Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[15FEB18] Updated Information for users experiencing trouble with Prepar3d V4.2

Captains,

As I posted late last night, it appears that some changes were made to the final release version of the update to Prepar3D v4.2 that were not part of the versions giving to the testing community at large, and these changes have had an unusual impact on the PMDG 747-400 in particular.

By way of making sure we are all talking about the same thing:  Users of our PMDG 747-400 have been reporting that after updating to P3D v4.2, it was not possible to use the 747-400 unless first entering the sim using one of the default aircraft.

We have determined what causes this and we are in the process of testing a prototype fix to eliminate the issue for P3D v4.2 users.  I don't want to go into too much detail at this point, but it does appear to be something Lockheed Martin decided to change that is not documented in the SDK.  We will take it up with them, as the change will have a long term effect on users of products like FS2Crew, and as such it probably needs to be addressed by Lockheed Martin long term.

In the mean time, give us a bit of time to validate these tests and once we are comfortable that we aren't breaking anything else in order to fix this- we will push the update to you via our auto-updater.  I will also post an announcement about it here as well.

ADDITIONAL VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

A few folks in the another thread mentioned that they were seeing problems in other PMDG products.  We have not seen any verifiable reports that could be duplicated for problems in other products but you are welcome to report them to our support team if needed. 

I would also like to remind everyone that we have many tens of thousands of customer data points that we work with community-wide, so it is VERY easy for us to spot actual problems and separate them from problems that single users see that are not necessarily indicative of a problem with our products.  So please: during the complex process of upgrading a sim platform, please keep in mind that many other things you have installed (FSIUPC makes a great example in this case) might need an update from a developer and cause wide ranging problems that are hard to pin down.  Please take the time to remove things and reinstall them in an organized fashion and you will likely find the hassles can be minimized for everyone involved- and you will help to provide the community as a whole more valid data than simple jumping up and down on whatever product you happened to be trying to use when the sim acted wonky.  :ph34r:

As is always the case- if/when we find a problem in compatibility between the constantly evolving P3D v4 and our products that can be verified and traced- we will fix it. 

I hope we will push this hot-fix to you all during the day Thursday.  Stay tuned!

• Upvote 20

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I continue to be amazed at the detective work that goes on that tracks down these issues. Amazing.

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

yay!

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Thanks for the quick response to this issue Robert.

Just one thing of note: I updated only the client and content to 4.2 , and don't have issues with this crashing in the 747-400. Will the updated patch cause any unwanted effects if I use it with my present configuration? 

Thanks in advance.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Jude Bradley said:

Just one thing of note: I updated only the client and content to 4.2 , and don't have issues with this crashing in the 747-400. Will the updated patch cause any unwanted effects if I use it with my present configuration? 

Thanks in advance.

Unlikely. But you always should be on the latest version available for products that are supported that well. It makes bug tracking possible at all and if there will be any problems PMDG will fix them too. If you miss this hot fix the next update will include it and then you will have the problem anyway and it will be much more difficult to trace it down... 

11 hours ago, DavidP said:

I continue to be amazed at the detective work that goes on that tracks down these issues. Amazing.

Yeah i can telly ya. Debugging sucks big time.

Best part is when you have a solution open in one IDE project and after saving and reopening you get 5 compiler warnings. 

Or when your favourite classmate uses a namespace which floats the whole project with garbage.

Lovley

• Upvote 1

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

Thank you Mr. Randazzo. We all appreciate everything that you and your staff do to make this product the best. It says a lot about PMDG!!

• Upvote 1

Pablo Vazquez - Flight Attendant - Major US Airline

(P3D v4.3, PMDG 744v3, PMDG 748, PMDG 777, PMDG 737 NGX, QualityWings 787, Captain Sim 757, Aerosoft Airbus Professional and FSLabs A320x)

1hxz6d.jpg

Can see this update in the operations centre now. But doesn't seem to install. Will wait and try again tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

Can see this update in the operations centre now. But doesn't seem to install. Will wait and try again tomorrow. 

Just a moment...just wait for the announcement thread, please.

Kyle Rodgers

The update is visible in my Ops Center, but does not install.  The windows appear, text runs, but version is not updated.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

1 minute ago, drdickie said:

The update is visible in my Ops Center, but does not install.  The windows appear, text runs, but version is not updated.

See the post literally above yours, please.

Kyle Rodgers

I always thought that when items appeared in Ops Center, they were ready to go.  Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

22 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Just a moment...just wait for the announcement thread, please.

Thank you, I will work on my patience ;) 

1 hour ago, drdickie said:

I always thought that when items appeared in Ops Center, they were ready to go.  Thanks.

Usually yes. We were having some issues that we realized after the versions file went out. You're good to go now (sans forum update).

1 hour ago, Mejjo said:

Thank you, I will work on my patience ;) 

No worries. It's usually okay as soon as the OC prompts. That's the way in the future. It's still relatively new as a function. Should be good to go now.

Kyle Rodgers