Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

After my real world flight, I don't feel so bad about using my speed brakes for extended periods of time

4 hours ago, harrry said:

More than Flaps  10 with speedbrakes is prohibited to airflow interference with the tail.

In most cases more fuel will be saved if the descent is started immediatly cruise altitude is reached.  This however would cause huge problems with cutting across levels and 2 aircraft could make an even more sudden decent.

Is this modeled?

I did not know you weren't supposed to use spoilers when flaps are below 10 so I am sure I've done it - I've never noticed a change in anything other then slowing down.

In pre VNAV days you would probably only need to reach for the speedbrake if you had judged the descent badly. Hence the lever of shame reputation.

Simmers are avid readers of pilot forums which are full of pilot banter like this. It then becomes a “rule” to follow.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

From "Sully: My search for what really matters":

"It was an incredibly clear and gorgeous night, the air was smooth, and I could see the airport from sixty miles out.  I started my descent at just the right distance so that the engines would be near idle thrust almost all the way in, until just prior to landing. If I started down at the right place, I could avoid having to use the speed brakes, which cause a rumbling in the cabin when extended. To get it right, I'd need to perfectly manage the energy of the jet". 

That's what I enjoy - when I can almost perfectly manage it. Was close to it coming into Vienna on VATSIM two nights ago.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

On 2/14/2018 at 2:52 PM, 787WannabePilot said:

Flew down to Florida  few days ago. Flying the 737 I have been taking note of how the pilot(s) fly on take off and landing.

I guess the winds flying into Fort Myers on Monday were pretty strong, as the pilot had the speed brakes extended on descent for a good 4 minutes +,  and even with flaps 5 (or 10?) on approach still having them extended out. First time we used RWY 10 in all the years I have been coming down here. 

In the sim, I find some flights I have been extended the speed brakes for quite some time as well. Kind of neat to see it done on a real flight.

Just curious, where is RWY 10 at Fort Myers?

Dave Paige

Guys, it's not that difficult.  If you need the speed brakes, use them.  If you don't need them, don't use them.  Just fly the airplane.

• Upvote 1

There's a video on youtube of the SWISS CS100 flight to London City.  The speedbrake is used all the way down to touchdown to maintain the steep descent profile.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Different aircraft have different rules for flaps.  Here we are talking about the Boeing 737.

Harry Woodrow