Sign in to follow this  
Dreamsofwings1

Sunlight cast on a/c and ground abruptly changes with head angle

Hi, just made the switch from FSX-SE to P3D v4 and overall very impressed.  Have some stutter issues that I am working on but feels a much smoother more realistic training tool.

I did a dawn flight for first time in P3D and noticed that as I looked around from dead ahead to left for example, the sunlight changes abruptly as it flicks off/flicks on depending on what angle the view is at.  I am talking about the golden sunlight cast on the engine cowling, cockpit combing and the ground.  

I am using PTA, ASCA, ENVTEX, and Chaseplane with TrackIR.

I cannot find much about this issue so any help would be much appreciated.

Warbird and GA pilot on P3Dv5 & MSFS

Dreamsofwings YouTube channel

You are not alone...do you use some "sun flare" tweaks ? Have the same tools running PTA, TrackIR, SkyForce...it looks, for me, like a "cutoff" shadow glich...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Everyone has this. It mainly is a shadow problem. Whenever you look around the shadows change or are cut off somehow. It can be quite annoying. And there is nothing you can do about it.

Disappointing indeed. P3D still has some big (FSX/ESP related) issues...

Can you post a video of this happening please? I recall someone have a similar problem and fixing it.

But I want to be sure it is the same issue.

Regards,
Simbol

33 minutes ago, simbol said:

I recall someone have a similar problem and fixing it.

If you managed fix this you will be the P3D hero of the month for sure!

19 minutes ago, J van E said:

:cool:

André

38 minutes ago, J van E said:

I need the video first to confirm if the problem is the same..

Regards,
Simbol

What about disappearing jetbridges when doing the same thing?  I guess that's still happening too.  

33 minutes ago, ErichB said:

What about disappearing jetbridges when doing the same thing?  I guess that's still happening too.  

IIRC that was related to the ClipMode of your current camera definition. Setting "Clipmode=Minimum" in cameras.cfg or aircraft.cfg (depending on where the camera definition for your current view is) can help with that (the parameter is added to / changed in every CameraDefinition where you need it). This reduces the distance where the depiction process would "clip" an object, texture, shadow etc. because it thinks that you can't see it anyway.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

17 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

IIRC that was related to the ClipMode of your current camera definition. Setting "Clipmode=Minimum" in cameras.cfg or aircraft.cfg (depending on where the camera definition for your current view is) can help with that (the parameter is added to / changed in every CameraDefinition where you need it). This reduces the distance where the depiction process would "clip" an object, texture, shadow etc. because it thinks that you can't see it anyway.

Best regards

Thanks Oliver.  Always something new to learn.

Yes I have seen this before, it can be caused sometimes by modified shaders.

On your case it could be your current PTA set and the combination with EVENTEX.

I suggest you disable EVENTEX first, clear your shaders and try again, if the problem continues try without PTA, clear shaders and repeat.

This will ensure these are or not the culprits, if not I have other ideas, but lets try that first.

Regards 

Simbol