Sign in to follow this  
Bina

DHC-2 Beaver: Very, very low FPS

Indeed, I have a relatively old rig with Win7 64-bit and FSXA onboard but I didn't expect that aircraft development has advanced so much... It's not my intention to set up a discussion here comparing your work with the aircraft of other well-known developers out there but hey, 7-8 FPS just on the first launch at an empty Texan airport just to test the birdie (no 3rd party objects, traffic, real-time weather etc.) means just no way for the Beaver for me... Alas!  :(

Even the aircraft with complex systems and VC coupled with 3rd-party addon sceneries and real-time weather that I often fly in FSX are not as resource hungry as the Beaver... And given the age of my machine, my normal FPS indicator rarely drops below 28-29 FPS which is quite OK for me.

My specs in case anyone is interested:

ASUS Rampage II Gene -|- Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.0GHz -|- HP 23" LED Display -|- NVIDIA Geforce GTX285 @ 1.0Gb -|- Creative SB X-Fi Gamer -|- 8.0Gb OCZ DDR3 RAM -|-
Western Digital WD10EADS 1.0Tb HDD @ 7,200rpm -|- Seagate Barracuda 2Tb xHDD @ 7,200rpm -|- Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate -|- FSX Acceleration -|- Saitek X52 Pro -|- TrackIR 5 Pro

Anyone with the same problem? Any advice except "change your rig" (I know that anyway but am not ready to do this now)?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Usually this low frame rates indicate that you are running FSX in compatibility mode (e.g. Windows XP).

While this has been a recommendation many years ago to be able to run some very old add-ons, you should disable this now as it causes a big performance impact with some add-ons.

same experience for me. it's maybe 8-10fps in orbx alaska which is my favorite bush flying spot. further complicated by the bug with the switches not toggling reliably under 15fps. 

i wasn't expecting it would match the 40-50fps i get in the aerosoft one, but i figured it wouldn't be at borderline unflyable levels of slowness either.

the main suggestion i would recommend is to to turn off the GPS except when you need to look at it, as that seems to eat an insane amount of frames for some reason.

but unfortunately i don't think much can be done without an upgrade. hardware wise, i have a similar, older system as you. (3.5Ghz, 1gig video card).. 

and it's not just this plane, i've had similar issues lately with the QW787 and aerosoft CRJ and finally decided just to quit buying addons and save up for a new computer.

strangely, the pmdg stuff is at least marginally flyable on my system, but i think that is partly due to using autopilot for most phases of flight so it's not as noticeable... but also stuff like the T-6 from a2a runs quite well (20-30ish) despite having a much more sophisticated engine model.

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

The specs are clearly posted on the sales sites.  Your system specs are too low.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.