Sign in to follow this  
CB_Pilot

FSX:SE Home Screen Has Changed - Why?

Same here I am connected to the internet. Regardless of what Jim says something has changed. We can't all be wrong.

'bbogdansk' posted this on Steam in case anyone has not seen it:

Quote:

"Incorrect home page fix for FSX: Steam Edition

I fixed the error that was showing the wrong webpage when starting FSX:Steam Edition. 

The home page was directed to "http://www.fsinsider.com" which does not exist.

I replaced the file "gshome.spb" with a recompiled file which directs the home page to "http://www.fsxworld.com/products/games/FSXInsider/fsxlauncher.html" which is the new site that should appear.

Here's what I did, this is what the new "gshome.xml" looks like :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimUIResource" id="gsnews" version="1,0">
<Descr>Microsoft Flight Simulator UI Resource Document</Descr>
<Filename>gshome.spb</Filename>
<SimUI.Dialog id="gsnews">
<Size>1024,768</Size>
<Position>0,0</Position>
<Descr>Flight Simulator Dialog Template</Descr>
<Caption>HOME</Caption>
<SizeToContent>true</SizeToContent>
<Label id="lblBrowser">
<Visible>false</Visible>
<Position>211,80</Position>
<Size>805,585</Size>
<SizeToContent>false</SizeToContent>
</Label>
<HtmlDocument id="urlFirst">
<Filename>../fsweb/gettingstarted/gettingstarted.htm</Filename>
</HtmlDocument>
<HtmlDocument id="urlXPackFirst">
<Filename>../fsweb/learningcenter/keyconcepts/whatschanged.htm</Filename>
</HtmlDocument>
<HtmlDocument id="urlLocal">
<Filename>gs01.htm</Filename>
</HtmlDocument>
<HtmlDocument id="urlLive">
<Filename>http://www.fsxworld.com/products/games/FSXInsider/fsxlauncher.html</Filename>
</HtmlDocument>
</SimUI.Dialog>
</SimBase.Document>

Then using the "simpropcompiler.exe" in the FSX SDK, compiled it back to "gshome.spb"

I have placed the original "gshome.spb" as "gshome.spb.old" as well as the new "gshome.spb" in the Dialogs folder

If you want the new file, pls post or check avsim library! " end quote

Hope that helps.

Edited by antonmorse
spelling
  • Upvote 2

On 3 May 2018 at 4:18 PM, Corrie said:

Still not fixed and it is now May.

Regards

Did you read the post above yours?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, antonmorse said:

I have placed the original "gshome.spb" as "gshome.spb.old" as well as the new "gshome.spb" in the Dialogs folder

If you want the new file, pls post or check avsim library! " end quote

Hope that helps.

Thank you Antonmorse - your new gshome.spb file fixed the problem for me. I do appreciate you sharing that with AVSIM members. Great job.

• Like 1

Best regards

Rupert

13 hours ago, CB_Pilot said:

Thank you Antonmorse - your new gshome.spb file fixed the problem for me. I do appreciate you sharing that with AVSIM members. Great job.

No Problem, but just to emphasize, I did not make the edited file myself, I posted the info given by 'bbogdansk' who posted it on the Steam FSX forum, so all credit goes to him for creating the file.

🙂

• Upvote 1

Hey!

I made my fix for the right page, (but clicking on page links do not work for some reason?)

Manually or automatic file link

BELOW IS MY FIX FOR THE INCORRECT FSXINSIDER WEBPAGE WHEN STARTING FSX:SE

try this, or below is a link to my fix files:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incorrect home page fix for FSX: Steam Edition:

I fixed the error that was showing the wrong webpage when starting FSX:Steam Edition. The home page was directed to "http://www.fsinsider.com" which does not exist. I replaced the file "gshome.spb" with a recompiled file which directs the home page to "http://www.fsxworld.com/products/games/FSXInsider/fsxlauncher.html" which is the new site that should appear.

I used "spb2xml.exe" to de-compile "gshome.spb" to "gshome.xml" then replaced the line under <HtmlDocument id="urlLive"> to: <Filename>http://www.fsxworld.com/products/games/FSXInsider/fsxlauncher.html</Filename> and re-compiled the "gshome.xml" file back to a new "gshome.spb" file.

How to install:

Simply copy and replace the "Dialogs" folders to your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" or wherever your main FSX folder location is located.

That's it!

Next time you start your FSX: Steam Edition, you will have the correct webpage shown, and not the "site not found" error.

