Sign in to follow this  
SpeedbirdA320FO

Maddog frame rate

7 hours ago, J. Eberhardt said:

Are there already any new findings on the problem with the frames and dynamic lights ?
As soon as I switched the landing and the noise lights on, my frames drop sometimes
over 20 fps down (mainly at night) on the follwing system:

i7600k@4.5, 16GB, GTX1070 (8GB), Win10
P3d 4.1 (but also happens at 4.2), Dyanmic lights on

In the md load manager the panel and the true glass/real light settings are on 2048,
at 1024, unfortunately, nothing is recognizable.

Without turning on the lights (noise and landing lights), it runs always smoothly.

The funny thing is that other users with almost the same system and similar settings
have no problems with the lights.

Currently only option is to turn off DL, or turn off true glass/real light.
With DL and RealLight, it is also tolerable when the noise light only switch to dim and
the landing lights stay off (only 10 fps drop down).

Regards
Jens

The issue with DL mostly stems from several factors, not just DL in itself. Those would be higher AA settings (anything SSAA) and overlapping light cones.

Try lowering your AA settings wherever they are set (in sim or NI) and see how it effects your FPS and the way your sim looks (p3d requires high settings to generate decent visuals, that's the catch).

As for the light cones , there's not a lot you can do about other than avoiding turning up all the lights together. Visually, landing lights on their own or taxi light alone will be bright enough for you to see what's ahead of you.

Various settings i already tried, unfortunately not promising. My actual AA is 4xMsaa. 

Actually, I would be satisfied, , if RealLight and TrueGlass could be switched on separately. Without RL and with DL the lights are fine, but you have not any TrueGlass features :-(

Deactivate RealLight by renaming or uninstall is not satisfactory because at night the Overhead panel stays dark...

On 2/24/2018 at 0:41 AM, ahsmatt7 said:

anyone have any ideas?

My personal opinion, but I'm not a gear expert and I did not follow the whole discussion here.

Why chasing such high FPS (which your eye can arguably see) and stranding your GPU?

I have mine locked at 30fps, they are constantly at 30, occasionally drop in the 20ies when I'm at very heavy airports with dyn lights and weather.

I feel it makes the whole thing smoother than having constant fluctuations and GPU usage is 50% (vs constantly 100%).

Edited by Meekg
  • Upvote 1

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

I have pretty much the oppsite experience. The sim runs better with unlimited. My GPUs run at 100% or close to it, but that is what I pay them to do. Not laze around at 60%. 😀

12 hours ago, Meekg said:

My personal opinion, but I'm not a gear expert and I did not follow the whole discussion here.

Why chasing such high FPS (which your eye can arguably see) and stranding your GPU?

I have mine locked at 30fps, they are constantly at 30, occasionally drop in the 20ies when I'm at very heavy airports with dyn lights and weather.

I feel it makes the whole thing smoother than having constant fluctuations and GPU usage is 50% (vs constantly 100%).

My fps usually stsy ptetty constant around 40 to 45. Only at heavy airport will it drop to mid to low 30s. It's not a stuttery mess by any means.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

On 3/9/2018 at 2:47 PM, Omaniac said:

I have pretty much the oppsite experience. The sim runs better with unlimited. My GPUs run at 100% or close to it, but that is what I pay them to do. Not laze around at 60%. 😀

It not "better" at all, it might "feel" "better" because you see high FPS. But it's detrimental to your sim as your giving it no room to breath. Do you get in your car and put your accelerator to the floor and keep it there so you're getting 100% of it's power all the time?

What happens when you turn in the sim or it needs to load a big airport and your CPU/GPU have to draw a new scene? there running flat out at 100% so what has your PC got in reverve to use to load the new screen? nothing. Better to have it running at 60% and have 40% extra power when it's really needed not just feeding a FPS read out.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Nope, I base it on how smooth my head moves around the cockpit (I use TrackIr). The difference is not huge, but it is there. At 30 FPS my GPUs never get close to 100%, no matter what or where I fly. My CPU is never stressed and stays well below 100% no matter what I do. 

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It not "better" at all, it might "feel" "better" because you see high FPS. But it's detrimental to your sim as your giving it no room to breath. Do you get in your car and put your accelerator to the floor and keep it there so you're getting 100% of it's power all the time?

What happens when you turn in the sim or it needs to load a big airport and your CPU/GPU have to draw a new scene? there running flat out at 100% so what has your PC got in reverve to use to load the new screen? nothing. Better to have it running at 60% and have 40% extra power when it's really needed not just feeding a FPS read out.

I'm sure this is all systems dependent, but on the systems I've run or manage that run NVIDIA cards, I've found that using Unlimted Frame Rates and V-Sync/Triple Buffering On (which essentially provides a locked 50% of your monitor fresh rate, for me that's a chosen 30fps) seems to be the best setting for all conditions.  But then again I run all payware scenery, ORBX, yada... yada... yada... so having processing power in reserve to keep frames stable on large memory loads is important. Of course this may not be he case for everyone's type of flying or their systems, which is why we get so many diverse responses where frame rates are concerned.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 10/03/2018 at 3:46 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm sure this is all systems dependent, but on the systems I've run or manage that run NVIDIA cards, I've found that using Unlimted Frame Rates and V-Sync/Triple Buffering On (which essentially provides a locked 50% of your monitor fresh rate, for me that's a chosen 30fps) seems to be the best setting for all conditions.  But then again I run all payware scenery, ORBX, yada... yada... yada... so having processing power in reserve to keep frames stable on large memory loads is important. Of course this may not be he case for everyone's type of flying or their systems, which is why we get so many diverse responses where frame rates are concerned.

