Sign in to follow this  
dougfir

IMPORT FLIGHT PLANS STILL NOT WORKING AFTER UPDATE

I downloaded the latest GTN750 update tonight 2/21/18.

I created a new .gfp flight plan and put it in the recommended folder: c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN\

In addition, user.wpt is the the correct folder:c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN\

It's also in c:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer Data\GTN\FPLN\ which was another location mentioned.

If I go to Flight Plan - Menu - Catalog the flight plan is not there.

If I then goto Waypoint Info and then select User Waypoint it says "No user waypoints exist."

Surely someone at RealityXP has a WIndows10/64bit PC that is capable of debugging this error.

I have also defined the appropriate environmental variable "GTNSIMDATA" through both the System dialog box as well as directly in the Registry but to no avail.

All the folders I have tried have permissions. 

Hard to believe this is that hard to track down.

Jean-Luc responded to my first posting on Feb 9 but nothing since then.

A little help please.

John

Hi,
Did you import your flight plans?
If you just save them as .gfp in the FPLN folder they don't appear in the flight plan list but you have to import them (like using a virtual data card), then they should appear in the Catalog.
Same with the user waypoints.
At least, I can confirm I have no problem on my installation (default folders) with the latest version (updated minutes ago). Also using W10/64.

961617bd5a2efbdc60d9da6206409eea.jpg
4144f11e910170d4381fdc6bab222517.jpg
bca5e693a5031f715e71c4487114c820.jpg
cfa7884ac839dda6b9fee80df5df1c32.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dougfir said:

If I go to Flight Plan - Menu - Catalog the flight plan is not there.

Hi John

You need to click again on the Menu icon and then on the data card icon. Then you should see your flightplans to import.

Greg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dougfir said:

I created a new .gfp flight plan and put it in the recommended folder: c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN\

It's also in c:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer Data\GTN\FPLN\ which was another location mentioned.

Hi, like explained in the User's Manual: the former is when using GTN Trainer 6.41.x, the latter when using GTN Trainer 6.21 or less. There is no need to create both folders unless you also fly both trainers...

6 hours ago, dougfir said:

I have also defined the appropriate environmental variable "GTNSIMDATA" through both the System dialog box as well as directly in the Registry but to no avail.

The folders mentioned above are the default installation folders. There is no need to create any environment variable should the trainer be installed in its default location.

There is no mention of any registry to manual edit anywhere either!!?

Last but not least, the User's Manual now details alternate option about the FPLN folder. You can create a shortcut to any other folder on your drive instead. This might help if for any reason the 'ProgramData' folder is somewhat 'excluded' for your user account.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I don't have a permissions problem, I have a NO IMPORT BUTTON problem.

Yes, I can create a flight plan within the GTN and Store in in the catalog but that misses the point.
I should be able to create a flight plan using an external program, save it to the correct folder in the correct format, and than should be able to IMPORT it into the GTN - not recreate it from scratch.

I still have no "IMPORT" button when doing the Flight Plan - Menu - Catalog sequence.

Jean_luc says

"Last but not least, the User's Manual now details alternate option about the FPLN folder. You can create a shortcut to any other folder on your drive instead. This might help if for any reason the 'ProgramData' folder is somewhat 'excluded' for your user account."

From the only User's Manual I have, page 9 of 15
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preparing the virtual datacard
The first step is to create a virtual datacard folder where to store the flight plans and the user waypoints. This folder must be named FPLN and be located in the GTN Trainer Data folder, typically:

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well which is it?
The GTN Trainer Data folder or the Garmin\Trainers folder as shown in the example.
Either one? Ok, I have the sample flight plans in ALL of the following folders:

c:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\FPLN
c:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer Data\GTN\FPLN
c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN

Yes, I can create a flight plan within the GTN and Store in in the catalog but that misses the point.
I should be able to create a flight plan using an external program, save it to the correct folder in the correct format, and than should be able to IMPORT it into the GTN - not recreate from scratch.

I still have no "IMPORT" button when doing the Flight Plan - Menu - Catalog sequence.

Jean_luc says

"Last but not least, the User's Manual now details alternate option about the FPLN folder. You can create a shortcut to any other folder on your drive instead. This might help if for any reason the 'ProgramData' folder is somewhat 'excluded' for your user account."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first step is to create a virtual datacard folder where to store the flight plans and the user waypoints. This folder must be named FPLN and be located in the GTN Trainer Data folder, typically:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well which is it?
The GTN Trainer Data folder or the Garmin\Trainers folder as shown in the example.

I should be able to create a flight plan using an external program, save it to the correct folder in the correct format, and than should be able to IMPORT it into the GTN - not recreate from scratch.

Jean_luc says

Well which is it?

I don't need a shortcut, I just tried the .gfp files in any/all of those locations.

Again I don't have a  permissions problem, I have an import problem.

John

On the same boat but with F1 version and I have windows 7.

Edited by RXP

Sorry for the multiple posts, I don't know what happened there.

