Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

What is the ultimate P3D PC build for 2018?

If price were not an issue, what would the ultimate consumer level machine be? i7-8700k? i9? 

I've got a pretty strong i7-6700k machine but always like to upgrade (partial or full) every 18 months or so. Put the PMDG 747 at FlyTampa AMS at ultra settings at dusk or night with some weather and I see under 10FPS. 

Current:

i7-6700k (overclocked to 4.6Ghz)

Asus Z170 Deluxe

Asus GTX1080 Strix

32gb Corsair DDR4 3200

2TB Samsung M.2 2TB

Thoughts? 

If money is not an issue, give a call to the guys at http://jetlinesystems.com/

Keep in mind that the website does not have all their products listed, but you can get an idea. Its best to call and get a custom build for the flight simming you do.

Even if you don't buy from them, you will have an idea of what is required for the add-ons you prefer, If you do buy from them, they will set you up with a "mother of all PC's". 

Say bye to 10 FPS 

i don't know what the current roadmap is exactly for cannon lake, it might be worth waiting for the next refresh because it will solve the spectre/meltdown exploits in hardware and skip the current troubles with that. unless you desperately need to upgrade (which imho you don't that system looks pretty decent already) it might be worth waiting to see a little more info about when they are releasing anyway... 

https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-hints-that-cannon-lake-and-ice-lake-will-not-be-affected-by-current-exploits/

for some reason i'm thinking that i heard it was mid 2018 for those but i don't really know if there's an official announcement anywhere

cheers,-andy crosby

I would go for a i9 79xxx 2066 platform with fast RAM (32GB, > 3600) but wait for the next NVIDIA GPU generation (Volta/Ampere with at least 12 GB VRAM).

• Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I definitely would not build in the first quarter of this year anyway there is already rumours the 2080 with either Volta or ampere arcitecture could be out as soon as April and we might know more about cannon lake, we're still not sure a z370 board will have the correct socket. Funny we have the exact same rig apart from GPU so I'm also following the hardware news for upgrade advice but at the moment apart from the ssds (3.5 TB ) corsair RAM and PSU it's looking like complete rebuild more then a slight upgrade

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

7 hours ago, avi8tir said:

If price were not an issue, what would the ultimate consumer level machine be? i7-8700k? i9? 

I've got a pretty strong i7-6700k machine but always like to upgrade (partial or full) every 18 months or so. Put the PMDG 747 at FlyTampa AMS at ultra settings at dusk or night with some weather and I see under 10FPS. 

Current:

i7-6700k (overclocked to 4.6Ghz)

Asus Z170 Deluxe

Asus GTX1080 Strix

32gb Corsair DDR4 3200

2TB Samsung M.2 2TB

Thoughts? 

To be honest, you cannot have particularly bad performance with that setup.  In my opinion, you'll be wasting your money for very little gain - I used to be on a 2 year renewal cycle too.  But since P3D, I've managed to hold off for 4 years and I'm still getting good performance.  

• Upvote 3

Holding off for the next big thing soon to be announced is one approach.  I like to buy my cars when they are 1 year old, still in warranty and almost like new and they actually seem new to me but I've saved significantly by dodging that new car immediate depreciation when it leaves the lot.  A good time to buy new technology is after it has been released for at least 6 months for much the same reason.  Prices are coming down, it still has the great performance that everyone squealed about six months ago and I save some money.

I have a 6700K water cooled to 4.7GHz with a 980Ti.  I am taking deliveries this week on my new components to update the 6700K with a 8700K on a Z370 Pro Gamers I7 mobo, 32GB 3600 MHz DDR4 and dual 1080Ti's.  I'm cutting costs by retaining case, power supply, cooler and drives.  This will be my first SLI build so I am pretty excited.  I plan to fire up the new mobo with 980Ti and run some performance tests then slip in the SLI duo and see what happens. 

The "ultimate" would imply the best you can get regardless of money..... I've managed to acquire my money by not purchasing such things.

Dan Downs KCRP

i would hold off on a new system, you clearly have a monster rig already.

i am running a i7 4790k at 4.7ghz

2 titans sc sli 

2400 16gb ram 

ssdx 2

asus vi extreme 

and running well

only thing I am doing this year is selling my titans and getting either 1080ti or 2080ti

cheers

mike

19 hours ago, mikeymike said:

i would hold off on a new system, you clearly have a monster rig already.

i am running a i7 4790k at 4.7ghz

2 titans sc sli 

2400 16gb ram 

ssdx 2

asus vi extreme 

and running well

only thing I am doing this year is selling my titans and getting either 1080ti or 2080ti

cheers

mike

Good plan Mike, but let me share with you my experience when I moved from the 4790K 4.6GHz to the 6700K 4.7GHz that regardless of the similar overclock, the 6700K performed noticeably better, which I attribute to the DDR4 memory running at 3400 Mhz.  Of course I do not SLI and do not see the gains from that but there is still much reliance in P3D on CPU and is often the bottleneck rather than GPU.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 hours ago, downscc said:

Good plan Mike, but let me share with you my experience when I moved from the 4790K 4.6GHz to the 6700K 4.7GHz that regardless of the similar overclock, the 6700K performed noticeably better, which I attribute to the DDR4 memory running at 3400 Mhz.  Of course I do not SLI and do not see the gains from that but there is still much reliance in P3D on CPU and is often the bottleneck rather than GPU.

No doubt about it, I would love to also upgrade my cpu mobile and ram,

but think my wife would have my balls under the guillotine knife lol

gpu this year

and the rest next year.

or maybe sooner if I win the lottery lol.

cheers

mike