Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

P3Dv4.2 Good nVidia Inspector Results!

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

I have a 4k monitor myself and thus only use MSAAx8 in the P3D settings. What I have just started doing though is adding something to that. I use Gerard's 12 month presets and noticed he has FXAA checked and he says it needs to be on. I have found that turning it on in NI instead of in P3D is much better and I don't get any panel font distortion. This, for me, helps smooth out what jaggies I do have in the sim. Granted not all like super sampling type AA would but it does help and I have zero performance loss. I am on a 1080Ti though. 

Its also worth trying Anisotropic Filtering mode/setting of 16 set in NI .. Global...instead of in-sim. using user/defined,

bob

I seriously don't get this.. there are so many people claiming 1/2 vsync makes their sim smoother even though this setting does absolutely nothing because it just can't since P3D does not run in true full screen.

I have problem with nVidia inspector. If I limit my FPS for example to 30FPS I get horrible input delay in P3D V4.3. I didn't have this problem in V3.4.

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

40 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I seriously don't get this.. there are so many people claiming 1/2 vsync makes their sim smoother even though this setting does absolutely nothing because it just can't since P3D does not run in true full screen.

Probably 80% of the claims made on this forum regarding performance/FPS are based on placebo effects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2018 at 6:10 PM, Dougal said:

This really surprised me. I understood that with P3D, then nVidia Inspector was not only no longer required, but was detrimental to the sim.  After watching a recent YouTube vid, I thought I'd give it another go...

Although my monitor won't do 60htz, I'm now using Inspector set at 29.5fps and 1/2 refresh rate.  The results are excellent and I'm well pleased. Its definitely considerably smoother that when set to either locked or 30fps in the sim.

Same, for me it's an absolute beauty using 1/2 refresh 

14ppkc-6.png

Its working in mine I promise you and I've tried everything! The half refresh trick for me anyway works a treat 

14ppkc-6.png

I just reduce the resolution after loading a situation to 30 for all views and for me, perfection.  Rendering is mostly immediate and the scenery in the far, far distance seems a lot clearer to me too.  I do have all cores overclocked to 5GHz using the XMP mode in the bios.  Here's a fsuipc.log on a flight from FSDT KORD to FlightBeam KIAD, PMDG747, ASP4, UTLive -

Minimum frame rate was 11.3 fps, Maximum was 136.1 fps
Average frame rate for running time of 2844 secs = 57.5 fps
Maximum AI traffic for session was 299 aircraft

Settings on the graphics page are set to max and world page too except texture resolution is set to 1M.  See specs in signature.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

13 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I just reduce the resolution after loading a situation to 30 for all views and for me, perfection. 

Not following, how do you do this after loading?

Eric 

2 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Maybe... but not because of 1/2 refresh rate vsync setting. It can't and it doesn't work in P3D!

Please see my other post from earlier today about Windows Game bar. Maybe the difference from those that have 1/2 refresh working, and those that experience it doesn't work is that some have that disabled, and some does not. 

Anyways, my experience is that when Game bar was disabled, and adaptive 1/2 vsync enabled, it has no effect in P3D.

But with Game bar on, its another story. Just test it out. No need for Nvidia Inspector, just Nvidia Control Panel. 

Edited by vhaaland

Don't get me wrong I had issues at first with dxgi errors but if you use the 397.64 drivers it's a temporary solution. 

It's only now some 10 months after buying a 8700k and 1080ti strix I'm happy with them running in 4k

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

Not following, how do you do this after loading?

Eric, I change the resolution (zoom) by clicking on the minus key (I do not use wide-angle view.  Hate it).  The CS757 already uses 30 for their wing views.  Most of the other aircraft I have to make the manual changes.  Looks more realistic resulting in higher fps and rendering.  Works great with my 34" monitor.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Maybe... but not because of 1/2 refresh rate vsync setting. It can't and it doesn't work in P3D!

You are correct. Half Refresh rate CANNOT work in P3D. Its not a full true screen app.

It doesn't work with 'game bar' either as this does nothing to address the fact that P3D is not a full screen app.

Anybody who says half refresh rate is working is either a) seeing things or b) has an external  limiter set somewhere (probably in NVI or similar)

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Eric, I change the resolution (zoom) by clicking on the minus key (I do not use wide-angle view.  Hate it).  The CS757 already uses 30 for their wing views.  Most of the other aircraft I have to make the manual changes.  Looks more realistic resulting in higher fps and rendering.  Works great with my 34" monitor.

Jim - So you don't check the wide-aspect view box in the P3D UI I presume. I am curious how this would work on my 55" 4k TV? I use a zoom factor of .80 with wide-view aspect ratio checked along with Track IR. I only have a i7 6700k but with a 1080Ti. What zoom level do you use normally? 

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

10 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Anybody who says half refresh rate is working is either a) seeing things or b) has an external  limiter set somewhere (probably in NVI or similar)

So how do you explain the following?

* Game bar on - frames capped at 30 FPS

* Game bar off - frames capped at 60 FPS.

Only setting changed back and forth, its reproducable, and a difference of 30 frames is not "seeing things".

b )on my system I have FPS unlimited in P3D, and no extrenal limiter and no Nvidia Inspector even installed. I cannot explain why this happens, but my guess is this is something internal in Windows and the relation between WDDM and the Nvidia driver, even on apps not running in full screen mode.

Edit: I have not installed 1803 version yet, so maybe this only happens on 1709 with driver 388.31.

Edited by vhaaland