Sign in to follow this  
Viking01

Relaxing "After The Race" Flight

After the exciting race, it's time for a nice and relaxing flight. 

We depart from Saanen (LSGK, ORBX airport) in Switzerland and fly around the Alps a bit and visit Ambri (LSPM), Samedan (LSZS, also from ORBX) and Bolzano (LIPB). 

From here we make a little detour to visit (re-visit for some of us) Locher. 
The freeware scenery can be downloaded here. I recommend to install it because it is really nice and enhances this approach and landing! I'm not quite sure that the airfield is visible as such without this scenery

To get an idea what kind of approach (with mandatory radio calls!) and airfield is waiting for us, have a look here!

After that interesting approach and departure, we head south to another small field, Mattarello (LIDT). There we visit Asiago (LIDA, ORBX-airport), Tessera (LIPZ, serving Venice) and Portoz (LJPZ). The destination today is Pula ( LDPL, ORBX airport).

In case most of us own the ORBX Pula airport we could extend the flight a couple of miles and land at Medulin (LDPM), a smaller airfield that is part of the Pula package.

I will take the PC-12, but as always, the choice is yours!

Flight Plan (pln-File and gfp for GTN)  is here!

Particulars
Date and time: Saturday 24th February 2018, 1900 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).
If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here ). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!
Set your takeoff time for 2 pm local time so we can enjoy the flight in the daytime.

Edited by Viking01
Wrong date, new link!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Gunter, this is just a terrific flight. It combines the drama of the wintertime Alps, the challenge of Locher, and vacation resorts on the Adriatic.

And thanks for charming suggestion that those who have Orbx Pula might wish to fly from Pula (LDPL) to nearby Medulin (LDPM) to cap off the day.

We might think about doing a tour of the city with its famous Roman amphitheater Pula Arena, the old city center Pula Fortress, and the Dean Skira multi-colored light show on the modern port's cranes. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Pula hosted the dreadnoughts of the Austro-Hungarian navy. Going back east, we would pass over the current football stadium. This very short flight would be suitable for a low-and-slow aircraft such as a C172 or a Cherokee. Or perhaps a DH.80 Puss Moth (by Milton Shupe, available at SOH for FSX/P3D here) or a DH.82 Tiger Moth (by Anthony Lynch, available at OZx for FSX/P3D here).  Fun...or a step too far? Thoughts?

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Mike,

excellent idea! It is just a couple of minutes more to explore the city of Pula and its surroundings before we continue to Medulin. And it is well done by ORBX.

I uploaded a revised flight plan for the GTN 650/750 and P3D since I marked Pula VOR as a waypoint instead of LJPZ where we want to land. If you downloaded the flight plan before Feb 20, 08:50 UTC, please re-download it, sorry for that and thanks Mike for the heads-up!

Bert, yes, Saturday 24th is correct, I will correct that.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

On 2/19/2018 at 10:10 AM, Viking01 said:

Set your takeoff time for 2 pm local time so we can enjoy the flight in the daytime.

Thank God for that! :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Way off topic....Thought I would share. It will reduce your heightened heart rate from the race.   :huh: 
How to waste 30 minutes, some newer videos were posted just recently. Relax........
In late August, after the EAA convention, Blakesburg, IA hosts a "members only" fly in where only the "best of the best" of antiques fly in.
Information about the fly-in --> http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyins/2017-back-to-basics.html

Part 1

Part 2

The "North Forty"

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Our man Locher flying his PC-12 for a quick ski trip over the Alps to Courchevel. We'll have our local expert provide commentary on the approach and touchdown. And then back for a twilight landing on the cozy confines of his home field. Lots of PC-12 details and plenty of GTN750 action. Worth a look on YouTube here.

• Upvote 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Great video, thanks Mike. Approaching Locher at night is really special!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Yeah, poor fellows....

fascinating, how many people were loaded and the take off at Locher was still possible 

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Ron,

You should have told me you were piloting the PMDG 737 into my hometown....
I would've greeted you with a Hot Toddy or a Brandy Old Fashioned to keep you warm! 

Try #1
Try #2

News #1
News #2

The knob is near the gear lever and it is called "Autobrakes" - You should've turned it all the way right..

Just kidding buddy!  LOL :biggrin:

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I tell ya man, that scared me. :ohmy: Right there I swore I'd never try flying a 737 again! :dry:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Sorry, I might be slightly late. Sadly, have a funeral earlier in the day. Will catch up.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1