Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

4.2 Update

Since this was the first time that I updated my version of Prepar3d, from v4.1 to 4.2., I would like some clarification if I did things correctly: I followed the instructions from LM on the downloads page. First off, I uninstalled the Client and reinstalled it and continued with the same process for the scenery and content. However, do I also need to uninstalled and reinstall my entire P3d application as the last step? Or am I good to go? 

Kind regards, 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

1 hour ago, ssair1 said:

Since this was the first time that I updated my version of Prepar3d, from v4.1 to 4.2., I would like some clarification if I did things correctly: I followed the instructions from LM on the downloads page. First off, I uninstalled the Client and reinstalled it and continued with the same process for the scenery and content. However, do I also need to uninstalled and reinstall my entire P3d application as the last step? Or am I good to go? 

Kind regards, 

You're good to go.

1 hour ago, FlightSimmer68 said:

This is a great video on how to do it:

Start watching at 12 mins.

Thank you for this, but in the video, he deactivates P3d during the client uninstall, I didn't deactivate mine, should I? 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

Not necessary.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This is the first time I have updated P3D. I am going from 4.0 to 4.2.

How do I know if I just need to update the client or if I need to update other components?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Or, does anyone know what I need to update?

I've read the release notes and the instructions, but I didn't find the answer.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Definitely the client. The content is recommended by some (though I haven't seen whether it's absolutely necessary), but it's a very quick process, so I don't see why you wouldn't update it. The scenery only has a few minor changes that are not required. Read through the 4.1. and 4.2 release notes to see whether any of those changes in the scenery are something that is of interest to you. Most avoid updating the scenery because doing so forces the reinstallation of some addons, namely Orbx FTX Global for one.

Walter Meier

15 hours ago, wsmeier said:

Definitely the client. The content is recommended by some (though I haven't seen whether it's absolutely necessary), but it's a very quick process, so I don't see why you wouldn't update it. The scenery only has a few minor changes that are not required. Read through the 4.1. and 4.2 release notes to see whether any of those changes in the scenery are something that is of interest to you. Most avoid updating the scenery because doing so forces the reinstallation of some addons, namely Orbx FTX Global for one.

Thanks. I did the client and things seem to be working. I was reluctant to do content, because I read somewhere (P3D forum, perhaps) that the update could overwrite add on files. The change logs that LM releases are not terribly helpful. There is probably a better way to disseminate the info, so people know exactly what is contained in each of the new components and whether they are required.