Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Andersen

VR in Aerofly is absolutely amazing! Especially with ORBX

I have no time for writing long essays, but I just wanted to share my experience with trying VR for the first time in a flight simulator. I just bought Oculus Rift with touch controls.

Let me cut to the chase and say that I was truly amazed with the experience! VR in a flight sim is as real as it currently gets! The sense of beeing in and actual airplane is incredible. The perception of depth, size and speed takes on a completely new meaning compared to the monitor world. Thats the case when taxing around in a Cessna 172 (which I btw also fly in real life), and its even more the case when I load up the 747. Wow! Over the past few days I had some incredible flying experiences in VR. Approaching Innsbruck airport in a 747. Doing sightseeing in Eagle Country with a Cessna 172. FLying acrobatics in an Extra, the the point of getting dizzy..haha. Flying a low pass with a FA Hornet fighet yet. Coming in for landing and flaring in VR is such an amazing experience.

My VR simulator of choice is currently Aerofly with all the ORBX addons currently available. ORBX scenery looks incredible in VR. I notice so much more details than before. With Aerofly I get fluid performance even with high to ultra settings. My system is a 4790K with GTX 1070. I also tried XP11 but Aerofly so far provided the most pleasing visual experience. All the planes in Aerofly look amazing in VR. Sure, they dont offer the same complexity and systems fidelity as certain P3D addons, but VR in Aerofly for me is anyways more about experiencing basic VFR flight in nice landscape.

Like many I wished that the resolution could be slightly higher, but its still an incredible experience.

I have yet to try P3DV4 but cleary the performance there will be way lower compared to Aerofly.

Now I just hope that ORBX (and hopefully other developers) will release much more of their content to Aerofly. Bring it on! My wallet is eagerly waiting!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Thomas Andersen said:

Now I just hope that ORBX (and hopefully other developers) will release much more of their content to Aerofly. Bring it on! My wallet is eagerly waiting!

Later this year Orbx will release FTX Netherlands: it will be the first region from Orbx that has photoreal all over the place and in which ALL buildings will be in the correct spot. Unfortunately it will be released for FSX/P3D first but well, it's nice to know it's coming! It should be at least as good as LOWI and probably a bit better (when it comes to the scenery further out of the airport itself).

And yes, P3D can't match AFS2 in performance. Nice to read your enthusiasm about VR. I am one of those who gave up on it because of the low resolution... Loved it at first though. But in 2D AFS2 luckily still shines in some departments (quick to load, quick to setup, the best performance, the light) and in 2D the detail (at least where there is any detail) looks a lot better imho: in VR a lot gets lost. But either way it is a nice sim indeed.