Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Greggy_D

Is FlyInside needed any longer with 4.2?

Recommended Posts

I've been reading about the VR performance improvements in P3D 4.2.  Since that was a main selling point of FlyInside, is it still needed/recommended?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would use the Flyinside demo to try it out compared to P3D native and make a decision based on experience.

 


Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't used it in the last two versions.  I can't get over the flickering in FI and it doesn't appear they are going to fix it.  It looks like all their resources are being used on the new flight sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not used FI since 4.1. The fact that I can switch VR on and off whenever I want, using Chaseplane, better add-on compatibility and other advantages make Native VR a must for me.


Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 - 32Gb RAM DDR4 3200 - 5TB NVMe/SSD - Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU - BeQuiet Straight Power 1000W Platinum - BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (w. MONSTERTECH Mounts) + MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
Oculus Rift S / TrackIR
MSFS / Prepar3D V5 / DCS / XP11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you deal with viewing the gps, charts, etc. while in VR?  I agree native VR is visually better than with FI, but, I really rely on being able to view information while flying and native VR doesn't support visualization of other windows/app while in VR.

Danny


Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DannyR said:

How do you deal with viewing the gps, charts, etc. while in VR?  I agree native VR is visually better than with FI, but, I really rely on being able to view information while flying and native VR doesn't support visualization of other windows/app while in VR.

Danny

If you are using an Oculus, you can pin charts and other applications natively using Dash 2.0. If not, at least you can access your desktop and glance at open applications. If you are flying an Airplane like the FFA320 in XP11, then you don`t need to do that, as the EFB allows you to access everything using a built-in web-browser. 


Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 - 32Gb RAM DDR4 3200 - 5TB NVMe/SSD - Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU - BeQuiet Straight Power 1000W Platinum - BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (w. MONSTERTECH Mounts) + MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
Oculus Rift S / TrackIR
MSFS / Prepar3D V5 / DCS / XP11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 3:03 PM, GCBraun said:

If you are using an Oculus, you can pin charts and other applications natively using Dash 2.0. If not, at least you can access your desktop and glance at open applications. If you are flying an Airplane like the FFA320 in XP11, then you don`t need to do that, as the EFB allows you to access everything using a built-in web-browser. 

Can you explain Dash a little more. I found it inside Oculus settings and you have to enable it as a beta software. I have not tried yet, I found some documentation on Oculus, but it seems as it is targeting developers not end users. So, I would truly appreciate how you go about getting the ATC window, GPS window and kneeboard to show in VR mode for P3D v4. I am planning on upgrading and not using Flyinside.

I am getting tired of the pop windows popping up in different places all the time, and unable to interact with them in critical phases of flight. and when you are flying IFR on approach it becomes very frustrating.

 Does the sim pause, etc...

Thanks so much,

realkewl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, realkewl said:

Can you explain Dash a little more. I found it inside Oculus settings and you have to enable it as a beta software. I have not tried yet, I found some documentation on Oculus, but it seems as it is targeting developers not end users. So, I would truly appreciate how you go about getting the ATC window, GPS window and kneeboard to show in VR mode for P3D v4. I am planning on upgrading and not using Flyinside.

I am getting tired of the pop windows popping up in different places all the time, and unable to interact with them in critical phases of flight. and when you are flying IFR on approach it becomes very frustrating.

 Does the sim pause, etc...

Thanks so much,

realkewl

I think you an take a look a tutorial videos such as this one to better understand the concept. Lately I have found out that you need to use button (I believe it is the "A", I am not at home now). The latest version of P3D allows 2D windows from the simulator to appear in VR. I believe it is also possible to undock the 2D window an pin-it via Oculus Dash.


Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 - 32Gb RAM DDR4 3200 - 5TB NVMe/SSD - Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU - BeQuiet Straight Power 1000W Platinum - BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (w. MONSTERTECH Mounts) + MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
Oculus Rift S / TrackIR
MSFS / Prepar3D V5 / DCS / XP11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 6:22 AM, GCBraun said:

I think you an take a look a tutorial videos such as this one to better understand the concept. Lately I have found out that you need to use button (I believe it is the "A", I am not at home now). The latest version of P3D allows 2D windows from the simulator to appear in VR. I believe it is also possible to undock the 2D window an pin-it via Oculus Dash.

Thanks...I tired and turned on Dash 2.0, but I can only get to the health and safety screen. it will not go pass this screen (says click and button), and I am thinking that Dash can only be used with Oculus touch. Can you confirm this? Even in the video link the guy had Oculus touch. I do not have Oculus touch so it does not work for me as of yet. But if anybody else know how to interact with ATC while in VR please chime in. 

So far I like what I am seeing in P3D v4.3 and would like to not go back to FI. Like you said before I like the fact that I can turn VR on or off and flight planning is a lot easier for me.

-realkewl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to interact with ATC in native VR, you need to move the ATC window all the way to the top left corner prior to entering VR. Annoying, but it's the only workaround I'm aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, RioPilot said:

If you want to interact with ATC in native VR, you need to move the ATC window all the way to the top left corner prior to entering VR. Annoying, but it's the only workaround I'm aware of.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,100.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...