Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

SkyForce and Active Sky

I saw a post in here that gave the steps on getting those two working together.  I am thinking of buying SkyForce and use active sky so I was wondering how easy that would be to get working together in terms of install and setup along with PTA.  Also, my plan is to get 4.2 once FSL releases it so would it be better do wait to get SkyForce once I install 4.2 or should it not matter?  When I went from 4.0 to 4.1 I don't believe I had to do any reinstalling of Active Sky so I wanted to see what people have seen so far.

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

J did one here

I did one just for ASCA+Envtex for skies only

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

47 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I saw a post in here that gave the steps on getting those two working together.  I am thinking of buying SkyForce and use active sky so I was wondering how easy that would be to get working together in terms of install and setup along with PTA.  Also, my plan is to get 4.2 once FSL releases it so would it be better do wait to get SkyForce once I install 4.2 or should it not matter?  When I went from 4.0 to 4.1 I don't believe I had to do any reinstalling of Active Sky so I wanted to see what people have seen so far.

I found that the guides on installing these two programs made it seem harder than it is, and this made me delay purchase!

I’m actually just using sky force at the moment, not using active sky. So that’s the simplest solution. One program. Excellent clouds, best I’ve seen.

But if you want to use the active sky engine, it’s as simple as clicking one button in the sky force menu to turn off its weather engine, and then run both Skyforce and Active Sky Prepar3d4 at the same time.

you would do this if:

- you want historical weather (though that is coming to sky force)

- you want to use an in-plane weather radar that relies on Active Sky.

- you value the more seemless active sky weather injection.

thats what I did initially, but I’ve found that I’m willing to give up my Pmdg weather radar for the sake of simplicity, and because I really like the way that Skyforce portrays the weather. Towering clouds, far more interesting than those I’ve experienced in the past.

if you’re avoiding the program because of the previous thread on this forum, don’t. There was a lot of negativity towards this program, but that was mainly from people who hadn’t actually used it. The thread did Skyforce a great disservice. It’s a seriously good weather program, despite the current limitations outlined above.

finally, you mentioned using PTA as a shader program. Skyforce will run that automatically for you, if you want.

Skyforce - I thought I might regret this purchase, but it’s currently my favourite add-on in a long time. 

• Upvote 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I found that the guides on installing these two programs made it seem harder than it is, and this made me delay purchase!

I’m actually just using sky force at the moment, not using active sky. So that’s the simplest solution. One program. Excellent clouds, best I’ve seen.

But if you want to use the active sky engine, it’s as simple as clicking one button in the sky force menu to turn off its weather engine, and then run both Skyforce and Active Sky Prepar3d4 at the same time.

you would do this if:

- you want historical weather (though that is coming to sky force)

- you want to use an in-plane weather radar that relies on Active Sky.

- you value the more seemless active sky weather injection.

thats what I did initially, but I’ve found that I’m willing to give up my Pmdg weather radar for the sake of simplicity, and because I really like the way that Skyforce portrays the weather. Towering clouds, far more interesting than those I’ve experienced in the past.

if you’re avoiding the program because of the previous thread on this forum, don’t. There was a lot of negativity towards this program, but that was mainly from people who hadn’t actually used it. The thread did Skyforce a great disservice. It’s a seriously good weather program, despite the current limitations outlined above.

finally, you mentioned using PTA as a shader program. Skyforce will run that automatically for you, if you want.

Skyforce - I thought I might regret this purchase, but it’s currently my favourite add-on in a long time. 

Thanks... Would I want to wait until I get 4.2 in order to avoid 2 installations?  Or if I get it now, install it, and then install 4.2 whenever I get it, it will automatically port over?

So what you are saying, all I would need to do is turn off the SF weather engine, run AS and it should give me AS weather with SF clouds, right?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Just now, Zimmerbz said:

Thanks... Would I want to wait until I get 4.2 in order to avoid 2 installations?  Or if I get it now, install it, and then install 4.2 whenever I get it, it will automatically port over?

