Sign in to follow this  
ducatstrada

Database and updates

I recently purchased the GTN 750 for x-plane. I like using flight aware to see routes that airlines and commercial operators use before I create my own flight plan.  I immediately noticed that the SIDS and STARS were outdated on the GTN 750.  I thought maybe I had updated the airac incorrectly. Changed aircraft and all the STARS and SIDS were up to date.  I found out that I can not update the Nav Data.  I can not use it to fly online. I am really disappointed with this purchase, especially that it cost 50.00.  I really don't want to keep this product.  Is there any way I can get a refund.  I believe that there should be a disclaimer on the  product site that clearly states that the database can not be updated. I bought this to be used with x-plane 11 as advertised, not as a garmin trainer.

It runs off the Garmin trainer, so as you found out all the backend stuff is Garmin. You can update the data in it but you need a Garmin subscription to do it ($195 m/ $595 y). Not the answer you want or need - but just putting that out there. Since you aren't a real pilot using it for training and don't already have a subscription it doesn't really make sense. I wish there was toggle for "garmin/navigraph" data in it somewhere. The Pathera v3 has a GTN750/650 combo that's 90% working like the real one that doesn't use Garmin Data. But I would imagine it would require a sizable overhaul of the whole system and may not be worth the time - even though I and others like yourself would greatly appreciate it lol.

Wish Garmin would put out a "sim" rated version of the navdata for cheap - but I can see why they don't/can't.

For those of you who would consider buying even the cheapest Garmin navdata subscription, it is locked the serial number of a real world GTN unit. Don't have the real GTN? Well, too bad.

As much as I understand the need to use an updated database (mostly for online flights), the GTN database and functions are so much more than that, it's totally worth getting the opportunity to use one in a simulator if you don't use one as a real pilot. Both as a realistic training device and for entertainment.
Also, note that Reality XP clearly states the GTN offer is for entertainment only.

Also, even if Aerobask has created a very decent version of the GTNs, it's still far from what a GTN is really capable of and it significantly changes how you would fly.

SafeTaxi changes your life on the ground ;)
132a89c609ace2d304c2022d1514ca0e.jpg

The database content is also quite dense (also extremely useful while practicing VFR):
49150a3ead1cf891cab0fc8078204ba3.jpg

Instant access to Flitecharts (US):
720e519be395f798a8cd191f0e487c76.jpg
You would have to create and place the charts in the Aerobask folder (but that's possible and that's great, as you can even customize your charts).

[more comparison pictures Aerobask/Reality XP GTN]

Imho, Navigraph updates wouldn't come close to that kind of content.

• Upvote 2

Since this is purchased through the F1 wrapper, you have 30 days to get a full refund.

I absolutely love this RXP GTNs and have flown with it on Pilotedge a lot with no problems. I have them for both P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11.  AIRAC updates usually don't change that much one cycle to the next, and I believe whenever Garmin updates their training software they put a newer AIRAC in with it. 

Anything you purchase with F1 wrapper gives you 30 days to return with full refund, so it is always no risk.

• Upvote 2

On February 17, 2018 at 11:49 PM, Bourrinopathe said:

it's still far from what a GTN is really capable of and it significantly changes how you would fly.

They are commendable for their efforts, which gives a decent 'taste' of the GTN.

The Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch is first and foremost a professional grade training solution, which also happens to be offered at a fraction of the professional license premium so that simmers and enthusiast benefit from the performance and technology at retail price.

Not only the look is authentic, but the feel too: the RXP GTN reacts to your inputs like a the real GTN. It also includes for example an authentic Ryan TCAD 9900BX simulation (RXP), an authentic TAWS-A (and B) simulation (Garmin), and is much lightweight in terms of performance and GPU use than any other 'look-alike' solutions too.

We'd wish we had a ready to download/purchase/use solution for DB updates but there is none for now. Like I've said in our forums before, once we're done releasing all our new Garmin products (remains G600/500 for now), I'll have a closer look at what can be done with this topic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 16/02/2018 at 11:34 PM, ducatstrada said:

I recently purchased the GTN 750 for x-plane. I like using flight aware to see routes that airlines and commercial operators use before I create my own flight plan.  I immediately noticed that the SIDS and STARS were outdated on the GTN 750.  I thought maybe I had updated the airac incorrectly. Changed aircraft and all the STARS and SIDS were up to date.  I found out that I can not update the Nav Data.  I can not use it to fly online. I am really disappointed with this purchase, especially that it cost 50.00.  I really don't want to keep this product.  Is there any way I can get a refund.  I believe that there should be a disclaimer on the  product site that clearly states that the database can not be updated. I bought this to be used with x-plane 11 as advertised, not as a garmin trainer.

Like you I jist purchased this tonight and it I was also looking to update the database. I simply assumed Navigraph had an update for it and was disappointed it does not have a Navigraph updatable database. I will still try it to see if it is worth keeping. I saw the president's post and I hope he finds a way to make a navigraph database update. 

• Upvote 1

I own an aircraft with the real thing and I frequently use the GTN Touch for practice and trying different things. The issue of the database is really over cooked in my opinion. It is an awesome product if you want to experience what we use in the real world.

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

On 2/21/2018 at 6:07 PM, RXP said:

They are commendable for their efforts, which gives a decent 'taste' of the GTN.

The Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch is first and foremost a professional grade training solution, which also happens to be offered at a fraction of the professional license premium so that simmers and enthusiast benefit from the performance and technology at retail price.

Not only the look is authentic, but the feel too: the RXP GTN reacts to your inputs like a the real GTN. It also includes for example an authentic Ryan TCAD 9900BX simulation (RXP), an authentic TAWS-A (and B) simulation (Garmin), and is much lightweight in terms of performance and GPU use than any other 'look-alike' solutions too.

We'd wish we had a ready to download/purchase/use solution for DB updates but there is none for now. Like I've said in our forums before, once we're done releasing all our new Garmin products (remains G600/500 for now), I'll have a closer look at what can be done with this topic.

hmmm, i doubt that 'heroic' version of the RXP is strictly true, it is sold as a cheaper non-upgradeable version to capture another part of an obscure market and make an extra profit. It is all our faults that retailers get away with these half ended products because we are so 'desperate' to make the sim as real as possible that we just accept anything, with a hint of realism, that comes our way. If only someone had done it right from the beginning so we never needed to buy any kind of addon and it was all just there, aircraft, scenery, weather, as real as it gets... I'd have paid £2k plus for that experience, which would still be less than what I have spent over the 20 years of simming so far!

• Like 1