Sign in to follow this  
Hilkiah

menu selection problem after P3D v4.2 upgrade

Hmm......I just fired up p3d (after deleting all FSUIPC related files from the modules subdirectory), FSUIPC no longer appears under Add-ons.  I loaded up KDEN then AS and saw snow for the first time since installing P3d (very nice).  Anyway I tested the GSX and AS menus and they appeared to be working ok (i..e no vanishing menus).   I then started Pro ATC and called up its menu and again...working ok.  So I decided to do a flight in earnest as oppose to mere testing.  So I started up Chaseplane and called up Pro ATC to get clearance and boom....problem started again.  I waited a while and try to cal up GSX and boom...problem again.  I've since closed Chaseplane and will continue testing to see if that is not what is causing the problem...its too early to say but that's my current lead.

Hilkiah G. Lavinier

P3d v4.3, ORBX (global/trees/vector/LC,airports), Envshade/Envtek, Pilot2ATC, PRO-ATC, Navigraph, PFPX, ASCA/AS, Freemesh 2.0, Aivlasoft EFB v2, Various addon airports, FSL A319X/A320X, PMDG 737/777/747, TFDI 717, QW 787, Carenados jets

Intel i7 4790k (no OC & no hyperthreading), 16gb, Nvidia 980ti (no OC), 3xSSDs, Acer Predator XB281HK (4K resolution), Windows 10 (1803 build) - runs P3D 

Intel NUC7i7BNH i7, 16gb, M2 ssd, Windows 10 (build 1803) - runs AS/ASCA, Pilot2ATC, Aivlasoft EFB 

Sad to say, whenever I have Chaseplane running the vanishing menu problem manifests itself.  Once I exit Chaseplane (even without exiting the sim), the problem stops.  I'm gonna uninstall and reinstall Chaseplane.  I'm running the latest experimental build v0.4.191 beta exp. 

The problem is I can't fly without Chaseplane (grown so accustom to it).  Hope the reinstall will fix this.  

Hilkiah G. Lavinier

P3d v4.3, ORBX (global/trees/vector/LC,airports), Envshade/Envtek, Pilot2ATC, PRO-ATC, Navigraph, PFPX, ASCA/AS, Freemesh 2.0, Aivlasoft EFB v2, Various addon airports, FSL A319X/A320X, PMDG 737/777/747, TFDI 717, QW 787, Carenados jets

Intel i7 4790k (no OC & no hyperthreading), 16gb, Nvidia 980ti (no OC), 3xSSDs, Acer Predator XB281HK (4K resolution), Windows 10 (1803 build) - runs P3D 

Intel NUC7i7BNH i7, 16gb, M2 ssd, Windows 10 (build 1803) - runs AS/ASCA, Pilot2ATC, Aivlasoft EFB 

9 hours ago, virtuali said:

The various reports from several users that either didn't had the problem to begin with, or had the problem, but fixed it in several ways, such as using the "delete generated files" command, or reverting to an older FSUIPC version, should be proof enough there's no update required for the affected applications, which are NOT just GSX, but any application that uses the Simconnect menu.

As I've said, the problem with the menu appeared at some time during the beta, and it was fixed by LM with a subsequent build, and they said it required the content update.

So, maybe, there are many issues connected, so you might have to do all of this:

- Install P3D using the Full installer, not just the Client

AND

- Don't use the latest FSUIPC

AND

- Try the "Delete Generated Files" option in the P3D folder.

The only thing SURE, it's nothing that has anything to do with GSX.

Oh please for Pete’s sake how can you be so preternaturally word not allowed? Why would LM be so stupid as to not include such a fix under the content release notes? Come on you can do way better than this mate, get in touch with reality!

40 minutes ago, Hilkiah said:

I just tested (after running the delete generated files script) and unfortunately the same thing happens!  Worse still my addons are all screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!  A bit word not allowed at that.

According to the P3D SDK, this is what the -deletegenerated command line option does:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/sdk_overview.html

Deletes the contents of the following folders, which is where Prepar3D stores settings and cached data:

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

So yes, the scenery.cfg will be gone after this command, and the dll/exe.xml files will be too.

But of course, if developers followed the V4 SDK guidelines, didn't use the scenery.cfg or the dll/exe.xml files anymore, and installed using the suggested method of the add-on.xml, running this clean up command wouldn't cause any issues, because their add-on.xml would still be safe in the Documents\Prepar3d v4 Addons folder, and the sim auto-discovery would then automatically prompt to reconstruct a new add-ons.cfg in the %APPDATA% folder, with all your existing addons back in place, but with a cleaned up P3D configuration.

That's why LM suggest to install with the add-on.xml method: because they DO have cleaning options that refresh configuration files that, according to the SDK, should not be used by 3rd party addons. What if, in the next upgrade, they'll start to do an automatic clean up by default, when installing (which might not be a bad idea, IMHO...) ?

