Sign in to follow this  
Greggy_D

Is FlyInside needed any longer with 4.2?

I've been reading about the VR performance improvements in P3D 4.2.  Since that was a main selling point of FlyInside, is it still needed/recommended?

I would use the Flyinside demo to try it out compared to P3D native and make a decision based on experience.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I haven't used it in the last two versions.  I can't get over the flickering in FI and it doesn't appear they are going to fix it.  It looks like all their resources are being used on the new flight sim.

I have not used FI since 4.1. The fact that I can switch VR on and off whenever I want, using Chaseplane, better add-on compatibility and other advantages make Native VR a must for me.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

How do you deal with viewing the gps, charts, etc. while in VR?  I agree native VR is visually better than with FI, but, I really rely on being able to view information while flying and native VR doesn't support visualization of other windows/app while in VR.

Danny

Danny

3 hours ago, DannyR said:

How do you deal with viewing the gps, charts, etc. while in VR?  I agree native VR is visually better than with FI, but, I really rely on being able to view information while flying and native VR doesn't support visualization of other windows/app while in VR.

Danny

If you are using an Oculus, you can pin charts and other applications natively using Dash 2.0. If not, at least you can access your desktop and glance at open applications. If you are flying an Airplane like the FFA320 in XP11, then you don`t need to do that, as the EFB allows you to access everything using a built-in web-browser. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 2/18/2018 at 3:03 PM, GCBraun said:

If you are using an Oculus, you can pin charts and other applications natively using Dash 2.0. If not, at least you can access your desktop and glance at open applications. If you are flying an Airplane like the FFA320 in XP11, then you don`t need to do that, as the EFB allows you to access everything using a built-in web-browser. 

Can you explain Dash a little more. I found it inside Oculus settings and you have to enable it as a beta software. I have not tried yet, I found some documentation on Oculus, but it seems as it is targeting developers not end users. So, I would truly appreciate how you go about getting the ATC window, GPS window and kneeboard to show in VR mode for P3D v4. I am planning on upgrading and not using Flyinside.

I am getting tired of the pop windows popping up in different places all the time, and unable to interact with them in critical phases of flight. and when you are flying IFR on approach it becomes very frustrating.

Does the sim pause, etc...

Thanks so much,

realkewl

8 hours ago, realkewl said:

Can you explain Dash a little more. I found it inside Oculus settings and you have to enable it as a beta software. I have not tried yet, I found some documentation on Oculus, but it seems as it is targeting developers not end users. So, I would truly appreciate how you go about getting the ATC window, GPS window and kneeboard to show in VR mode for P3D v4. I am planning on upgrading and not using Flyinside.

I am getting tired of the pop windows popping up in different places all the time, and unable to interact with them in critical phases of flight. and when you are flying IFR on approach it becomes very frustrating.

Does the sim pause, etc...

Thanks so much,

realkewl

I think you an take a look a tutorial videos such as this one to better understand the concept. Lately I have found out that you need to use button (I believe it is the "A", I am not at home now). The latest version of P3D allows 2D windows from the simulator to appear in VR. I believe it is also possible to undock the 2D window an pin-it via Oculus Dash.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:22 AM, GCBraun said:

I think you an take a look a tutorial videos such as this one to better understand the concept. Lately I have found out that you need to use button (I believe it is the "A", I am not at home now). The latest version of P3D allows 2D windows from the simulator to appear in VR. I believe it is also possible to undock the 2D window an pin-it via Oculus Dash.

Thanks...I tired and turned on Dash 2.0, but I can only get to the health and safety screen. it will not go pass this screen (says click and button), and I am thinking that Dash can only be used with Oculus touch. Can you confirm this? Even in the video link the guy had Oculus touch. I do not have Oculus touch so it does not work for me as of yet. But if anybody else know how to interact with ATC while in VR please chime in. 

So far I like what I am seeing in P3D v4.3 and would like to not go back to FI. Like you said before I like the fact that I can turn VR on or off and flight planning is a lot easier for me.

-realkewl

If you want to interact with ATC in native VR, you need to move the ATC window all the way to the top left corner prior to entering VR. Annoying, but it's the only workaround I'm aware of.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, RioPilot said:

If you want to interact with ATC in native VR, you need to move the ATC window all the way to the top left corner prior to entering VR. Annoying, but it's the only workaround I'm aware of.

Thank you!