So what you are saying, all I would need to do is turn off the SF weather engine, run AS and it should give me AS weather with SF clouds, right?

No, it’s currently compatible with 4.1 and 4.2, so just install it now. I think it will continue to work fine when you upgrade to 4.2 (I’m still on 4.1 myself, but worst case you spend a couple of minutes on a reinstall).

as to your second question, absolutely. Just run active sky prepar3d 4 (ASP4) and Skyforce at the same time, after going into skyforce’s menu and clicking a button to turn off that program’s weather engine.

Leave both programs running while you’re flying (this has been controversial around here, though there’s no reason why it needs to be. Manufacturer’s instructions and quite clear - you want Skyforce open so it can inject new cloud structures) 

As I noted, the ASP4 plus Skyfirve combo what I did initially. Almost went back to the ASP4 engine tonight, as I considered using historical weather. There’s no reason why you can’t alternate between the two options, it just takes ten seconds to toggle the Skyforce engine switch on if off!

You’ll also set your PTA directory in the sky force menu, then it will sort out the appropriate shaders automatically.

——————————

I no longer use Active Sky Cloud Art, Envdir or Envtec. I have runway/airport marking textures installed from Rex texture Direct, but there’s no need to run that routinely. Skyforce will provide you with cloud textures and sky colours, in addition to the new, complex cloud models, which is what your buying the program for. 

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

No, it’s currently compatible with 4.1 and 4.2, so just install it now. I think it will continue to work fine when you upgrade to 4.2 (I’m still on 4.1 myself, but worst case you spend a couple of minutes on a reinstall).

as to your second question, absolutely. Just run active sky prepar3d 4 (ASP4) and Skyforce at the same time, after going into skyforce’s menu and clicking a button to turn off that program’s weather engine.

Leave both programs running while you’re flying (this has been controversial around here, though there’s no reason why it needs to be. Manufacturer’s instructions and quite clear - you want Skyforce open so it can inject new cloud structures) 

As I noted, the ASP4 plus Skyfirve combo what I did initially. Almost went back to the ASP4 engine tonight, as I considered using historical weather. There’s no reason why you can’t alternate between the two options, it just takes ten seconds to toggle the Skyforce engine switch on if off!

You’ll also set your PTA directory in the sky force menu, then it will sort out the appropriate shaders automatically.

——————————

I no longer use Active Sky Cloud Art, Envdir or Envtec. I have runway/airport marking textures installed from Rex texture Direct, but there’s no need to run that routinely. Skyforce will provide you with cloud textures and sky colours, in addition to the new, complex cloud models, which is what your buying the program for. 

Will Skyforce overwrite ENVTEX or Cloud Art if I am using them or should I uninstall them first?  I suppose with the weather engine theory, I'd be able to uncheck what I don't want from SF, and run anything else.  I just don't know why I would do that since I think ENVTEX and SF do a lot of the same. 

Whichever is installed last will take precedence UNLESS you are using ASP4/ASCA for dynamic clouds - then that combo will overwrite as necessary.

From a visual standpoint, clouds and weather are purely subjective. There are almost endless combinations you can put together and, depending on your weather needs, just stay with what YOU like.

With ASCA, if you do NOT want the clouds, just uncheck them in settings.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

19 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Will Skyforce overwrite ENVTEX or Cloud Art if I am using them or should I uninstall them first?  I suppose with the weather engine theory, I'd be able to uncheck what I don't want from SF, and run anything else.  I just don't know why I would do that since I think ENVTEX and SF do a lot of the same. 

Its shame when J did a guild and people don't read it even when its linked to help.

9 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Whichever is installed last will take precedence UNLESS you are using ASP4/ASCA for dynamic clouds - then that combo will overwrite as necessary.

From a visual standpoint, clouds and weather are purely subjective. There are almost endless combinations you can put together and, depending on your weather needs, just stay with what YOU like.

