Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

New to Prepar3Dv4 - Getting Stutters

Greetings all,

Yesterday I purchased, downloaded and installed Prepar3Dv4.2 (This is the first time I've used P3D). I have not added on anything as of yet. When I load a default aircraft (Bonanza, for example), I am getting a stutter about every 1 - 2 seconds. Pretty much makes the sim unusable for me. I have purchased the Process Lasso CPU manager software as I saw it recommended in a couple of threads https://bitsum.com/, but that did not fix the problem. I have also updated my video and sound card drivers to the latest versions.

I have my graphics, display and nvidia inspector settings set to those recommended for my video card on various threads. My PC is relatively new, as I had it built in November 2017. It runs FSX-SE (lots of add ons) and X-Plane 11.1 flawlessly. Here are my PC specs:

Corsair Hydro Series Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K 4.2 GHz

LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST

2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD 

Toshiba 3TB Desktop 7200RPM Internal HD

Corsair Power Supply RMX 850W

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case

MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 SLI DirectX 12 VR Ready Graphics Card

Windows 10 Home

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Scott

Edited by ndflieger
Added info

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Can you post your P3D settings?  You're machine is very similar to mine and I don't have any stuttering issues.

Here are my settings:

0dtRsEI.jpg

qCTgsKv.jpg

qoN1nnQ.jpg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I will give your settings a try. Sorry, but I don't know how to insert images into a post here - I'll figure that out when I have the time ;-)

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Hi Gridley,

I tried your settings, but it didn't make any difference. Stutters are still there.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Cebula

1 minute ago, ndflieger said:

Hi Gridley,

I tried your settings, but it didn't make any difference. Stutters are still there.

Regards,

Scott

Try Vsync on and tic triple buffering.

Hi Sbague,

Thanks for that tip - but it didn't help.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Cebula

I have the same setup as you Scott. Get "Micro" stutters, not really pauses  but very minute stutters in quick turns. Tried everything here and there everyone suggested and things you couldn't imagine. Both P3DV3 and 4. Xplane 11 is smooth as silk. I'll set here on the fence post and read all the suggestions. :) . Unlimited, Vsync on seems the best for me.

Hi Tony & Adrian,

Yes, Windows Defender is running.

I may have gotten lucky and fixed it. I followed the "repair" instructions contained in the post in this link. You have to scroll down a bit to get to it:

Loaded the sim with the default settings and with the same aircraft and location I had been testing at. All worked well. I exited the sim, started it back up and changed the options settings to my preferences. The pause/stutter is not there any longer.

Hope things stay good. Will do more testing tomorrow and add some things.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Cebula

If you're using FSUIPC v5.123x revert back to v5.122--there's apparently a problem with 5.123c that causes exactly those sorts of stutters and Pete Dowson won't be back to look at it for another week.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Please try this suggestion. I'd be surprised if you don't see a big improvement. If you haven't already done so...

• Switch off HDR
  • Switch off dynamic lighting
  • Don't be drawn into copying others' settings, start by all sliders at half way and don't move autogen draw distance more than medium
  • Set AA to either 8MSAA or 4SSAA or less
  • This is the big one: Delete your cfg file, restart p3d. Then close down and open the cfg file. Don't add anything except FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 to the MAIN section.
  • Then go into display properties and set your monitor refresh rate to 30Hz then lock your framerate in P3D settings to 30 and Switch Vsync on.

Any one of these has a big impact on performance, used together they should help you a lot. The last two tweaks will help enormously with smoothness. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do have the latest of Dowson's utility. Will look more into that tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Cebula

I added affinity in prepar3d.cfg

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=31  // all 6 cores for a 8600K

This does NOT change any affinity (as per Task Manager) but stutters, gone ........

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10