Interesting. As for me, by no means I could make this 1/2 refresh rate thing to work on P3D v4.x... My screen is a 55" 4k TV and the default refresh rate is 60 Hz. It works very well when I set it to 30 Hz, no stutters at all, but then the mouse gets sluggish in a way that I consider very distracting. Then recently I discovered that I could set it back to 60 Hz and use NVidia Inspector to lock the FPS to 30, then I turn off VSync and all associated settings and have it so fluid again, with the advantage that the mouse is not sluggish anymore.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

11 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Interesting. As for me, by no means I could make this 1/2 refresh rate thing to work on P3D v4.x... My screen is a 55" 4k TV and the default refresh rate is 60 Hz. It works very well when I set it to 30 Hz, no stutters at all, but then the mouse gets sluggish in a way that I consider very distracting. Then recently I discovered that I could set it back to 60 Hz and use NVidia Inspector to lock the FPS to 30, then I turn off VSync and all associated settings and have it so fluid again, with the advantage that the mouse is not sluggish anymore.

I'm running a 55 inch 4K and three 23 inch monitors off a GTX 1080, and I use the 1/2 refresh rate (VSync)... it's perfect!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

7 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm running a 55 inch 4K and three 23 inch monitors off a GTX 1080, and I use the 1/2 refresh rate (VSync)... it's perfect!

Where do you set 1/2 Refresh Rate? NVidia Inspector?

You screens are all set to 60 Hz?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

No sir, with P3DV4 I don't (won't) use Nvidia Inspector unless I have a specific need to.  Instead, I simply set Vsync and Triple Buffering to On in P3DV4 as well as setting Unlimited Frame Rates. If you try this, please let me know how it works for you.  Given what you've shared, I think you'll love it!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

Continuing the conversation on Triple buffering/Vsync.

Setting these options on is like setting your fps to 30 so to speak. Or probably helping to keep FPS at 30. I'm sure it busts the 30 at time but you guys will know if that's true or not.

What I would find interesting is if you guys tried setting your FPS to 31 and adding the only tweak I use. Add Fiber Frame Time Fraction of 0.01. Since you guys have no problem with blurries like I don't. Setting FPS with the FFTF is the same as running unlimited but the benefit of your PC working at producing no more fps than you need at all times. The reason I suggest you set to 31 is because within the sim you do not really ever see 31 you see 30.7-30.9.

I use Triple buffering/Vsync but my monitor is 120Hz so I set my FPS to 25=24.x thats 120/5.

As long as you add the FFTF you should not see any difference in how your sim runs because FFTF at 0.01 is the same as setting unlimited fps in how the sim runs, but your PC will not give anymore FPS at any time than you need thus giving your PC as much time to breath unlike people running no Triple buffering/Vsync and FPS at unlimited.

[MAIN] 

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

Here is a link to a video on the FFTF showing in detail how it works.

Here is what LM say on the matter and hence why limiting FPS is bad for FPS or good if your having texture loading problems.

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:

This setting, which defaults to a value of .33 (33%), defines the percentage of each frame that is devoted to loading scenery. Increasing this number can reduce "the blurries", but it can cause stutters, and can also reduce the overall frame rate. Try reducing the number to the lowest level where you still get smooth scenery paging. This will vary depending on disk speed as well as the type of flying, as well as the selected scenery settings.

Anyway just a thought guys. :biggrin:

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Setting the NVidia Control Panel option to 1/2 Refresh Rate never worked for me, I mean, it never limited the FPS to 30. The only way it really worked was limiting the refresh rate of my screen to 30 Hz - and - setting the P3D internal options of VSync and Triple Buffering, which indeed made things very smooth but *only* when the FPS kept at or above 30. Whenever it diminished below 30 the stutters were so drastic. Another disadvantage was having the mouse pointer feeling SO sluggish.

The other day I tried messing with NVidia Inspector, which I haven't tried using since the FSX times, long story short, I came up with locking the FPS within the Inspector to 30, leaving the P3D internal locker to unlimited and no VSync and no triple buffering. This combination gave me the same smoothness as described in the first paragraph with the advantage that now I can revert the screen's refresh rate back to 60 Hz (default), in which the mouse point is also smooth again. Another apparent advantage is that whenever the FPS falls below 30 it doesn't get stuttery, of couse you can feel the frames slower, but then again the frames are kind of constant rate which eases the experience.

As to FFTF these days I tried 0.1, which didn't give me blurries, but added some kind of "frame skipping", at least it felt like so, some kind of stutters where the next frame was a bit beyond the last one, then I raised it to 0.15, which solved the behaviour apparently, as I haven't noticed it any longer.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

6 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

As to FFTF these days I tried 0.1, which didn't give me blurries, but added some kind of "frame skipping", at least it felt like so, some kind of stutters where the next frame was a bit beyond the last one, then I raised it to 0.15, which solved the behaviour apparently, as I haven't noticed it any longer.

With fps unlimited setting FFTF at 0.01 am not sure what effect trying to manual add a value is going to have. Sounds like a conflict of interests. I would delete it all together if your setting unlimited.

Interesting that simply setting inspector to 30 ment you did not need VSync and triple buffering. I personally would set 30.5, reasons are above. 

I might give inspector a try and just use FPS set to 24.5.