Sign in to follow this  
Hilkiah

menu selection problem after P3D v4.2 upgrade

15 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Well at the very least LM should’ve notified prospective users of 4.2 that if they didn’t update the content they’d run into a major glitch like this. Isn’t that obvious?

Maybe they just forgot to tell users. When they updated the old menu to use Scaleform (from 3.0 to 3.1 I think), it ALSO affected GSX, and users were ALSO mistakenly assuming, just like you are, the problem had something to do with GSX and, of course, it didn't had anything to do with it, it DID require to update with the Content and no, there was no mention of this specific issue in the release notes.

You seem to be willfully ingnoring the fact that many users including me are having this issue without ChasePlane installed. Let’s be clear here, this has got zero to do with that addon. Many users including me are having GSX problem even without ChasePlane and you still stubbornly assert it’s anything to do with Chaseplane whereas it is NOT. Enough proof has been provided so your argument is invalid.  

You are suborning/willfully ignoring the fact that users are having this problem even without GSX. They got it with AS and ProATC as well. 

And on the ridiculous point you made that GSX is only a VICTIM of it, yeah it may be but it ultimately lies on you to sort this issue because both GSX and ProATC need to modify the code to adapt to the recent changes and fixes introduced by 4.2.

There are no changes in the Simconnect menu in 4.2 that we need to do. How else you explain that several users FIXED IT in different ways, and NONE of the fixes ever required acting on GSX ?

Please, stop embarrassing yourself by continuing to post this nonsense about an supposed "bug" in 3 separate apps (GSX, ProATC and AS) which, for some reason, several users have already fixed it without touching ANYTHING on ANY of them.

I'm not sure Chaseplane it's the problem. I just read another user report that seemed to indicate this was the case.

However, at page 2 of this forum, there's this message from J van E, which might be useful:

Someone on the ProATC forum found a workaround that works for me but probably not for the OP. In my case the window for Active Sky wouldn't work. I had changed the shortcut to 7 (the key above the Y and U). After resetting it to the default Control-F11 the window worked again! Turns out the SimConnect window has issues when you use the keys 1 to 0 for shortcuts! Assigning any other key solves this!

So, could be that, all those users that fixed in different ways, all had ONE of their addons using one of the menu selection keys from 1 to 0 ? Maybe it was FSUIPC for someone, and Chaseplane from somebody else.

It's possible you have any other addon using one of these keys, so it's automatically sending key events to ANY app that has a choice menu ?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bardia said:

It’s actually very simple and I’m at loss for any simpler way to explain this. 

LM fixed a few of the simconnect issue by 4.2 and now developers have to modify their addons to make them work seemlessly with the upgraded simconnect. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with LM. They only quashed the bugs. 

And frankly, Umberto’s condescending attitude towards customers is slowly but surely turning into a full-scale PR disaster and a massive scandal. 

Umberto! Act with urgency, apologise profusely to all of those affected and promise you’ll fix the defects and shortcomings in your code and we may continue supporting you. Start regaining our long lost trust today. 

I've spent a LOT of time on this situation and i can't see how it can be GSX. GSX just uses the menu, the menu is not created by GSX. 

Just now, Mejjo said:

I've spent a LOT of time on this situation and i can't see how it can be GSX. GSX just uses the menu, the menu is not created by GSX. 

No that’s not what I’m saying. LM fixed several bugs in simconnect whic rendered a few addons using it problematic. Now developmers of affected addons must change the code to suit the new simconnect environment. I’m in no way claiming it’s a problem with GSX. The new simconnect changes have caused issues to all simconnect using addons GSX being one of them. And they all have to adapt their software to the new standard. Further clarification?

No that’s not what I’m saying. LM fixed several bugs in simconnect whic rendered a few addons using it problematic. Now developmers of affected addons must change the code to suit the new simconnect environment. I’m in no way claiming it’s a problem with GSX. The new simconnect changes have caused issues to all simconnect using addons GSX being one of them. And they all have to adapt their software to the new standard. Further clarification?