If you want to be able to properly maintain and troubleshoot your sim, start with complaining with developers claiming to be compatible with P3D V4, and at the same time ignore the V4 installation guidelines (which were announced first in V2.5), and assume it's like "an FSX with different registry keys and folder names"...

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Oh please for Pete’s sake how can you be so preternaturally word not allowed? Why would LM be so stupid as to not include such a fix under the content release notes? Come on you can do way better than this mate, get in touch with reality!

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

How either Pete or LM has anything to do with a problem, although it happened during the Beta, it's fixed in the release version and, from the latest reports, seems to be happening ONLY in combination with Chaseplane ?

• Upvote 1

Ok...reinstalling chaseplane doesn't fix the issue.  

At this stage I feel frustrated....am wondering if uninstalling EVERYTHING and reinstalling will fix this!

Hilkiah G. Lavinier

1 minute ago, Hilkiah said:

Ok...reinstalling chaseplane doesn't fix the issue.  

At this stage I feel frustrated....am wondering if uninstalling EVERYTHING and reinstalling will fix this!

Might be worth mentioning this to FSFX Packages about Chaseplane. I don't believe they have released any updates since 4.2? 

7 minutes ago, virtuali said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

How either Pete or LM has anything to do with a problem, although it happened during the Beta, it's fixed in the release version and, from the latest reports, seems to be happening ONLY in combination with Chaseplane ?

First, “for Pete’s sake” is an English phrase, google it. 

Second, and more importantly, you did not answer a very clear and specific question I asked you, and that is, why did LM not list the simconnect fix under the content section on this page? https://prepar3d.com/news/2018/02/114621/

Third, I DO NOT use Chaseplane or any other camera addon, I repeat, I DO NOT use Chaseplane Chaseplane or any other camera addon. And I still have this issue with GSX. 

You may have reasonable answers to the statements above, in which case please inform us of those answers.

But if you don’t, stop misleading other people and spreading blatantly false information and start digging deep into the code to fix the issue that is preventing the paying customers from using your software. And the sooner the better.

1 hour ago, Bardia said:

First, “for Pete’s sake” is an English phrase, google it. 

Well, since we were discussing FSUIPC, it didn't occurred to me this could mean something else...

1 hour ago, Bardia said:

Second, and more importantly, you did not answer a very clear and specific question I asked you, and that is, why did LM not list the simconnect fix under the content section on this page? https://prepar3d.com/news/2018/02/114621/

I think this should be fairly obvious: it's not a 4.1 bug that was fixed in 4.2, so there was no need to include it in the 4.2 release notes. It something that surfaced during the 4.2 beta, and it went away during the beta so, no need for LM to confuse non-beta users about it. There were tons of other issues that came up during the beta, and none of them ever made to the release notes.

I mentioned it only because, when it was fixed, LM posted on the developers forum a notice that it required a content update so, I though to offer this as an useful information that might have helped someone.

1 hour ago, Bardia said:

Third, I DO NOT use Chaseplane or any other camera addon, I repeat, I DO NOT use Chaseplane Chaseplane or any other camera addon. And I still have this issue with GSX. 

No, you don't have any issue with GSX.

You are confusing it with a GSX issue, just because GSX happens to use the menu, but it's a P3D issue, that is possibly (but we don't know exactly), caused by a 3rd party add (because some users said THEY fixed it that way), or can possibly be an internal P3D issue, and it affects equally all applications with a menu, like ProATC, for example. So, clearly, GSX doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just another victim of it.

1 hour ago, Bardia said:

You may have reasonable answers to the statements above, in which case please inform us of those answers.

I already gave plenty of reasonable answers, and several users already fixed the issue, and non of the fixes which has been reported to work ever required acting on GSX.

1 hour ago, Bardia said:

But if you don’t, stop misleading other people and spreading blatantly false information and start digging deep into the code to fix the issue that is preventing the paying customers from using your software. And the sooner the better.

It's you that should stop misleading other people and spread blatantly false information about this could be possibly related to GSX, when clearly isn't.

How do you explain THIS report from Hilkiah ?

"Sad to say, whenever I have Chaseplane running the vanishing menu problem manifests itself.  Once I exit Chaseplane (even without exiting the sim), the problem stops."

then:

"Anyway I tested the GSX and AS menus and they appeared to be working ok (i..e no vanishing menus).   I then started Pro ATC and called up its menu and again...working ok."

then:

"So I started up Chaseplane and called up Pro ATC to get clearance and boom....problem started again."

See here ? No mention of GSX, which was working up to a moment before. How you could possibly say this is anything related to GSX ?

