Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

Change installation path?

Hello everyone,

first of all thank you for using the Avsim forums, this makes everything so much easier :D.

The installer automatically points the airplane into the P4D addons folder. I have moved my documents folder to my 2TB HDD using the function in the right click properties win 10 offers, as this is my main scenery installation path. P3D itself runs on an SSD. I have found noticable disadvantages in performance with the FSLabs A320 and the Aerosoft CRJ when I had them installed on my HDD (Addons folder). Their installers however let me choose another path and I installed them on my P3D SSD just outside of the P3D main folder. Is there any way with the Maddog to point the installation to this SSD too? If not, do you (or anybody else) know a way to move the maddog folder to the SSD without screwing up the registry? I a fully aware that drag and drop doesn't work :D

Thank you =)

Marc

The Maddog X needs to be in your Windows user's documents folders. If you were to re-assign through Windows the user documents folder to be on your SDD you should be able to move it.
As of now, there is no way to point the installation somewhere else but we'll definitely take your valid point into consideration for future installers if feasible.

Regards

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Hello Michele,

thanks for the quick response. This move function is unfortunatly only available for the documents folder itself, also for pictures, music, download etc, but not for their subfolders. No problem so far, it's not that it wouldn't be flyable. I can live with that.

2 minutes ago, Meekg said:

but we'll definitely take your valid point into consideration for future installers if feasible

thanks a lot! =)

For me it is no option to install the MaddogX on the C: disc. However I don't know how to direct it to the station where P3D is installed. With the FSLab 320 this was not a problem. So please can anyone help me out?

1 minute ago, Paalder said:

For me it is no option to install the MaddogX on the C: disc. However I don't know how to direct it to the station where P3D is installed. With the FSLab 320 this was not a problem. So please can anyone help me out?

You don't have to direct it. When it asks you for the P3D location, browse to Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and select the Prepar3D.exe

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Thank you for your reaction.

The Maddox installer doesn't ask for a P3D location, it starts right away to install on the C: station (Gebruiker/Gebruiker/Documenten/ Prepar3D Add-ons.) .

7 minutes ago, Paalder said:

Thank you for your reaction.

The Maddox installer doesn't ask for a P3D location, it starts right away to install on the C: station (Gebruiker/Gebruiker/Documenten/ Prepar3D Add-ons.) .

Sorry, I understand your question now.

It must be installed it in your documents folder. You cannot direct it anywhere else.
Go ahead and install in Gebruiker/Gebruiker/Documenten/ Prepar3D Add-ons, in the end it will ask you to find the sim path.

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

What you say is that I have to install the MaddogX on my C: disc which is a SSD just for Windows. This is the first add-on that gives this limitation and I am not happy with it. Can you give me some clue how to solve it?

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Paalder said:

What you say is that I have to install the MaddogX on my C: disc which is a SSD just for Windows. This is the first add-on that gives this limitation and I am not happy with it. Can you give me some clue how to solve it?

As of now that's the only option unfortunately. Moving the Maddog somewhere else would create a whole leap of issues.

As I told Marc we will definitely collect your feedback and verify if changing the structure is feasible and doable in future installers.

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

I'll have to wait till it is able to "not" have to install to C:\ drive. Seems that a majority of users that use an SSD drive for C:\ only have room to use it as boot drive. Just my opinion, but I think too many publishers are forcing to the boot drive. It becomes prohibitive.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

@Paalder @jimcarrel

Guys,

you can right click on the documents folder, click on properties, path and move the complete documents folder to a bigger drive. So you can use the addons folder without any problems. using this method will also update your registry. little to none of your addons will be affected as windows automatically takes all steps needed to find your files. Same is valid for all games that put their savegames into the documents. 

It's ridiculous to force people to install on the C drive. Most people run there sims off of a separate SSD for preformance. I wish I knew this before buying this. For €70, people should be allow to choose where they want to install files 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I'm not going to lie, it's a bit frustrating having it install wherever it wants to with no option to change it. I too have my sim on another drive, but I like having all of my aircraft in one place too.

• Upvote 2

Same here, need an option to choose another drive, as I want to have my sim files on the fastet drive available. I'll happily purchase the software as soon as this is possible. Hope you post a notification somewhere as soon as a new installer is available.

Markus Burkhard

Add me to the list of people that installs FS stuff to somewhere other than the C: drive.