Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

Little NavMap > GTN750 AIRAC 1611

To extend this useful discussion can someone say, after downloading AIRAC 1611 from fsAerodata, can one sync not only LittleNavMap, but other addons such as Aerosoft Airbus A318/319, Qualitywings...etc? I am talking about FSXA. This would solve all my flight planning problems.

Thank you.

Steve P.

Dell Precision T3610, Windows 7 x64 + Windows XP x32 (dual boot)
Intel Xeon Processor ES-1620 v2, 4 core, 3.70 GHz
8GD DDR3-1600 
Nvidia GTX 960,  Dell U3011 (3560 x 1600 px) + Asus Pa245Q (1929 x 1200px)
FSX Acceleration

Hi Dane,

I'm a bit late to this party. Last post here was March. But I'd be really happy to hear your experiences with getting external flight planners (like Little Navmap, et al) to generate flight plans that the GTN750 will understand.

My own experience is that the GTN seems to have a 'limited' version of the 1611 AIRAC. I say 'limited' because the GTN often does not understand some V and J airways properly, or not at all.

• The GTN sometimes/often has waypoints in the airway that don't match the waypoints along the airway as generated by one of those external planners
  • The GTN sometimes/often does not even know about some airways generated by one of those external planners

And of course, I was sure to load 1611 AIRAC to the external planning tools before getting them to generate a flight plan.

So, wondering what experience you've had? Did your GTN still behave oddly with some externally generated flight plans?

Best, Dave

On 9/7/2018 at 6:34 PM, DominoX said:

Hi Dane,

I'm a bit late to this party. Last post here was March. But I'd be really happy to hear your experiences with getting external flight planners (like Little Navmap, et al) to generate flight plans that the GTN750 will understand.

My own experience is that the GTN seems to have a 'limited' version of the 1611 AIRAC. I say 'limited' because the GTN often does not understand some V and J airways properly, or not at all.

• The GTN sometimes/often has waypoints in the airway that don't match the waypoints along the airway as generated by one of those external planners
  • The GTN sometimes/often does not even know about some airways generated by one of those external planners

And of course, I was sure to load 1611 AIRAC to the external planning tools before getting them to generate a flight plan.

So, wondering what experience you've had? Did your GTN still behave oddly with some externally generated flight plans?

Best, Dave

Hi Dave,

Well first let me say that Alex is really the guy that can give you all the expertise with this, but let me give you my little bit of knowledge.

The GTN750 is the problem and not Little NavMap (LNM) as there is no way to update the GTN AIRAC as it is stuck at 1611.

Therefore some waypoints from from LNM will cause GTN to be unhappy. It is a real nuisance but what I do is get the coordinates from LNM and then create new User Waypoints in GTN with whatever name you wish and then save those waypoints to your GTN User Waypoints Catalog.

Alex - maybe you could expand a bit more on this for Dave.  It sure would be great if there was somehow a way to auto save the LNM waypoints to the GTN waypoints catalog (for the ones that GTN does not like)

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

What I do is output with each plan the entire set of waypoints of that plan as user waypoints, replacing the data each flight with the new set. (so a backup is required of any custom input waypoints before use). All the plans then load without fail (if the version of the GPS supports importing those waypoints from file).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

As Dane correctly stated: The GTN or more its old data is the problem. It is not limited but just outdated.

1611 to 1808 is a long time. Waypoints are added, removed and renamed. Airways between waypoints change, for example to one-way airways or are removed completely.

A flight plan which was created in LNM or any other flight planning tool using the latest AIRAC database will contain waypoints and airways which might not exist in the old database used by the GTN.

The GTN now looks up waypoints from your saved flight plan by name. The result is a locked waypoint if it cannot find them in the database.

I'll have a look at the problem and try to add a function which exports waypoints to the user database. the limitations are: I have to export all waypoints of the flight plan into the user database since I cannot find out which are missing or have changed in the GTN. Also, airways have to be omitted since there are no airways between user defined waypoints. No idea what the GTN does when a user defined is a duplicate of one in the database.