• Upvote 1

After hours and checking this and checking that... It has GOT to be an issue with P3D. It has nothing to do with GSX. All GSX is doing is using the menu. At first i thought it was GSX but taking a closer look its not. Its very very annoying. I'm going to try and take this up with Lockheed again. 

7 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Well, since we were discussing FSUIPC, it didn't occurred to me this could mean something else...

I think this should be fairly obvious: it's not a 4.1 bug that was fixed in 4.2, so there was no need to include it in the 4.2 release notes. It something that surfaced during the 4.2 beta, and it went away during the beta so, no need for LM to confuse non-beta users about it. There were tons of other issues that came up during the beta, and none of them ever made to the release notes.

I mentioned it only because, when it was fixed, LM posted on the developers forum a notice that it required a content update so, I though to offer this as an useful information that might have helped someone.

No, you don't have any issue with GSX.

You are confusing it with a GSX issue, just because GSX happens to use the menu, but it's a P3D issue, that is possibly (but we don't know exactly), caused by a 3rd party add (because some users said THEY fixed it that way), or can possibly be an internal P3D issue, and it affects equally all applications with a menu, like ProATC, for example. So, clearly, GSX doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just another victim of it.

I already gave plenty of reasonable answers, and several users already fixed the issue, and non of the fixes which has been reported to work ever required acting on GSX.

It's you that should stop misleading other people and spread blatantly false information about this could be possibly related to GSX, when clearly isn't.

How do you explain THIS report from Hilkiah ?

"Sad to say, whenever I have Chaseplane running the vanishing menu problem manifests itself.  Once I exit Chaseplane (even without exiting the sim), the problem stops."

then:

"Anyway I tested the GSX and AS menus and they appeared to be working ok (i..e no vanishing menus).   I then started Pro ATC and called up its menu and again...working ok."

then:

"So I started up Chaseplane and called up Pro ATC to get clearance and boom....problem started again."

See here ? No mention of GSX, which was working up to a moment before. How you could possibly say this is anything related to GSX ?

Well at the very least LM should’ve notified prospective users of 4.2 that if they didn’t update the content they’d run into a major glitch like this. Isn’t that obvious?

You seem to be willfully ingnoring the fact that many users including me are having this issue without ChasePlane installed. Let’s be clear here, this has got zero to do with that addon. Many users including me are having GSX problem even without ChasePlane and you still stubbornly assert it’s anything to do with Chaseplane whereas it is NOT. Enough proof has been provided so your argument is invalid.  

And on the ridiculous point you made that GSX is only a VICTIM of it, yeah it may be but it ultimately lies on you to sort this issue because both GSX and ProATC need to modify the code to adapt to the recent changes and fixes introduced by 4.2.

In a nutshell, there is no escaping that for you mate. You, and other simconnect hogging developers like ProATC must and will have to take FULL and UNCONDITIONAL support for this mess because again it lies on you to adapt your software to the improved simconnect brought about by 4.2. 

Very simple. Start fixing your flawed addon and good times will ensue. Don’t do that and a lot of angry customers including me will be all over you until your and other simconnect addons get your stuff to the latest standards. 

Sorry no escaping the this for you. Admit the shortcoming and apologise to simming community and we’ll see what happens next. Much trust already lost in how you handle incontrovertible defects in your code. 

Go find the glitch instead of wasting so many angry customers’ time here. Bye bye. 

4 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

After hours and checking this and checking that... It has GOT to be an issue with P3D. It has nothing to do with GSX. All GSX is doing is using the menu. At first i thought it was GSX but taking a closer look its not. Its very very annoying. I'm going to try and take this up with Lockheed again. 

Simple stuff mate: LM fixed a few simconnect glitches in 4.2 and it’s each and every developer’s responsibility to change the code to suit the new environment. 

3 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Simple stuff mate: LM fixed a few simconnect glitches in 4.2 and it’s each and every developer’s responsibility to change the code to suit the new environment. 

All i know is its driving me round the bend... I've asked Lockheed again and we will see what they say.. No doubt they will use the usual "try the debugging steps" ( I have )

3 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

All i know is its driving me round the bend... I've asked Lockheed again and we will see what they say.. No doubt they will use the usual "try the debugging steps" ( I have )

It’s actually very simple and I’m at loss for any simpler way to explain this. 

LM fixed a few of the simconnect issue by 4.2 and now developers have to modify their addons to make them work seemlessly with the upgraded simconnect. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with LM. They only quashed the bugs. 

And frankly, Umberto’s condescending attitude towards customers is slowly but surely turning into a full-scale PR disaster and a massive scandal. 

Umberto! Act with urgency, apologise profusely to all of those affected and promise you’ll fix the defects and shortcomings in your code and we may continue supporting you. Start regaining our long lost trust today.