Sign in to follow this  
Arz2934

Dial-a-Flap

I tried to do a Flaps 6 takeoff today, as demonstrated in the KATL-KMEM flight posted on YouTube. However, I got a Flaps warning on takeoff, and had to revert to a flaps 11 takeoff. Here is what I did. 

1. Set 6 in the TO Flaps Selection Window
2. Entered 6 in the Take Off Trim Computer 
3. Prior to Taxi, set the flaps to the "0" detent. 

Then on takeoff, the dreaded flaps warning. Did I miss something? 

Thanks, 

2 minutes ago, Arz2934 said:

3. Prior to Taxi, set the flaps to the "0" detent. 

Not the Flaps 0 Detent.  There will be  detent available between 0 and 11 utilizing DAF.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

1 minute ago, thibodba57 said:

Not the Flaps 0 Detent.  There will be  detent available between 0 and 11 utilizing DAF.

So there is another "hidden" detent between 0 and 11? Thanks!

Yes. The DAF system creates a detent within the flap lever mechanism, not visible to the pilots. So if choosing flaps 6, you would select flaps 11. If choosing, say, flaps 17, you would select 28

3 minutes ago, uhntissbaby111 said:

Yes. The DAF system creates a detent within the flap lever mechanism, not visible to the pilots. So if choosing flaps 6, you would select flaps 11. If choosing, say, flaps 17, you would select 28

Interesting. Will give this a shot during my next flight. 

55 minutes ago, uhntissbaby111 said:

1 hour ago, Arz2934 said:

So there is another "hidden" detent between 0 and 11? Thanks!

Actually, the way this works is that there is a moving detent that's tied through a jack screw like mechanism that's connected to the thumb wheel. As you rotate the thumb wheel, this detent moves along the flap handle track. If you were sitting in the seat and looking down inside the flap track, you would see it move as you rotate the thumb wheel. So if you were looking to set flaps 6, you would rotate the thumb wheel to 6. You would then bring the flap handle to the position where 6 would be on the selection marks(near the middle of 0 and 11). As you slide the handle down towards 6, it will fall into the detent once there. Sometimes you have to wiggle the handle back and forth to get it to fall into the detent if things are worn. The big thing is remembering to return the thumb wheel to stow or you will hit the detent as you configure for approach. You then have to lift the handle while the thumb wheel rotates the detent out of the way. It's a round of beer every time you forget to stow the wheel after takeoff. Now for the MaddogX, I'll see if its modeled that way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

Actually, the way this works is that there is a moving detent that's tied through a jack screw like mechanism that's connected to the thumb wheel. As you rotate the thumb wheel, this detent moves along the flap handle track. If you were sitting in the seat and looking down inside the flap track, you would see it move as you rotate the thumb wheel. So if you were looking to set flaps 6, you would rotate the thumb wheel to 6. You would then bring the flap handle to the position where 6 would be on the selection marks(near the middle of 0 and 11). As you slide the handle down towards 6, it will fall into the detent once there. Sometimes you have to wiggle the handle back and forth to get it to fall into the detent if things are worn. The big thing is remembering to return the thumb wheel to stow or you will hit the detent as you configure for approach. You then have to lift the handle while the thumb wheel rotates the detent out of the way. It's a round of beer every time you forget to stow the wheel after takeoff. Now for the MaddogX, I'll see if its modeled that way.

Wow, excellent explanation! Say if I were to set Flaps 6, what would the flaps indicator read? Would it read 5?

So in this simulation is it indeed correct to select flaps 11 on a flaps 6 takeoff and DAF will select 6 instead?  The handle goes right from 0 to 11.

Thanks

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

So in this simulation is it indeed correct to select flaps 11 on a flaps 6 takeoff and DAF will select 6 instead?  The handle goes right from 0 to 11.

Thanks

11 is still it's own separate detent.  The dial a flap selector creates it's own detent in whatever position you have selected.  So to set flap 6, you would select 2 "notches" of flaps.  The first one to extend the slats, the second notch would be 6 (The handle would appear to be halfway between 0 & 11, as this is the detent created by the DAF selector).  The third notch, would go to the permanent 11 detent.  If you selected flaps 14 on the DAF selector, for example, the first notch would be slats extended, the second notch would be the permanent flaps 11 detent, the third notch would be the flaps 14 detent created by the DAF selector.  The fourth notch would then be the permanent flaps 15 detent.  Hope this makes sense.

Ok thanks, I was thinking that the second notch left me at flaps zero...I’ll Try again

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU