Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Prepar3D v4.2 has been released

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Isn't that the industry norm now? AIRACs change less than monthly. Do you expect everyone writing flight sim software to provide that service for free?

No. I expect a simulator platform to represent the accurate data for the time it is released. Just as every professional add-on aircraft like the PMDG or Aerosoft products come with the Airac that was current on its release.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Farlis said:

No. I expect a simulator platform to represent the accurate data for the time it is released. 

But where do you draw the line?  Accurate nav data, accurate physics, accurate weather, accurate flight dynamics, accurate animations,  accurate VC's.  It can't all be done, which is why the aftermarket is there to fill the gap.

11 minutes ago, anthonyg96 said:

So u want p3d to have navigraph with it uptodate?

I'm not sure anyone is asking for that or at least I am not but,as in Xplane, the ability to update with Navagragh or Aerosoft would be a move forward. But then again, that would require default FMS and Gps's to be able to use it. That would require much internal programming?

8 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I'm not sure anyone is asking for that or at least I am not but,as in Xplane, the ability to update with Navagragh or Aerosoft would be a move forward. But then again, that would require default FMS and Gps's to be able to use it. That would require much internal programming?

Google fsaerodata, you can update FSX/P3D navdata with Navigraph. But then come AFCADs...

3 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

The argument is valid if you use the default planning/nav units. 

However, alot of people don't use anything default.  PMDG aircraft, the PFPX flight planner and the Active Sky database for example are updated with a Navigraph subscription - monthly and therefore don't have to rely or the core NAV database of the sim.  I think people have just become accustomed to looking to the aftermarket for accurate and frequently updated solutions.  So for many, this is a non-issue.

3 minutes ago, ErichB said:

The argument is valid if you use the default planning/nav units. 

The argument is not valid. P3D navdata can be updated in the same manner like XP navdata. fsaerodata+navigraph subscription.

Just now, Dirk98 said:

The argument is not valid. P3D navdata can be updated in the same manner like XP.

so then what's the issue?

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

so then what's the issue?

I don't know, ask him Adrian123. 

No issue.

Do you see an issue?

Edited by Dirk98

26 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I don't think internal programming is needed because the default GPS works fine with the data FSAerodata can install into the sim. It seems LM simply leaves all this to 3rd party developers.

It is an interesting question though why LM does decide to add some things while leaving out others. Those new helicopters for instance: why not leave them to 3rd party developers? For whom are they adding them? Some people say we simmers aren't LM's target but I can't imagine a professional user of P3D really needs a few random 'default' helicopters. 

5 minutes ago, J van E said:

It is an interesting question though why LM does decide to add some things while leaving out others. Those new helicopters for instance: why not leave them to 3rd party developers? For whom are they adding them?

Didn LM buy Sikorsky? Thus it would be for their internal training needs.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Version 4.2 loaded and is running fine on my Commadore 64. Photo scenery clear, no studders, lighting is amazing and so come on developers....release all those neat new aircraft you have been holding back while waiting on this release.

• Upvote 4

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

3 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Version 4.2 loaded and is running fine on my Commadore 64. 

I wonder how many floppy disks that would translate to for installation

2 hours ago, TurboTomato said:

I run photoscenery on a modest system in 4.1 without issue?

I used to think there was no problem. But when using very hi resolution photoscenery, look into the mid-distance. I do now believe that the rendering is sub-par, and things look pretty blurry. The better the photoscenery is, the more you notice it (I'm using 12.5cm per pixel, with no compression/LOD level changes). LM seem to have - sort of - acknowledged a problem on their forum, so this was one of the two things I was hoping they might fix. An updated photoscenery rendering engine would be nice.

(the second thing I was hoping for were some VR updates, which they have moved forward with - hurrah!)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

Interested in the VR improvements here. Will look forward to trying this later. Seems LM are embracing VR as well.

Take a look at the replies I received from the LM folks. I have also seen very positive results posted. I haven’t had time to install the new version yet but it looks very promising!

Joe

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=128467&sid=ed6c91f6fc46bbe570e2b4b0479d65e5

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

20 minutes ago, pmb said:

Didn LM buy Sikorsky? Thus it would be for their internal training needs.

Kind regards, Michael

Hm, okay... but you'd think the pro's need more than a default (meaning 'rather simple') heli for training. Unless the new heli's are 'study level payware quality'? Or perhaps LM internal training needs don't require any deep simulation. :happy: