On 16/02/2018 at 11:22 PM, martin-w said:

No... the i7 8700K!

And Z370 motherboard.

3200 MHz or 3400 MHz RAM

I’m glad you doubled checked that haha

so I’m ready to order 

this is the final decision with the changes everyone’s inputed

Overclocked CPU

Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)

Motherboard

ASUS® ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card

11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!

1st M.2 SSD Drive

1TB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3000MB/R, 1700MB/W)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive

500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3200MB/R, 1900MB/W)

Power Supply

CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling

Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans

Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

if if any more changes please let me know.... but thank you for everyone who commented and helped 

Paul Wain

37 minutes ago, paulwain said:

Processor Cooling

Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans

go with a bigger rad 240 or 280

21 minutes ago, westman said:

go with a bigger rad 240 or 280

Sorry I changed that too the LIQUID Corsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans

isnt that not powerful enough? Going by the price it’s one of the expensive ones £115 I thought it would be good.

Paul Wain

18 minutes ago, paulwain said:

Sorry I changed that too the LIQUID Corsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans

isnt that not powerful enough? Going by the price it’s one of the expensive ones £115 I thought it would be good.

Yes, that is marginally better than the H80i V2 (120 rad) simply due to the radiator being twice the size (240 rad).  Cost only seems to be about USD 20 more.  By including two additional 120mm fans to the H100i V2 in a push/pull arrangement, you would improve cooling even more, provided you have the room in your case.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thank you for the info Doug. 

Im gonna go ahead and book it now. Can’t wait for the build to come 

Paul Wain

Just now, paulwain said:

Thank you for the info Doug. 

Im gonna go ahead and book it now. Can’t wait for the build to come 

I'm excited to follow along, Paul, since I'm assembling components for a new build as well.  I am very excited as I look forward to improved P3Dv4 performance with clouds and dynamic lights.

Quick question:  Do you already have the GTX-1080 Ti or are you purchasing one?  There is a strong possibility that Nvidia will be releasing their next series of gaming cards (maybe 2080 or 1180 series) in March/April, and they are expected to be 10-30% better in performance (rumors).  I'm gonna press forward with my new build, but hang on to my existing GTX-980 for now to see how the new cards settle out, especially considering the escalated costs of current high-end cards due to cryptomining.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

5 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

I'm excited to follow along, Paul, since I'm assembling components for a new build as well.  I am very excited as I look forward to improved P3Dv4 performance with clouds and dynamic lights.

Quick question:  Do you already have the GTX-1080 Ti or are you purchasing one?  There is a strong possibility that Nvidia will be releasing their next series of gaming cards (maybe 2080 or 1180 series) in March/April, and they are expected to be 10-30% better in performance (rumors).  I'm gonna press forward with my new build, but hang on to my existing GTX-980 for now to see how the new cards settle out, especially considering the escalated costs of current high-end cards due to cryptomining.

Oooo really? That’s interesting. It will be good see what comes out. I haven’t got the GTX1080 that was the original plan but got told to go with the 8700K as P3D Doent use that many cores so be pointless to spend that money when I won’t see any difference. 

Paul Wain

2 hours ago, paulwain said:

I haven’t got the GTX1080 that was the original plan but got told to go with the 8700K as P3D Doent use that many cores so be pointless to spend that money when I won’t see any difference. 

I think you're confusing your CPU (8700K) with your graphics card (GTX1080Ti).  High-end graphics card prices are significantly escalated due to rabid demand from crytominers, who use these GPUs as the computational engine for their mining operations.  Current prices for high-end graphics cards (like the GTX-1080TI) are essentially twice what they were before the cryotomining frenzy.  That's why I asked you about your GTX1080Ti since I wasn't sure you were aware that prices are extremely high right now.  Hence, my decision to hold off on purchasing a new graphics card right now in the hopes that demand (and ultimately the price) comes down. And additionally, the new cards being released soon may be reasonably priced right when they hit the market and I can get one before demand drives limited supply, and the prices shoot up again.  Timing is everything.

Doug Miannay

3 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Yes, that is marginally better than the H80i V2 (120 rad) simply due to the radiator being twice the size (240 rad).  Cost only seems to be about USD 20 more.  By including two additional 120mm fans to the H100i V2 in a push/pull arrangement, you would improve cooling even more, provided you have the room in your case.

I wouldn't recommend push/pull. With four fans instead of two, you will be lucky to see 4 - 5 degrees difference. The velocity of the air through the rad is unchanged. What you do get is a "slight" increase in static pressure. In my opinion, not worth it for the increase in noise and cost. 

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

I wouldn't recommend push/pull. With four fans instead of two, you will be lucky to see 4 - 5 degrees difference. The velocity of the air through the rad is unchanged. What you do get is a "slight" increase in static pressure. In my opinion, not worth it for the increase in noise and cost. 

A fair retort, Martin.  Many sacrifice some noise and cost to get that last couple of degrees improvement when they are cruising close to the temperature (throttling) wall.  Not at all a recommended approach, just another choice for those so inclined.

Doug Miannay

Thing to watch out for when comparing two AIO's, is fan RPM and thus noise. Not uncommon for AIO manufactures to cheat and slap a high RPM noisy fan on the rad. What i can say is that I installed a H100i V2 in my daughters PC, and it's actually pretty good. Cools well and reasonably quiet. Double the rad surface area is the key. The H80i may have a thicker rad, but rad thickness is less effective than you  might think. 

6 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

A fair retort, Martin.  Many sacrifice some noise and cost to get that last couple of degrees improvement when they are cruising close to the temperature (throttling) wall.  Not at all a recommended approach, just another choice for those so inclined.

They do indeed, especially competitive overclockers.

I feel it's usually because people are unaware how little drop in temp they will see though. Same applies to tower air coolers. It's tempting to believe that double the fans will make a significant difference. The laws of thermodynamics think differently though. :biggrin: