Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

Change installation path?

You should be able to put your P3D Addons folder wherever you want and leave a symbolic link to it in your Documents folder. That's what I do, because I have several add-ons that install into the P3D Addons folder. (Disclaimer: I haven't installed the Maddog yet, but theoretically this is entirely transparent to applications since it's at the filesystem level and I haven't had trouble with any other add-ons).

Move your 'Prepar3D Add-ons' directory to wherever you want it (let's say, in my case, from C:\Users\mwilson\Documents to the root of my D drive, D:\). Now from an admin command prompt, run:

mklink /d "C:\Users\mwilson\Documents\Prepar3D Add-ons" "D:\Prepar3D Add-ons"

Now anything accessing the folder under the Documents location will be able to keep working, but the files actually live on my D drive.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, racingmars said:

You should be able to put your P3D Addons folder wherever you want and leave a symbolic link to it in your Documents folder. That's what I do, because I have several add-ons that install into the P3D Addons folder. (Disclaimer: I haven't installed the Maddog yet, but theoretically this is entirely transparent to applications since it's at the filesystem level and I haven't had trouble with any other add-ons).

Move your 'Prepar3D Add-ons' directory to wherever you want it (let's say, in my case, from C:\Users\mwilson\Documents to the root of my D drive, D:\). Now from an admin command prompt, run:

mklink /d "C:\Users\mwilson\Documents\Prepar3D Add-ons" "D:\Prepar3D Add-ons"

Now anything accessing the folder under the Documents location will be able to keep working, but the files actually live on my D drive.

Thank you!!

17 hours ago, racekarts2 said:

If I create a symbolic link as described, how would I disable (reverse it) if I wanted to?

Thanks!

You can just delete the link (e.g. through Windows Explorer) at C:\Users\youruser\Documents\Prepare3d Add-ons, then move the folder (e.g. from your D: drive) back into its original location.

I would also like it to be possible to change. I bought the aircraft today, and it doesn't work. I guess this is due to a non-English letter in my name (ø), which is also in my username in Windows. I think this might give some issues, atleast it did with the FSlabs when I installed that. This means that I can't activate the aircraft before they make it possible to change. I have submitted a ticket with them already.

38 minutes ago, Lucas Sorensen said:

I would also like it to be possible to change. I bought the aircraft today, and it doesn't work. I guess this is due to a non-English letter in my name (ø), which is also in my username in Windows. I think this might give some issues, atleast it did with the FSlabs when I installed that. This means that I can't activate the aircraft before they make it possible to change. I have submitted a ticket with them already.

Exactly the same here. My username is "Björn" and I can´t activate. Will submit a ticket, too.

Hope there will be a hotfix soon...

Greets

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Just installed MaddogX p3dv4.2...I have not used it yet, I'm waiting for your answer.

In my Documents folder I have :

Maddog X files folder : 1.03GB

Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\MaddogX : 1.32GB

Sorry but I wish I had these 2 folders in :

E:\Maddog X files

and E:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\MaddogX

1/Is there an other procedure than that proposed with the symbolic link (for example with addon.cfg or/and Xml file)?

2/Better...Please could you offer an other installer that gives the choice of the path (like other addons I have...A2A, FsLabs, Aerosoft and so on) ?

My Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder is on E: !

Btw I'm disapointed by your install procedure...

Thank you,

• Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

They will have to change some code of the aircraft itself to make this possible, as they said in the beginning of this discussion. A simple change of the installer won‘t do it. But I think they have understood the need of this option so all we can do now is wait.. 

On 3/1/2018 at 7:31 AM, Ephedrin said:

They will have to change some code of the aircraft itself to make this possible, as they said in the beginning of this discussion. A simple change of the installer won‘t do it. But I think they have understood the need of this option so all we can do now is wait.. 

I didn't want to give false hopes, after consulting with the lead programmer it looks like we won't be able to change the structure so easily, definitely not on a short term.

If you are unable to use the add-on because of this limitation please do submit a support ticket so we can keep track of the amount of users who require the change.

• Upvote 1

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

25 minutes ago, Meekg said:

I didn't want to give false hopes, after consulting with the lead programmer it looks like we won't be able to change the structure so easily, definitely not on a short term.

If you are unable to use the add-on because of this limitation please do submit a support ticket so we can keep track of the amount of users who require the change.

In the beginning I was concerned that there might be performance issues as MY documents folder is on an HDD... I had massive problems with you know who‘s airbus as long as it was installed there but with the MD 82 everything is absolutely smooth...

but this reply is only valid for me on my system, others may have other issues. And many hate the addons folder as it is installed on their smaller system‘s SSD... 

On 02/03/2018 at 1:09 PM, Meekg said:

Thank you for responding...

I'll submit a ticket...To be fair should not you say that (about support ticket submit) in a pinned topic? In the same spirit, would it be wise to open a poll?

Thank you and Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I am disapointed and amazed that the Maddog can only be installed on the C-drive. The designer of the installer must have had a weak moment. I sense a reluctance to correct this fault which amazes me even  more. Come on, be a mad dog and correct it (please).

• Like 1

I am forced to install the plane on where I have my boot drive - SSD - and it's 250 gb. I don't like to install any addons there. I have two other drives with plenty of space. I too would like the option to change where I put the plane. I would prefer this than playing around with the properties of the folder itself.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Add me to the list of Customers who want to be able to install this to another drive.  I keep C:\ only for my OS and a few utility programs.  Have an entirely different SDD dedicated to P3D.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM