Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

What's the upside to going to 4.2 from 4.1?

Is there a major upside to making this latest incremental jump? I know there are the usual hiccups that go with these upgrades.

NAX669.png

That will go from 0 - 100 depending on who you ask.  Look at the release notes - if you see something there that is important to YOU - there will be an upside - if not .............

Vic

• Upvote 6

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don’t see anybody giving dramatic reasons to rush your upgrade.

I think the DL was the most promising but that seems to be minor and possibly not that noticeable. Then again that’s anecdotal to what I have read and seen on YouTube.

Eventually I think it’s wise to be on the newest version but if you are comfortable where you are and have some upgrade anxiety I would wait until you’re mentally ready to manage the upgrade hiccups.  

4.2 isn’t going to give you smooth, no blurries never a stutter with max auto gen at EGLL or LAX which seems to be the holy grail/unicorn everyone wants.

So upgrade when you feel the time is right. You probably aren’t missing much if anything today using 4.1 but someday it will be advisable. 

• Upvote 3

The way it looks now, I will stick with 4.1 until 4.3 comes out. I don't see any reason to upgrade to 4.2. Nothing really new in 4.2, just a whole bunch of bug fixes that mostly don't affect me anyways. Let's see about 4.3.

• Upvote 3

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

Same here, but my understanding that 4.2 is the platform for future add-ons and compatibility ...So just saying I will skip this update maybe is not solution. I still haven't upgraded but planing in next few days or maybe a week until everyone gets on board.

I guess one never should expect 100% fluidity from any SIM or any upgrade since we are talking hundreds of different suppliers working on many different "platforms" so compatibility is the issue. And of course, some un-reasonable  expectations.....

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

32 minutes ago, JanReidar said:

The way it looks now, I will stick with 4.1 until 4.3 comes out. I don't see any reason to upgrade to 4.2. Nothing really new in 4.2, just a whole bunch of bug fixes that mostly don't affect me anyways. Let's see about 4.3.

Same here...actually, I am still at 4.0 and see no need to go through the exercise of updating P3D along with the addons for compatibility.Too much of a hassle for the few improvements that affect how I use the sim.

• Upvote 1

So far it is giving me only a downside: the SimConnect window, as used by AS, GSX, ProATC, doesn’t work well anymore. 

The only reason for me to upgrade would be the AI Helos, but there's been minimal mention of that.

I miss my FSX-based Heli Traffic 2009 or whatever it was called, so would like to see some rotor based activity.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing from 2006, with another coat of paint applied, IMO.

Ok, so here is my 2 cents. I upgraded to 4.2 and got a dramatic increase in VR performance as well as regular performance. I am running a GTX1080 on 2 screens, the ability to switch from VR to non VR flying is a game changer for me for long flights as well as single pass (VR option) I only installed the Client though, I did not upgrade anything else.  

• Upvote 2

Be aware that the new Aerosoft airbus will require 4.2. And other addons might follow.

Instead of having a beer tonight, I will update today.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

... update of client and content took just a few minutes. Everything seems to work so far... Nice... I still use FSUIPC 5.121 which also works with 4.2 until it has been updated by Pete.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

19 hours ago, vgbaron said:

That will go from 0 - 100 depending on who you ask.  Look at the release notes - if you see something there that is important to YOU - there will be an upside - if not .............

Vic

Vic said it all.

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

From the release notes: Fixed issue that could cause incorrect or corrupt textures to load when having several scenery add-ons installed through the Add-on Package setup.
In my case I have about 37 add-on.xml's activated. See images.

Spoiler

A2A Pa-24-250 Comanche as an Orbx Delorean in P3D 4.1
http://B9WJ3kM.jpg?1

P3D 4.2

http://9pvi7Yh.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cargostorm said:

Instead of having a beer tonight, I will update today.

Good god man don't do anything that drastic. No need for such sacrifice. Have a beer whilst you are upgrading!

Cheers

Steve Hall