Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Better AA, In-Game vs NVI or NCP?

Guys I am curious what the best method for Anti-Aliasing is in XP in its most recent state. I am currently on 11.20vr3 and have a 1080Ti. I was flying around in the FF A320 and normally run 2x SSAA+FXAA.

However I see people running 4x or even 8x in sim with a 980Ti. I tried going to 4x and my displays looked amazing in the FF A320, however I noticed if I looked in certain parts of the cockpit it would drop to 21-19 or lower. However in outside view the frames are awesome even at 4x

I have a strong system (See Sig) and get great fps in all situations at 2x. 

Im wondering if I make some changes to Nvidia Control Panel or use Nvidia Inspector can I help things out? My native resolution is 3440x1440.

Thanks guys.

• Upvote 1

Nvidia Settings don't do much for XP. You can try to fiddle with settings (anisotropic filtering should be at 16x in NCP for photoscenery), but most settings dont make a difference or yield worse results than default. You can for instance try to enable MFAA, but honestly I didn't see a difference. 4xSSAA is necessary for good image quality I think, but the FF A320 cockpit is indeed very demanding for the GPU. I lowered my texture resolution (from max to high) to make it work (GTX 1070@1920x1080). 8xSSAA could be doable with a lower resolution and looks awesome, but is too much for most setups, I fear.

Edited by domae001

Well here is something odd or rather surprising. I changed the visual effects from Maximum HDR+SSAO to one increment left of HDR.

Then I was able to set my AA to FULL RIGHT and still achieve 30 fps in the VC.

What is surprising is that HDR+SSAO takes such a huge hit. Sure I would love to have it enabled and just run 4xAA but even this was too much on the FPS. Weird, maybe one day? Is this the trade off balance we must accept I wonder?

I prefer the Nvidia settings, nice series of settings to suit the taste of the hobbyist, from low to quite high.  I also do the same in P3D, I used to use Nvidia settings but Austin and Lockheed Martin have got the graphics dialed in now, even on my system with its low VRAM I get beautiful Xplane11 graphics, just posted an example in my Bend to Salem Oregon post in the screenshots forum.  I haven't tried the beta yet, usually shy away from them and let the Xplane experts have a look first.

John

Well, it's the GPU performance triangle: Anti-Aliasing - SSAO - Resolution; you can't have it all, even on a 1080ti. 

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB