Sign in to follow this  
stinger2k2

Keyboard via switches

Hi guys,

In the Embraer Phenom it has a GCU for inputting flight plan data etc. Part of this is a keypad for inputting letters and numbers. In the SIM this merely replicates the pc's keyboard. Ie pressing the letter A on the gcu can be also be done by pressing the letter A on my main keyboard.

My question: How to assign a switch to type the letter A ?

Cheers 

Stinger

Hi Stinger,

I sorta kinda understand the input portion of the whole home cockpit thing.  There are a few ways to do what you're asking - which is to encode an input of some kind (in your case, a switch or button perhaps).  Basically, you need to transmit the input that is generated back to the PC in a way that it understands as "A".

After looking at a few different options, I've found leobardner to be the best place for simple and fairly inexpensive hardware for getting signals from things like buttons to the PC.  Take a look at the BU836X (http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=180.  I have yet to actually work with this, but I think it will do what you're asking for.  Other folks here in the forum recommend leobardner for input processing, as well, so it's a known entity.

Basically: button-->BU836X-->USB-->emulation software...(which converts the button press to a keyboard letter, for example)  They specifically mention Joy2Key as the software to use for keyboard emulation.

They have decent documentation and really do try to make it easy.  Spend some time reading the stuff on their page and it should start to make sense...

Happy pecking!

-MJL

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.