Hi!

I'm considering getting a new rig, but have last minute concerns whether 4K monitor (looking at Samsung U28E590D, TN, 28", 3840x2160) will actually impact fps heavily, below acceptable levels. Planned config is I7-8700K (slightly overcklocked, maybe), MSI GTX 1080 Ti Aero 11G (slightly overcklocked too, maybe), 32GB (4x8Gb) DDR4 3466Mhz Corsair Vengeance, M2 SSD 1TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO, NZXT Kraken X62 cooling and some decent Z370 motherboard. Win 10. 

Prepar3d v4, expecting maxed out settings, activesky+cloud art, pmdg, orbx, photosceneries and usual heavy stuff. For both IFR and VFR flights.

What FPS will I be roughly looking at (minimum base) at dense locations such as EHAM/KSFO & IMC, etc? Is it worth getting full hd monitor instead?

Also, is VR [reasonable performance] an option with such specs?

Currently not considering SLI and second 1080ti.

Thank you

I have almost exactly the PC specs you have planned and use an LG 43" 4k monitor. The fps impact 4k vs Full HD was not that much, around 5-8 fps. 

fps locked at 30, VSync on, Monitor set to 30Hz.

I have P3Dv4, Activesky/ASCA, Envtex/Envshade, Orbx Global + Germany North/South. Black marble Base for night flying.  No Vector Addon, don`t need that for Airliner flying. UTLive set at 50%, at big airports 30%.

Not all sliders to the right, e.g. Autogen at medium. DL is on. 

With e.g. FSLabs A320, Aerosoft EDDF professional, fps remain at 30. Only at very dense areas around KLAX or EGLL ( with Aerosoft EGLL) I notice slight drops below 30.

So overall it is quite smooth.

No idea regarding VR. 

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

9 hours ago, NZWW said:

looking at Samsung U28E590D, TN, 28", 3840x2160

4k at this screen size is just a waste of system resources IMHO. You'll struggle to see any difference between 4k and QHD on a 28" screen (other than costing more money and a drop in performance for the 4k).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Agree with vortex, if your going 4k buy something bigger, 37" is the minimum, 40 or 42 is recommended!

As for the specs whats your doubt!? I7-8700K/1080 Ti is the best you can get nowadays for both 4k and VR, well you have slightly better but with prices that dont worth the difference!

PS: forget about SLI, not supported in VR and for flight simming a good way to have problems!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

11 hours ago, NZWW said:

I'm considering getting a new rig, but have last minute concerns whether 4K monitor (looking at Samsung U28E590D, TN, 28", 3840x2160) will actually impact fps heavily, below acceptable levels.

Thats the exact same monitor I have but running it with a 1070 SC.  Can usually maintain 30fps locked @30hz  depending on your settings of course. But mine are quite high just not max.  Also remember that running at 4k you dont need much AA at all. Im using 4xMSAA and will bump it down to 2x into big urban centers, but other than that it looks great.  But you have a 1080 so your in even better shape. 

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

4k at this screen size is just a waste of system resources IMHO. You'll struggle to see any difference between 4k and QHD on a 28" screen (other than costing more money and a drop in performance for the 4k).

No its not. you can run less AA using 4k. Not everyone can afford a big 40"4k  monitor or have the space and resources to do so. The setup works. I barely see much drop in performance at all . 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I agree that the monitor is too small.  I think I have the exact same system as you.  I am overclocked to 5ghz but don't see much difference from "factory" when I simply turned on the system for the first time but OC might make a difference.  With water cooling, it's really stable and I don't' think about it much.  I will say turning off Hyperthreading made a huge difference for me when it came to FPS and stutters.  I always do a test flight out of KAPA a small airport in Denver and it would crash down to 25 and stutter with HT on.  Turn it off and I stay at 35 in a punishing situation.  I will say this set up won't make your sim stutter free butter smooth.  You'll have annoyances here and there if you do a lot of add-ons.  I use ORBX Socal w/ KSAN and it has a few long frames around take off but overall looks amazing and smooth 95% of the time.  If I am flying the plane not being hypersensitive to FPS and stutters, I don't notice it.

Again, go bigger on the monitor.  4k on my 28" monitors is just hard to read unless I am a foot from the screen.  I actually did 1080p 3 screens when I used monitors instead of running in 4k.  Not as laser sharp of course but it felt easier to fly.