Sign in to follow this  
Atomic_Sheep

Fresh Install

Hi, I'm doing a fresh install of FSX after many years of not using it and need to refresh my memory about stuff I need to do to make it not crash.

I installed SP1 and SP2 and also put UIAutomationCore.dll into the installation location to prevent menu bar crashes but other things I should be doing elude me.

For example, I remember it crashing when you right click after about 10 minutes of being in the sim.

Also, I remember doing longer flights and then arriving at the destination only to find that not all the scenery has loaded.

I might be forgetting other things that are needed for a stable install. Please refresh my memory.

Thanks!

Welcome back. You're doing it right. Most everything you need to know is here:  

Doug

• Upvote 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hello, I've been forced to do a "Clean Install" of Windows 10, and that, of course, caused me to go back to the beginning and Install FSX Gold, again. I had exactly what I wanted working exactly as it should have, but now, I can't seem to get the Scenery Mesh right, even though I'm using the same programs which gave me good results previously. I've all but worn out the Disks uninstalling and starting over, but on the most recent re-install, noticed one of those flying notes that mentioned installing 32 bit FSX. That stayed in the back of my mind, and when things were complete, I checked that Program Files (86) does contain FSX, but I've also noticed there's an FSX installation in Program Files. Now I'm wondering if this is normal, since I never went looking for it before. I'm also wondering if this is the reason that all of my ministrations to the 64 bit program are for naught.

I've been using FSX for about 8 years, and have no complaints, but it seems Windows 10, and the incessant "updates" that cause me to have to rework software and configurations on a regular basis, are rendering the computer too frustrating for regular use!

Thanks for any insights!

AMD FX-8370 8-core CPU @ 4 GHz,16 GB RAM, 64 bit system, AMD Radeon R9 380 Series GPU w/ 3 Monitors

It doesn't really matter where FSX installs, it is only ever a 32bit program. Is it the default scenery mesh that's causing you problems? What, specifically, is the problem? Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest version since re-installing Windows 10?

Although it doesn't help you, I've never had any issues with FSX since upgrading to Windows 10 (clean install, fully updated).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I installed Win 10 when it was a free upgrade, and had no problems, also had installed a Mesh add-on which brought Indonesia Airports out of the Geological "Bowls" which were aggravating. Installed GEX Scenery on top of it and got a very pleasant result. After the late 2017 updates by Microsoft, all four computers in this house developed problems, and all from different sources. I hadn't re-installed the 777 software, from a couple of years ago, so I did that and FSX started having crash problems and I determined it would be easier to simply reinstall and start over without adding the 777 and DC-6 which seemed problematic.

After the clean install, I can't get any of the mesh programs to work, but GEX does apply scenery to the erroneous mesh from basic FSX. A lot of head scratching and then I recalled the 32 bit note I observed and found the two versions of FSX in 32 and 64 bit enclaves. I've never noticed that before and it seems logical that the Desktop Icon leads to the 64 bit version, so it should run that one, but I'm still wondering why there's a 32 bit version on the computer. FSX-SE is also properly located in the 64 bit bin, but I prefer working with the Boxed Version. It worked beautifully on Win 10 for the better part of 18 months, and this latest re-install was a problem from the start. Installed the Logitech drivers for the Yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant and flight panels and had problems, so reverted to the Saitech drivers to make the panels work, then ran into the Mesh installation not working. It's frustrating that it all worked seamlessly before, but when the Win 10 clean install was required, it's a problem with mesh. The Video is no problem, all drivers are up to date. I used this latest re-install to work simply on the Mesh, but to no avail.

15 hours ago, RobertL said:

I observed and found the two versions of FSX in 32 and 64 bit enclaves. I've never noticed that before and it seems logical that the Desktop Icon leads to the 64 bit version, so it should run that one, but I'm still wondering why there's a 32 bit version on the computer.

As I said in my previous post, it doesn't matter where FSX (boxed or Steam Edition) installs, it's only ever a 32bit program - there is no 64bit version.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit