Sign in to follow this  
him225

a320 on different engines?

can an a320 have/serve with one engine of iae and other of cfm or neo? wondering if say availability, maintenance or an upgrade program calls for it.

1 hour ago, him225 said:

can an a320 have/serve with one engine of iae and other of cfm or neo? wondering if say availability, maintenance or an upgrade program calls for it.

While I'm not an airplane mechanic or technician, I doubt that. The thrust-ratings isn't the same for both engines.

I doubt you can cross-mount engines on an airplane...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I seriously doubt it. Apart from the thrust rating difference, you might have a difference in engine indications on the EICAS or ECAM for each engine.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The only commercial plane I can think of with something even remotely similar was the re-engined 727 Super 27. Engine 1 and 3 were "new" JT8D-217's and engine 2 remained the same, a JT8D-15

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

No, as stated the thrust is different across the power curves for the different plants. You'd end with asymmetrical thrust at multiple thrust settings across the entire power range...as well as causing the EICAS to have a mental breakdown...it be a nightmare.

Mind you, I'd be surprised if some dodgy racket out in the sandpit hasn't thought about it.

Differences in thrust did come to mind. But since it uses fadec rather than direct control can they not be tuned to give near about similar thrust targets at same thrust lever positions or such?

52 minutes ago, him225 said:

Differences in thrust did come to mind. But since it uses fadec rather than direct control can they not be tuned to give near about similar thrust targets at same thrust lever positions or such?

Engine instruments would be your other issue since they aren't exactly the same between engines. Rolls-Royce engines use N3, whereas Pratt & Whitney and General Electric engines only go as far as N2. General Electric uses N1 for thrust, whereas Pratt & Whitney and Rolls-Royce use EPR. Even then, EPR for both are different.

In any event, I'm not sure why you'd want two different engines on one aircraft anyhow. Maintenance would be a nightmare.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.