So technically what you are saying is that GSX is not fully compatible with the simconnect that's now in version 4.2?

2 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

After all the multiple witnesses that this problem can be fixed in different ways, and none of them requiring to act on GSX, any reasonable person should immediately understand GSX couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.

Anybody even with a cursory knowledge of Simconnect, will know that applications are entirely passive in the way they reply to menu events. They just listen to what the sim is doing, and the whole handling of the keyboard is done entirely by the sim, which will make the menu disappear as soon a key is pressed. The app is notified of a menu choice only AFTER the menu has been closed by the sim.

2 minutes ago, virtuali said:

After all the multiple witnesses that this problem can be fixed in different ways, and none of them requiring to act on GSX, any reasonable person should immediately understand GSX couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.

Anybody even with a cursory knowledge of Simconnect, will know that applications are entirely passive in the way they reply to menu events. They just listen to what the sim is doing, and the whole handling of the keyboard is done entirely by the sim, which will make the menu disappear as soon a key is pressed. The app is notified of a menu choice only AFTER the menu has been closed by the sim.

I wish one of these fixes would work for me. There is nothing left for me to "fix" after running this on a completely fresh install of P3D. 

6 minutes ago, Bardia said:

- There hasn't been any changes in the updated Simconnect that are related to the menu.

- The issue doesn't affect all users

- Several of users which were previously affected, fixed without changing/upgrading any of their previously affected apps.

Just now, Mejjo said:

I wish one of these fixes would work for me. There is nothing left for me to "fix" after running this on a completely fresh install of P3D. 

Have you verified that none of the addons you use has been assigned to use one of the 1-0 keys ? That was another fix posted earlier in this thread.

Just now, virtuali said:

Have you verified that none of the addons you use has been assigned to use one of the 1-0 keys ? That was another fix posted earlier in this thread.

I'll check this and report back. Even if that is the case, Would it still cause the issue? They key would need to be pressed wouldn't it?

6 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Maybe they just forgot to tell users. When they updated the old menu to use Scaleform (from 3.0 to 3.1 I think), it ALSO affected GSX, and users were ALSO mistakenly assuming, just like you are, the problem had something to do with GSX and, of course, it didn't had anything to do with it, it DID require to update with the Content and no, there was no mention of this specific issue in the release notes.

You are suborning/willfully ignoring the fact that users are having this problem even without GSX. They got it with AS and ProATC as well. 

There are no changes in the Simconnect menu in 4.2 that we need to do. How else you explain that several users FIXED IT in different ways, and NONE of the fixes ever required acting on GSX ?

Please, stop embarrassing yourself by continuing to post this nonsense about an supposed "bug" in 3 separate apps (GSX, ProATC and AS) which, for some reason, several users have already fixed it without touching ANYTHING on ANY of them.

I'm not sure Chaseplane it's the problem. I just read another user report that seemed to indicate this was the case.

However, at page 2 of this forum, there's this message from J van E, which might be useful:

So, could be that, all those users that fixed in different ways, all had ONE of their addons using one of the menu selection keys from 1 to 0 ? Maybe it was FSUIPC for someone, and Chaseplane from somebody else.

It's possible you have any other addon using one of these keys, so it's automatically sending key events to ANY app that has a choice menu ?

Ok let me tell you who it is that’s embarrasing themselves by refusing to stop posting nonsense and random misinformation on this thread. 

So I’m glad you admitted your first mistake when going on about the beta content fix nonsense. LM would be so stupid as to forget listing such a pivotal information that leads to potentially sim-breaking consequences if ignored. So drop this talk, you have made plenty enough laughable stuff with great comic value. 

And then you went on to further entertain us by saying other addons are experiencing this too. Well a platform has changed, and all of those addons, including yours, need to take action to tailor their addons to the new simconnect. You see, easy! How easy should I put this for you to comprehend? You should all modify the code to match the new simconnect. 