I did exaclty these steps you suggested above:

Create a folder "Documents\GTN Flight Plans" where to copy the flight plan files and user waypoints file.
Open "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\", right-click the empty area to the right, select new | shortcut
Name the shortcut "FPLN" and select the browse button
Browse to select the "Documents\GTN Flight Plans" folder and press OK. 

Again, no Import button.

Here's another example:

On this thread "https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/523929-how-to-add-flight-plans-to-the-gtn-750/"

Posted November 9, 2017, RXP wrote

" If flight plans are not showing up, can you at least try the user waypoints?
HOME PAGE | Waypoint Info | IMPORT WAYPOINTS
Once the import message success shows up:
HOME PAGE | Waypoint Info | User Waypoints | View List "

However, when I click HOME PAGE then Waypoint Info I see no Import button of any kind.

My choices are "Airport","Intersection","VOR","VRP","NDB","User Waypoint", and "Create Waypoint"

If I select "User Waypoint" I get "No user waypoints exist. Create User Waypoint?"
Still no Import button.
So, ok, I create a waypoint. Go back to Home then back to "User Waypoint".
The waypoint I just created is there but no Import Button.
Again, the internally created waypoints exist but no way to import those created by other programs.

There are numerous other threads in this forum with users with Import problems.

You seem only capable or willing to keep repeating what people should see and not wanting to believe what they actually see (or don't see).

Your only repeated corrective action appears to be permissions, permissions, permissions.

When people tell you they have permissions you either can't or won't believe them or can't or won't be bothered trying anything else.

How about sending out a debug version - stand alone or not (not in any aircraft) that actually writes out the location a user is trying to access along with any error messages Windows returns to your code?

That way for sure you know if it's a wrong location, or a permission problem or something else.

Else we will keep writing in about "no Import button" and you will keep replying it's a permission problem and we get nowhere.

John

His John,

thank you for the additional details.

hopefully, unlike what you've mentioned above, there are only few customers reporting this issue. However, this is one too many and at the same time, not enough, so that we can find a pattern.

the way the trainer 'discovers' the files present in the folder is simply just by the very standard Windows function 'FindFirstFile' and 'FindNextFile'. The only reason we know off these would fail is access rights, or empty folders. 

However, there was a potential bug in our GTN since we added support for trainer v6.41 with path redirection (I.e. our addition which allows you setting different than standard path using environment variables). This is now fixed in our latest v2.4.14 released few days ago.

can you confirm you have installed the latest v2.4.14? (The FPLN shortcut way is only mentioned in the latest user's manual, the version number is printed out in the RXP log files to cross check.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

There is a huge problem with the GTN 750 (Complete) v2.04 in the P3D v4.1 sim, for some users - I am one of those users.

For well over a month I have reported this problem on the F1 GTN Forum and was told back a month ago that they were aware that others had this problem but because they were busy with other issues they could not get to fixing this problem at the moment - that was over a month a go.

I STILL DO NOT HAVE AN IMPORT BUTTON in the Flight Plan\Catalog Menu - I do in FSX-SE but not in P3D v4.1 even after I updated to GTN Complete v2.05 which I was hoping would contain the fix.

Regards, Dane

Edited by Dane Watson

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Hi Dane, 

this is the support forum for the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch, furthermore for X-Plane...

3 hours ago, dougfir said:

How about sending out a debug version - stand alone or not

I'll see what can be done about this. No promises though, until we restrict the scope of 'logging' what and when.

35 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi Dane, 

this is the support forum for the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch, furthermore for X-Plane...

OOPPPS - MY BAD - SO SORRY.

But I guess some of you are having the same issue as some of us P3D fliers...

Dane

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

4 minutes ago, Dane Watson said:

But I guess some of you are having the same issue as some of us P3D fliers...

That's true, as this is rooted in the trainer. There are major implementation differences nonetheless, both for the Reality XP GTN for FltSim and the Realuty XP GTN for XPlane. Let's hope we'll find a cure!

Jean-Luc

As to the version:

When I first open the GTN750 I see "SW Version:" 6.41.1 TRNG

The file I installed on 2/21/18 was rxpGTN-750-XPL.exe size 24,626,127 dated 2/21/18 (which was when I downloaded it.)

The F1 reinstall screen said rxpGtnSim.dll v 2.4.14 so I believe I have the latest version.

The Plugin File: In the e:\Games\XPlane\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\rxpGTN\64\ folder I have win.xpl  size 3,737,088

Also, where do I find the RXP.log file, I have searched my system drive and my game drive and cannot find any log for Reality or Garmin or RXP, etc.

The log may be the simple solution:

The Winapi FindFirstFile function says:
"Searches a directory for a file or subdirectory with a name that matches a specific name (or partial name if wildcards are used)."

So, you must be supplying one or more directories to the function call.
Simply write to the log something like : we searched [location1] , [location2], etc and found no .gfp files (or .pln, etc)    
    When the user does the sequence Main | FlightPlan | Menu | Catalog you could write a line to the log such as: Searched for [xxx] in location {xxx} found [y] files or found 0 files.

That may help the user in placing the files.

John

Edited by RXP