Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[16FEB18] Update for Prepar3D v4.2 users via the Operations Center

Captains,

We have just issued an update for Prepar3D v4 users that will alleviate the onset of a ctd/hung screen/black screens problem in the PMDG 747-400 induced by a change Lockheed Martin made during the release phase of Prepar3D v4.2.

If you are a Prepar3D v4 user who has the 747-400 installed, you can obtain the update directly via the PMDG Operations Center.  A red notification bar will appear on the top right of the Operations Center when it is run, and you can probably follow the instructions from there. 

NOTE: This update does not apply to any aircraft other than the PMDG 747-400, and can be installed to any version of Prepar3D, but will only make a noticeable change in behavior for users of P3D v4.2 because it installs a small fix necessary to keep the 747-400 compatible with this new version of Prepar3D.  This "fix" is not necessary for any PMDG product OTHER than the 747-400.

A couple of notes on some items that will inevitably confuse a few people- so please help me un-confuse the confused:

1) This update makes changes to Prepar3D v4.2 in order to eliminate a CTD issue.  However, for our own sanity, we updated identical files on the Prepar3D v3 side in order to maintain product commonality because that will be important in a few <time descriptor deleted by moderator> when we release the PMDG 747-8.  Don't let this confuse you if you are a Prepar3D v3 user and you see an update flag.  You can install it... or not...  it is mostly just some file swaps to help us on our end and you aren't getting anything "new" per se.

2) If you are a heavy user of any product that needs to install or modify any panel entries into the panel.cfg file for the 747-400, we STRONGLY encourage you carefully consider whether you need this product installed or not.  If you DO decide to go ahead with the installation and you see problems, then you will need to uninstall it and return the 747-400 to it's original state to get back to normal operations- and in that case we recommend that you forgo whatever product is inducing the CTD (most likely FS2Crew :blink:) when using Prepar3D v4 until further notice.  (Likely the release of Prepar3d V4.3 or possibly later if we cannot get Lockheed Martin's attention on the issue they created.)  Our apologies to anyone this impacts, but there isn't much to be done by us- as the problem is latent to the Prepar3D v4.2 update...

We will do our best to get LM's attention to the issue- but they have many many developers shouting at them all the time, and often quiet efforts to get their attention fail to get noticed...  We will do our best, however.  :cool:

• Upvote 12

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hello, what is the expected version number?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

19 minutes ago, ahuimanu said:

Hello, what is the expected version number?

The one listed in the OC.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

back in business!  thanks.

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Who is this mysterious moderator editing the posts of mr. Randazzo. I want names :laugh:

anyways, thanks for this update!

• Upvote 2

"NOTAM: This is a P3D v4.2 fix ONLY."

For those who remain at 4.1 and do not install this update, what does that mean for future updates and purchasing the -8?

3 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Scott,

Nothing.  It means absolutely nothing.

Don't over-think it...  

Ok, thanks, toooo easy!

Hi Robert, thanks for the update. I'm not a code expert by any means, but could you please give an idea, in laymans terms, what is/was the issue? Just to satisfy my OCD side! Thanks.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

It was mention programs that modify the panel.cfg should be avoided. Does ChasePlane or Ezdok fall under the this category?

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro