Sign in to follow this  
James95

Transferring to V4- Advice required

Evening everyone!

I'm finally about to bite the bullet and go from FSX to P3DV4. 

However, before I do. I'm thinking about swapping out my graphics card.

My set up at the moment is:

- Intel I7 6700K

- EVGA 4GB GeForce GTX970

- G Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB

- ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard

- Corsair 850W Powersupply

- At the moment I run just a normal ASUS HDMI monitor (1920 x 1080)

From reading the forums, I see Dynamic Lighting takes a hit, but this is one of the reasons I would like to make the switch, along with TFDI TrueGlass and RealLight. 

I think the 1080TI is out of the question for me, due to the prices at the moment. But from reading the forum this is only really required if you want to do VR?and I think in the future the only step I will make will be 4K.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

James Roberts

James Roberts

Overall your system will run v4 pretty well, with the limiting factor being your graphics card (as you seem to know). 

I used a 970 with v4 for a while and it was the bottleneck especially when trying to use high resolution textures or high autogen settings. Very quickly it would run out of graphics RAM. Now my system has 1080 card and it is never saturated at the settings I use.

Dynamic lighting is not something I worry with so cannot speak to how it might be affected by graphics card.

Let's see what others might have experienced.

24 minutes ago, James95 said:

I think the 1080TI is out of the question for me, due to the prices at the moment. But from reading the forum this is only really required if you want to do VR?and I think in the future the only step I will make will be 4K.

For 1080p your fine with those specs, but 4k can be almost so demanding as VR, almost ;) So when go 4k you gonna realyze you need that GPU udpate, for now your good!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Thanks for the advice so far guys, greatly appreciated.

I think I will be looking at the 1080 when I do upgrade, as the 1080TI just seems to be out of my price range for the time being. 

I've been looking at this one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html

or the asus version for an extra £100 if its worth it?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1080-directcu-iii-strix-advanced-gaming-aura-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-gx-409-as.html

But for now, my 970 seems to be okay? 

Any more input would be appreciated, especially around the Dynamic Lighting option?

Thanks!

James Roberts

Go for P3Dv4 with your 970, you will enjoy it no matter what. Just be normal to conservative on your graphics settings and you may be amazed at how good it looks.

6 hours ago, James95 said:

I think I will be looking at the 1080 when I do upgrade, as the 1080TI just seems to be out of my price range for the time being. 

I've been looking at this one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html

I have the GeForce 1080Ti w/11GBs of VRAM and am very happy with it.

I would recommend the GeForce you linked to. I note that it's specs are slightly higher than the more expensive Asus version!

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I second the opinions of others above, v4 will run just fine on your system. I would, personally, hold off on any new potential GPU purchase until Nvidia reveals what they have up their sleeves in terms of new GPUs sometime in April or May. At the very least if you don't want to get the next generation GPUs from them, the 1080Ti will rapidly plummet in price once they've been out for a couple of months, You should be able to snag one for around $350 once everything's stabilized from the new release. Your 970 should hold you over until then :)

• Upvote 1

I have the same CPU and GPU as your setup, and P3Dv4 runs very well on my system.  I'm using high autogen settings with dynamic lighting active, and I achieved that by having two AA profiles depending on the time of day I'm flying.  During the day I run 4xSSAA, and dusk and night flights I go with 2xMSAA.  I also use nVidia Inspector for 2xSSGS and set my frame limit at 27 fps.  You really can utilize all that LM included, just adjust your settings to meet the demands.  

As others have said, your machine is pretty good.  I'm still running an i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz and only upgraded to a 1080Ti from a 980Ti about 6 months ago.  I run my sim on a 55' 4k tv.  The difference with the 1080Ti was noticeable, especially in heady cloud.  As Squire Waddams has mentioned, hold off a bit until prices drop - and get yourself the 1080Ti.  There is nothing more you need to change although I bumped my RAM up to 16GB as well.

Thanks to everyone for their input, really has helped me. 

Going to stick with my 970 for the time being then, and either see what the next generation of graphics cards brings later in the year, or as people suggest pick up a 1080TI when the price drops. 

Thanks again! :biggrin:

James Roberts

Your current spec's look to be ok to run the sim on medium settings, if you were to upgrade anything it would first be the gfx card with more vram and a bit more umpf. Quickly followed by more RAM to incorporate being able to run more/higher res textures, I don't think 8gb will cut it.