Sign in to follow this  
RedArmyGooner

PC keeps restarting mid flight

Hi all

Is there any reason my PC would randomly restart in the middle of a flight? I am running version 4.1 on the i7 6700k @4.6 ghz (it also restarts at 4.00ghz) and a 1080ti card. 

I have automatic restarts switched off and I do not get a blue screen of death. It just goes black and restarts instantly. I don’t even receive an error in the event viewer. Any help would be appreciated. 

Turn off crash detection in simulator?  Doesn't make sense but you need to eliminate stuff so might as well try it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Nah it’s cool I am willing to try anything but unfortunately I always play with crash detector off so I don’t think it’s that. 

I am really lost as to what to do :( 

check temps on GPU also. Try different video drivers.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It can sometimes be down to what is called a dry joint in electoral terms, reseating your GPU or Memory and or connectors can sometimes solve this as it`s like having the plug pulled without warning.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Sounds like unstable OC to me, try updating your BIOS and remove the OC not only for your CPU but also for your memory.

If this doesn't solve it, perform a memory test and GPU test to see if these are the root cause.

Regards,
S.

• Upvote 2

You have a hardware issue. Two ideas, possibly heat related or you have a bad PSU.

Eric 

Thanks for all the replies. 

I did temperature testing again and my CPU actually had a max temp of 63 and my GPU had a max temp of 59. I also cleaned my heatsink which was really dusty. I will also try different video drivers as suggested

I have the CX750M Modular power supply from Corsair.

I have reseated my RAM and GPU, and set CPU to base clock speeds. 

It seems more stable overall but the situation obviously needs to be measured long term. Thank you for all the advice and if the issue persists I will post them here with updates. 

I agree with previous posters who have suggested the cause might be an unstable CPU overclock or PSU.

Have you tried taking P3D out of the equation and confirmed your cpu can pass a stress test (Prime95, LinX, RealBench etc) without faulting?

It’s happening again, to the point where it restarts within seconds of loading up a scenery. Guess I have to figure out what part of my rig is faulty. Any advice on how to do this? 

Hi Paj, and yes I have. My CPU passed hours of extensive stress testing at a 4.6ghz OC. I have reverted to base clock speeds of 4ghz and it’s still happening. 

In one of my first i7 builds back in 2009 I believe, I also experienced the restarts and I successfully passed all of the stress tests. I've simply dialed down the overclock and was back in business. I am assuming that the problem is likely related to your video card or memory.

Ps. Red Army!!!

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, RedArmyGooner said:

It’s happening again, to the point where it restarts within seconds of loading up a scenery. Guess I have to figure out what part of my rig is faulty. Any advice on how to do this? 

Hi Paj, and yes I have. My CPU passed hours of extensive stress testing at a 4.6ghz OC. I have reverted to base clock speeds of 4ghz and it’s still happening. 

Do a GPU stress test, Check out: http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Regards,
Simbol