Sign in to follow this  
Heronjr

FMC message: rw/ils freq error

Sometime ago, someone posted in the 777 forum a problem occurred in some runways around the world, where a message “rw/ils freq error” appeared during the approach, i.e., the autotuning ILS system was not recognizing the frequency. It was identified as a bug and the walkaround was clearing the frequency box on the NAV/RAD page before entering the destination. This post was answered by lots of pilots with the same problem. 

Now, this same message came to me on the B747 QOTS approaching Rome LIRF rwy 34R. The ILS frequency was in the PFD, the same as of the approach plate, but the LOC switch refused to light  

Can someone please confirm if this is really a bug and the solution is still the above mentioned? Or simply, things like that happen and there is a Boeing documented solution?

P3Dv4.1, W7

Regards

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

29 minutes ago, Heronjr said:

Rome LIRF rwy 34R. The ILS frequency was in the PFD, the same as of the approach plate, but the LOC switch refused to light  

The PMDG aircraft obtains the ILS frequency from navdata.  It is likely that the navdata is correct, agrees with the charts, but the scenery is out of date. I have the new Aerosoft Rome so I cannot check but you can with the airplane at or near the airport:  Open the map and click on the airport and there will be a list of runways and ILS frequencies for that airport.  Those are what is in scenery, and the scenery is what provides the localizer "beam."  This is where one may have to manually enter the ILS LOC/CRS values to use with the obsolete scenery.

This has never been a bug in the PMDG product, it is just a lack of understand how the different pieces work together such as the difference between navdata and scenery.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

Also just in case it is worth noting that if an ILS frequency and course has been entered manually (for example LVP takeoff), the autotune is inhibited so the message will occur during the approach if the ILS is not on "park" at the time the autotune would set the ILS for approach.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Thanks for the support. I could not imagine the P3Dv4 Rome-LIRF so outdated - and it is considered one of the "detailed default" in the FS World. The ILS frequencies of runways 16R, 34R, and 25 are from the time of Caligula ;-)

Sorry if I used the word "bug", but I was influenced by that post in the 777 forum.

As I have other priorities for FS shopping, I will close those runways in PRO-ATC/X and use 16C, 34C, 34L and 16L.

Regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

27 minutes ago, Heronjr said:

I will close those runways in PRO-ATC/X and use 16C, 34C, 34L and 16L.

Heron, you certainly can use the obsolete frequencies.  It doesn't make sense not too, and don't be surprised that default scenery is obsolete.  LM has done very little in the way of updating default scenery that dates back to FS2004.  All you need to do is verify the frequency in use with the map in P3D and then manually set that frequency and course in the FMS.   Takes 30 sec.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 2/17/2018 at 5:53 AM, Heronjr said:

Sometime ago, someone posted in the 777 forum a problem occurred in some runways around the world, where a message “rw/ils freq error” appeared during the approach, i.e., the autotuning ILS system was not recognizing the frequency. It was identified as a bug and the walkaround was clearing the frequency box on the NAV/RAD page before entering the destination. This post was answered by lots of pilots with the same problem. 

Now, this same message came to me on the B747 QOTS approaching Rome LIRF rwy 34R. The ILS frequency was in the PFD, the same as of the approach plate, but the LOC switch refused to light  

Can someone please confirm if this is really a bug and the solution is still the above mentioned? Or simply, things like that happen and there is a Boeing documented solution?

P3Dv4.1, W7

Regards

Hi. You have solved the problem?