Sign in to follow this  
jhhuber

VFR No Flight Plan

I’m on the 10 day trial and attempting to fly VFR with no flight plan from on airport to another. Is this possible?  When I approach the destination airport, I attempt to contact approach but can’t seem to get permission to land. It could totally be my syntax, I know. Tips?

Also, I was directed by ground to taxi to a runway and hold short on another. Another plane took off on that runway, but ground never let me cross. Was I supposed to ask something?

Use the SayIt feature to get ideas on what to say in various situations. 

There's also a "Speech Cheat Sheet" in a pinned topic in this forum you should download and use.

If flying VFR without flight following, when you get within about 15 NM of the airport, call tower with something like " Tower, <CallSign> is 15 miles north at 4 thousand 5 hundred feet inbound for landing".

If you think you've been forgotten while holding to cross a runway, just say something like "Ground, <CallSign> wating to cross runway 35R" and you should get cleared to cross.

Dave

Ok thanks. Yes, I tried using the +? button and looking for what to say and couldn't find anything like what you modeled above.  Merely clicking the Sayit button doesn't seem to do anything unless there is something to respond to.

You have to be on a valid radio frequency and then the SayIt phrases for that controller will be visible.  You can also go to Grmr Help to review phrases for various controllers, regardless of the radio settings.

So if on Tower Frequency and you select Request and Approach, the last entry is similar to what I suggested. 

Dave