With ASCA, if you do NOT want the clouds, just uncheck them in settings.

Vic

Adding to what Vic Said. Also you un-tick what not to install in SF. All in the guilds

If people feel its not good or clear, please make one if you feel you can make one better and clearer for people to understand to help others that might feel the same way as you.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Its shame when J did a guild and people don't read it even when its linked to help.

Adding to what Vic Said. Also you un-tick what not to install in SF. All in the guilds

If people feel its not good or clear, please make one if you feel you can make one better and clearer for people to understand to help others that might feel the same way as you.

Hi Nyxx, the various guides floating around are no doubt useful In some settings. But I think there’s a fair few people - like OP and myself - who are ultimately wondering if this is “all too hard”, and therefore avoiding purchase, based on complex descriptions of possible program combinations.

There’s also lots of misinformation floating around, eg the suggestion that Skyforce doesn’t need to be running (it does).

so I’ve written my guide, it’s in the posts above, and it is really, really simple: 

- turn off the weather engine in the Skyforce menu.

- remember to Provide your PTA directory during the setup process, so that Skyforce can automatically sort out your shaders.

- Run Skyforce and Active Sky Prepar3D V4 (ASP4) in the background whilst you’re simming.

or just use option 2:

- run skyforce and forget about everything else :)

Everything else is non-essential. People can play around with various combinations of other payware programs down the track if they desire. But as a starting point, I think that keeping it simple is good.

• Upvote 1

Oz

4 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Will Skyforce overwrite ENVTEX or Cloud Art if I am using them or should I uninstall them first?

Yes, Skyforce will overwrite the appropriate parts (cloud textures, cloud models, sky colours).

You do not need cloud art at all any more, just don’t run it (if it’s set to automatically run with ASP4, turn off that setting). You could uninstall if you want to, I keep mine as I might theoretically run it in the future, just for variety (in reality, I likely never use it again)  

No need to run Envtex either, except on the odd occasion when you feel like changing something that is unrelated to weather (such as runway textures). I use Rex Texture Direct for this purpose, by the way. At any rate, these are things you’ll likely do very occasionally, if you want to change non-weather textures for aesthetic reasons. I haven’t run Envtex at all since I got Skyforce.

• Upvote 1

Oz

Hey guys,

I want to confirm, SkyForce keeps injecting cloud models throughout your flight even when not using the weather engine? I was under the impression that it injected cloud models once when I selected a random theme at start up and after that active sky just pulled from what was installed. Not that I would know any better. Is that incorrect and Skyforce continually injects clouds throughout?

additionaly, has anyone run into an issue where the GPU hits 100% constantly and overloads the sim during overcast conditions when running AS w/ skyforce? I have a 1080ti and it will go a bit crazy in certain overcast situations. When using the AS engine and no Skyforce textures it’s normal usage and also fine when using Skyforce engine and textures by itself. So it’s definitely something with the combo. It runs great together except for these few overcast situations. 

Thanks,

Brian

I have Skyforce, and yes the clouds are pretty; but the weather engine.... it just doesn't work for me. At all. Clear skies everywhere, all the time, especially lately at YSSY when it was raining all Sunday - SkyForce said, no - clear skies.

The few times it has actually loaded weather, SkyForce has crashed about 20mins later.

8 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

I was under the impression that it injected cloud models once when I selected a random theme at start up and after that active sky just pulled from what was installed.

From the way my system behaves, yes that's what will happen if you do not run SF at all when the sim is running. The cloud textures and structures that SF last loaded into the sim will be used by the sim/weather engine to build the clouds. If you run SF at the same time as the sim, SF will inject further cloud textures and structures that are a sub-set of the main cloud set you last chose and loaded. These sub-sets must be pretty subtle. I really cannot see much difference, SF running or SF not running.

gb

Edited.

Edited by gboz

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.