Alex

Hi Dale and Alex,

Sorry, I might not have been clear in my earlier post. Let's try again:

• I DO INDEED have my flight planners set to AIRAC 1611
  • I would expect that GTN750 could accept any flight plan generated by those planners, since they use the same AIRAC as GTN
  • I find that even with all things being equal (i.e. EVERYTHING is using 1611), GTN still sometines/often does not recognize either an entire airway, or has the wrong waypoints in the airway.

That's what made me suspect that GTN has a 'limited' AIRAC 1611 implementation. My question to Dale was to see if he ever had the same experience, or does your GTN750 absolutely every time properly recognize a route created by one of the planners?

@Alex, you have a great product. I love using it. Donation on the way. Quick question:

• I have the original files from my Navigraph subscription for AIRAC 1611.
  • How can I get LittleNavmap to ingest/use my 1611 AIRAC instead?

Best, Dave

On 9/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, SteveW said:

What I do is output with each plan the entire set of waypoints of that plan as user waypoints, replacing the data each flight with the new set. (so a backup is required of any custom input waypoints before use). All the plans then load without fail (if the version of the GPS supports importing those waypoints from file).

Hi Steve, thanks for your input. I am intrigued but also a bit confused at your method as stated above.

Would you be so kind as to explain again with maybe some examples as I am not quite understanding.

In my case I create a flight plan in LNM and then save it to a pln but then I also export it to GTN format.

When in the aircraft I then import that GTN plan into my GTN750 but if there are waypoints that are not in the GTN AIRAC 1611, then GTN will lock the plan until you edit or remove the waypoints causing the issue.

Could you explain your method again please and thank you.

Regards, Dane

Yes Dane, I'm suggesting planners that output files for the GTN can make a separate file that makes up of the user waypoints data library, the plan file can then consist only of those user waypoints in the library. The plan loads since all the waypoints exists in the user library. I load the user waypoint first then the plan file. So long as the user lib is properly constructed, any corresponding names to real names in the GTN also have the lookup info from the GTN data. I'm not saying I do it with LNM since I use my own planner for the task but I'm saying It's a good idea that's easy to implement.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

5 hours ago, DominoX said:

That's what made me suspect that GTN has a 'limited' AIRAC 1611 implementation. My question to Dale was to see if he ever had the same experience, or does your GTN750 absolutely every time properly recognize a route created by one of the planners?

I see. That is indeed strange. A possible reason could be that some flight planners do not consider one-way, minimum or maximum airway restrictions (LNM does). The GTN then considers these invalid even if flight plan and waypoints exist in the GTN database.

9 hours ago, DominoX said:

@Alex, you have a great product. I love using it. Donation on the way. Quick question:

• I have the original files from my Navigraph subscription for AIRAC 1611.
  • How can I get LittleNavmap to ingest/use my 1611 AIRAC instead?

Are the original files the LNM database (*.sqlite) or other files? Do you have them for X-Plane by any chance?

Alex

7 hours ago, SteveW said:

Yes Dane, I'm suggesting planners that output files for the GTN can make a separate file that makes up of the user waypoints data library, the plan file can then consist only of those user waypoints in the library. The plan loads since all the waypoints exists in the user library. I load the user waypoint first then the plan file. So long as the user lib is properly constructed, any corresponding names to real names in the GTN also have the lookup info from the GTN data. I'm not saying I do it with LNM since I use my own planner for the task but I'm saying It's a good idea that's easy to implement.

Thanks Steve, I now understand

Regards, Dane

3 hours ago, albar965 said:

I see. That is indeed strange. A possible reason could be that some flight planners do not consider one-way, minimum or maximum airway restrictions (LNM does). The GTN then considers these invalid even if flight plan and waypoints exist in the GTN database.

Are the original files the LNM database (*.sqlite) or other files? Do you have them for X-Plane by any chance?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, I have the X-Plane AIRAC 1611 files in Navigraph format, but sadly not in LNM format. I'll send you a PM with a link to the files so you can see what I've got.

Best, Dave