buildings even more, it won't work miracles in every situation.

I am with FlyIce, that I would like to see someone step in and fill the lack of high quality region overlays / autogen ( then I think about the resources of a developer like OrbX).

Guest Mik75

To my eye, ortho4XP generated scenery, plus this OSM based X Europe overlay is the best and most accurate scenery I´ve ever seen in any sim platform. And it´s basically FREE (although everyone should consider a nice donation). Sure, one can find things to dislike, and there is room for improvement (regional facade will come with a future update), but no other payware product has ever come close to the vusial qualities of this combination, in MY opinion! ;-) 

Thank you for the information! I tried it. OSM data is too outdated. Lot of places are missing in Barcelona, whole of the EU... Deleted. In big cities like Frankfurt the OSM data is good but the landscape is too bad.