(this worked for me, so I cannot guraentee the same results)

***TESTED WITH FSX:STEAM EDITION ONLY!***

Here's what I did, this is what the new "gshome.xml" looks like :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimUIResource" id="gsnews" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Microsoft Flight Simulator UI Resource Document</Descr>
  <Filename>gshome.spb</Filename>
  <SimUI.Dialog id="gsnews">
    <Size>1024,768</Size>
    <Position>0,0</Position>
    <Descr>Flight Simulator Dialog Template</Descr>
    <Caption>HOME</Caption>
    <SizeToContent>true</SizeToContent>
    <Label id="lblBrowser">
      <Visible>false</Visible>
      <Position>211,80</Position>
      <Size>805,585</Size>
      <SizeToContent>false</SizeToContent>
    </Label>
    <HtmlDocument id="urlFirst">
      <Filename>../fsweb/gettingstarted/gettingstarted.htm</Filename>
    </HtmlDocument>
    <HtmlDocument id="urlXPackFirst">
      <Filename>../fsweb/learningcenter/keyconcepts/whatschanged.htm</Filename>
    </HtmlDocument>
    <HtmlDocument id="urlLocal">
      <Filename>gs01.htm</Filename>
    </HtmlDocument>
    <HtmlDocument id="urlLive">
      <Filename>http://www.fsxworld.com/products/games/FSXInsider/fsxlauncher.html</Filename>
    </HtmlDocument>
  </SimUI.Dialog>
</SimBase.Document>

Then using the "simpropcompiler.exe" in the FSX SDK, compiled it back to "gshome.spb"

Good to go?

"Eyes To The Skies!"

Made by:
Braden Bogdan

bbogdansk
CaptainSask
bbsask

LINK:

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO GO DIRECTLY TO MY FIX FILE LOCATION, OR COPY/PASTE THE LINK ADDRESS BELOW

gshome.spb fix

(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cRgvFdGWDJz2jnAEePOsa_b3tYMpMbJM)

On 5/13/2018 at 5:56 AM, antonmorse said:

No Problem, but just to emphasize, I did not make the edited file myself, I posted the info given by 'bbogdansk' who posted it on the Steam FSX forum, so all credit goes to him for creating the file.

🙂

Thanks guys!

Appreciate the good word!

Braden

On 3 April 2018 at 4:55 PM, Corrie said:

Same here I am connected to the internet. Regardless of what Jim says something has changed. We can't all be wrong.

Hi there please can you help you me, having the same problem, go to fsx says I'm not connected to the Internet, the homepage dosen't seem to come on and my weather dosen't seem to update, there some solutions but I'm not a computer wiz could you help because I don't think it's my system because the other people with the same problem.

kind Regards nick

28 minutes ago, Nick12 said:

Hi there please can you help you me, having the same problem, go to fsx says I'm not connected to the Internet, the homepage doesn't seem to come on and my weather doesn't seem to update, there some solutions but I'm not a computer wiz could you help because I don't think it's my system because the other people with the same problem.

kind Regards nick

Your weather, assuming in in-Sim weather updated every 15 minutes, hasn't been working for a long time.  I don't think I have ever gone to the FSX "Home" page.  Doubt that I have missed much.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

37 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Your weather, assuming in in-Sim weather updated every 15 minutes, hasn't been working for a long time.  I don't think I have ever gone to the FSX "Home" page.  Doubt that I have missed much.

Believe he is referring to the FSX-SE homepage, not FSX as the topic title is about FSX-SE.  FSX boxed real weather does not work?  It was working for me recently.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

Believe he is referring to the FSX-SE homepage, not FSX as the topic title is about FSX-SE.  FSX boxed real weather does not work?  It was working for me recently.

OK, basically the same FSInsider homepage for boxed FSX.  FSX real weather does not update anymore.  The weather that was entered into the sever(s) is several many months old.  In essence, the weather works, just not updated to the present conditions.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It works but not all of the time.  In any case, it is not a problem for me as I could care less if the weather works or not and is exactly the conditions outside my window or not.  If I want to fly in rain (if it is raining outside my window), I can click on one of the raining themes.  My simulator will not know it is not the real thing but just a theme with rain in it.  😎

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Same with me, Jim!  Weather is weather, whether or not!😀

My home screen for my boxed FSX after getting rid of the bad script error:

Home.JPG

• Like 1

Charlie Aron