And now I wonder who’s the one embarrasing themselves by continuing to post arbitrary uninformed gibberish intended to deceive and manipulate the customer. 

But no sorry, I’m not the huggy wuggy type easily fooled into disinformation by such propaganda. Man up and admit the error and you’ll repair some of the damage done to your already ridiculed image. 

12 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Ok let me tell you who it is that’s embarrasing themselves by refusing to stop posting nonsense and random misinformation on this thread. 

You are.

So I’m glad you admitted your first mistake when going on about the beta content fix nonsense. LM would be so stupid as to forget listing such a pivotal information that leads to potentially sim-breaking consequences if ignored. So drop this talk, you have made plenty enough laughable stuff with great comic value. 

What "mistake" ? I just told you it already happened: when LM changed the menu system from the old one to the new one, it required some files which were only available in the Content installer and, nowhere in the release notes it was indicated that, when updating with just the Client, all 3rd party application with a Simconnect menu would stop to work.

And then you went on to further entertain us by saying other addons are experiencing this too. Well a platform has changed, and all of those addons, including yours, need to take action to tailor their addons to the new simconnect. You see, easy! How easy should I put this for you to comprehend? You should all modify the code to match the new simconnect. 

You keep repeating this but, repeating something doesn't make it more true.

And now I wonder who’s the one embarrasing themselves by continuing to post arbitrary uninformed gibberish intended to deceive and manipulate the customer. 

That's precisely what you are being doing here. You are confusing fellow users by spreading false informations that several 3rd party apps require updates, even if they don't. 

See here, further confirmation the issue doesn't have anything to do with what you think it's happening:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=128537#p175268

"Issue seems to be that the last number you press is being stored somewhere and is being called upon when you load a SimConnect window, instantly selecting said option in the menu. So for example if I press "3" and then proceed to load up a SimConnect window it'll instantly select option 3."

I just tried it now and YES, it exactly what it's happening! I can replicate it too, if I press 3 a couple of times *before* opening ANY menu from ANY application, whatever option is assigned to N. 3, gets automatically selected.

So, this clearly confirms it's some issue related to flushing the keybord, which is happening entirely inside the sim.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, virtuali said:

You are.

What "mistake" ? I just told you it already happened: when LM changed the menu system from the old one to the new one, it required some files which were only available in the Content installer and, nowhere in the release notes it was indicated that, when updating with just the Client, all 3rd party application with a Simconnect menu would stop to work.

That's precisely what you are being doing here. You are confusing fellow users by spreading false informations that several 3rd party apps require updates, even if they don't. 

See here, further confirmation the issue doesn't have anything to do with what you think it's happening:

"Issue seems to be that the last number you press is being stored somewhere and is being called upon when you load a SimConnect window, instantly selecting said option in the menu. So for example if I press "3" and then proceed to load up a SimConnect window it'll instantly select option 3."

I just tried it now and YES, it exactly what it's happening! I can replicate it too, if I press 3 a couple of times *before* opening ANY menu from ANY application, whatever option is assigned to N. 3, gets automatically selected.

So, this clearly confirms it's some issue related to flushing the keybord, which is happening entirely inside the sim.

I have just checked and i have numbers set for a couple of views within Chaseplane. So this is exactly what's going on then. Has anything been said about a fix for this? Thank you for finding that link. Appreciate it! 

14 minutes ago, virtuali said:

You are.

After reading the link, I’m convinced my take on this has been incorrect. I stand corrected and thank you for clearing this up. 

After reading the link, I’m convinced my take on this has been incorrect. I stand corrected and thank you for clearing this up. 

Further confirmation, try this:

- Open the default ATC menu, select option 1

- Open GSX (or any other Simconnect app), and option 1 will be automatically selected!

It's clearly some issue happening entirely inside the sim.

I hope they can release some sort of hotfix for this and not make us wait for 4.3.