Sign in to follow this  
RedArmyGooner

PC keeps restarting mid flight

Could it really be my video card? It’s a five month old Asus 1080ti at base clock. 

I’m finally getting the error code on the logs and it is event ID 41. 

2 hours ago, RedArmyGooner said:

My CPU passed hours of extensive stress testing at a 4.6ghz OC. I have reverted to base clock speeds of 4ghz and it’s still happening. 

I've had P3D dump me into the BSOD even after passing stress tests, it's rare but it can happen.  Check the nuts/knobs on your CPU cooler to make sure they haven't loosened, I've found that some mobos need to be unplugged (remove power from the case) after reverting to default settings otherwise you end up with odd symptoms.  Bottom line, you are looking for a hardware problem.  Are you using the Corsair Link utility to monitor temps for your CPU, board and PS?  You can get a better picture with the Intel XTU.  I use Link everyday, and launch XTU whenever troubleshooting or making adjustments.

Dan Downs KCRP

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, downscc said:

I've had P3D dump me into the BSOD even after passing stress tests, it's rare but it can happen.  Check the nuts/knobs on your CPU cooler to make sure they haven't loosened, I've found that some mobos need to be unplugged (remove power from the case) after reverting to default settings otherwise you end up with odd symptoms.  Bottom line, you are looking for a hardware problem.  Are you using the Corsair Link utility to monitor temps for your CPU, board and PS?  You can get a better picture with the Intel XTU.  I use Link everyday, and launch XTU whenever troubleshooting or making adjustments.

That’s the thing, I am not getting BSOD’s. I really wish I was because then I could pinpoint the problem a bit more accurately. Ill unplug my mobo and try that for sure.

I use a program from the CPUID range to measure temps but I can give XTU a shot. Thanks for the advice 

24 minutes ago, RedArmyGooner said:

Thanks Vic, I’ll hopefully find something in there. 

What version of bios and motherboard you have? Intel reported failures with their latest microcode released for spectre which can cause reboots under certain circumstances.

Intel widrawed the microcode and released a new one 2 or 3 weeks ago, as a result many manufacturers also removed their bios and they are now replacing it with new versions.

You could have been caught in the crossfire of the faulty microcode...

Regards

Simbol 

I had the same issue as well.

Turns out for me it was MSI Afterburner causing the issue. I removed it and it worked fine after that.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, simbol said:

What version of bios and motherboard you have? Intel reported failures with their latest microcode released for spectre which can cause reboots under certain circumstances.

Intel widrawed the microcode and released a new one 2 or 3 weeks ago, as a result many manufacturers also removed their bios and they are now replacing it with new versions.

You could have been caught in the crossfire of the faulty microcode...

Regards

Simbol 

I have the ASUS Z-170A with the latest bios (3703) installed and this error has occured on both this bios and the old one. If this is the issue then I guess I’ll just keep updating and hopefully one will fix it. 

One thing I need to add. When the issue first arose, someone told me that deleting my cfg file would work. This originally worked for a bit but then the problem came back.

i then did it again and the issue went away again but came back later. Is there something corrupting my cfg file? 

I started having the same issue as you three months ago.  and I have the same power supply as you.  I immediately suspected something was overheating.  When I took my computer apart and started cleaning everything,  I noticed my power supply fan was frozen up.  After replacing the fan,  I put my computer back together and haven't had any issues at all since.  Hope this helps.  I found that without any load from any programs, the psu was staying cool enough, but once I started running any of my sims, it would get too hot and the computer would instantly shut off.

6 hours ago, monica6211 said:

I started having the same issue as you three months ago.  and I have the same power supply as you.  I immediately suspected something was overheating.  When I took my computer apart and started cleaning everything,  I noticed my power supply fan was frozen up.  After replacing the fan,  I put my computer back together and haven't had any issues at all since.  Hope this helps.  I found that without any load from any programs, the psu was staying cool enough, but once I started running any of my sims, it would get too hot and the computer would instantly shut off.

This is very interesting especially seeing as a lot of people have suggested it's a power supply problem (and the fact you have the exact same power supply). How exactly did you find that the power supply fan was frozen? Just by looking at it I assume? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I had to ask before I take my PC apart again. 

Never mind. I had a look and the fan is working perfectly. I would just try another PSU regardless but I obviously haven’t got a spare one and with all the money I’ve pumped into P3D in the last four weeks, if I were to buy a new PSU and it didn’t solve it then I would be devastated. 

1 hour ago, RedArmyGooner said:

Never mind. I had a look and the fan is working perfectly. I would just try another PSU regardless but I obviously haven’t got a spare one and with all the money I’ve pumped into P3D in the last four weeks, if I were to buy a new PSU and it didn’t solve it then I would be devastated. 

You said you have a Corsair PS.  You can monitor your PS fan and voltages using their Link utility, a free download from them.  Their Link will display mobo temps, cpu core and package temps, PS voltages, temps and fan and pretty much everything mounted inside the case.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, RedArmyGooner said:

You have heard several people suggest checking the PSU because the symptoms you are having is usually caused by the PSU in most cases. Your fan may not be frozen, but it may not be turning at the proper rpm to cool the PSU sufficiently, or there may be another component heating up inside the PSU. I've been building my own computers since the first Tandy TRS-80 back in 1980, and the one part that failed most often for me has been the PSU. The fact that your computer restarts after you put a load on the system tend to indicate that something is heating up, and the two things that heat up the most under load is the PSU and the CPU. And those will usually fail because of lack of cooling, or improper voltages. It could certainly be something else, but I highly doubt it. There is still one other thing I've experienced which would cause this that not many people think of.  If you use a power strip to plug all of your computer chords into, that can give you the same symptoms, especially if it is an old power strip. Computers sure can be hard to troubleshoot sometimes. Hopefully, yours is an easy fix.

16 hours ago, downscc said:

You said you have a Corsair PS.  You can monitor your PS fan and voltages using their Link utility, a free download from them.  Their Link will display mobo temps, cpu core and package temps, PS voltages, temps and fan and pretty much everything mounted inside the case.

Thanks for the tip. I have downloaded a utility that does all of this and it is pretty easy to use and navigate. The issue is I have no idea what I am looking at when it comes to voltages. I guess what I am asking is how can I tell if it is failing?