Sign in to follow this  
made82

Altitude callout "5"

Hello together,

In some videos i heard the callouts ..."30" "20" "10" "5"

Is there an option or an addon or something like that to add the "5" feet callout to a pmdg aircraft?

I guess that this feature in real is airline specific. 

1 hour ago, made82 said:

Hello together,

In some videos i heard the callouts ..."30" "20" "10" "5"

Is there an option or an addon or something like that to add the "5" feet callout to a pmdg aircraft?

I guess that this feature in real is airline specific. 

Hi mate,first of all sign all posts with your full name as described in https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/458101-guidelines-for-participation-in-the-pmdg-forum-please-read/

Regarding you question,Boeing aircraft dont have callout 5 as in Airbus.Maybe there is an option with Boeing to include this callout upon purchase,BUT in five years of work I have never seen a Boeing with a callout 5 only Airbus.Hopefully I answered you question.

Clear skies and best of luck,

Stefan Djordjevic 

9 hours ago, Stefanruss said:

Hi mate,first of all sign all posts with your full name as described in https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/458101-guidelines-for-participation-in-the-pmdg-forum-please-read/

Regarding you question,Boeing aircraft dont have callout 5 as in Airbus.Maybe there is an option with Boeing to include this callout upon purchase,BUT in five years of work I have never seen a Boeing with a callout 5 only Airbus.Hopefully I answered you question.

Clear skies and best of luck,

Stefan Djordjevic 

I wouldn't be so quick to generalize with regards to Boeing and customer options! While the 5' callout is certainly rare, it is a option that some operators have selected (and paid for $$$). As with pretty much any Boeing customer option, if it is technically feasible, and you are willing to put up the money, Boeing will make it happen. 

On the B744, all six -400ERF's built for Jade Cargo we're optioned with the 5' callout. Three are stored today, the other three are with Air Bridge Cargo, Cargolux and Cargo Air Lines.

• Upvote 1

Leo-

Do you have documentation of this 5' option on the 747-400?

We have seen not mention of it in any documentation- and we have mountains of it...

We are always surprised at the one-offs that customers will install however- which is why i am wondering.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Jimmy,

One of the things people HATE hearing me say, but i say frequently:  A youtube video isn't documentation.  :ph34r:

I mentioned specifically "we find no mention of it in any documentation."  This could be because the manufacturer doesn't officially support it, but the country of the operator approved an after-market modification/installation, or a host of other things right up to-and-including:  The operator installed something that isn't approved on the type certificate.  (Not an allegation in this case- but frequently found in the business jet world. )

We always seek actual documentation of behaviors and installation.  Otherwise we tend to ignore...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

The operator installed something that isn't approved on the type certificate.

How would they do this? Hack into the aircraft computers? Just curious.

Matt,

Repeating:  Not an allegation in this case.

I used it as an example.

You would be amazed the crap we find in airplanes that isn't legal to be there.  This is the reason a conformity check is so damned important when putting an airplane on a certificate for operation.  You NEED to know that nobody has monkeyed with it.

Something else that you see occasionally:  Many large airlines have their own repair/modification approvals, meaning they self certify to the regulator that any changes they make or repairs they make are valid and in compliance with the over-arching goals of the manufacturer and the regulator.  But those repairs/modifications are only valid if that operator is the one in possession of the airplane.  As soon as they sell it, those repairs/modifications become invalid and the new operator must conduct repairs according to the manufacturer's specifications, and return the airplane to original condition.  (This sounds sketchy to anyone unfamiliar with how the airline world works. it does NOT mean that they can skimp.  In many cases what they do is better than what is required- it just isn't "the manufacturer's method" so it isn't street-legal when you sell the airplane.)

In these cases, the airline will usually cut up their airframes at end of life...  Their own repair/modify authority has saved them money during the life of the airframe, but they would have to incur cost returning the airplane to spec- or take a bath on the sale price since the buyer would have to incurr those costs...   and the operator simply doesn't need that hassle so the smelt the thing and make beer cans out of it.

Don't even get me started on the stuff we find in business jets (or 80 year old douglas airplanes, for that matter.  LOL)

10 hours ago, MattS said:

How would they do this? Hack into the aircraft computers? Just curious.

Altitude callouts are set by grounding option pins on the EGPWS. No hacking required. However the wiring diagrams would need to be updated accordingly.

I would be very surprised if enabling the 5 ft callout was a 747 certification issue. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

On 2/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, rsrandazzo said:

Leo-

Do you have documentation of this 5' option on the 747-400?

We have seen not mention of it in any documentation- and we have mountains of it...

We are always surprised at the one-offs that customers will install however- which is why i am wondering.

Rob,

Absolutely. I submitted a ticket!

49 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Fantastic!  Thank you!

Robert,

For those of us who use "GO" instead of V1, do we need to submit a ticket?    ROFL

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam