Sign in to follow this  
Luis Felipe Pech Pacheco

cloud shadows gone after update to p3d v4.2

hi all  hope someone have the solution, after uptading p3d from v4.1 to v4.2 cloud shadows just vanished, i have checked all for cast and recieve shadows in the sim menu, i had delated shaders, didnt work, i repair client and content and didnt work also, i unistalled and installed clinet and content and no result, i have crated a new prepar3d.cfg and also no cloud shadows...if someone had and solved the same issue pleas let me know!! thanks for your help!!!

It seems i have the same problem

Evangelos Kagklis

QOTS driver

Started simming back in '95 ended up with a full time pilot job..

I also have this issue, have tried a full re-install and it persists. Any help would be appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, bills511 said:

I still have shadows.

Me too.

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

I have rolled back to 4.1 and now i have cloud shadows again

Edited by EKagklis

Evangelos Kagklis

QOTS driver

Started simming back in '95 ended up with a full time pilot job..

In 4.2 goto Options/Lights.  There is a cloud shadow switch.  Turned mine on and got cloud shadows.

Warren

Aware of that Warren, the issue is for people who have that checkbox selected yet still have no cloud shadows present....

10 hours ago, murry94 said:

Aware of that Warren, the issue is for people who have that checkbox selected yet still have no cloud shadows present....

Hmmm...maybe those people fly only with clear skies  :cool: *joke*

If I recall correct (it's been a while) LM made some "optimisation" with 4.2 in regard to DL and cloud shadows. Something like: if you want to see that with no stutters, you will have to coop with no cloud shadows...

There was also something related to the settings....

*EDIT*

"So it appears to already be a known issue. We have an open ticket regarding cloud shadows, currently it seems we made a trade off due to performance limitations with large numbers of clouds.

Regards,
Brady"

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=125862

Edited by GEKtheReaper
  • Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

59 minutes ago, murry94 said:

I found the fix, uninstall/delete URP and your shadows will return. 

Forgive me please for my stupid question, but I have no idea what you mean by URP. What is URP?

Andrew

EDIT: Just found it Ultimate Realism Pack... oddly enough, I had never heard of this before now... I don't have it installed, which may well be why I am not experiencing the issue... there seems to be a problem with cloud shadow generation in general with Version 4.2, with shadows appearing even when the sun is not actually blocked by cloud, or the VC view goes darker suddenly when flying over certain cloud formations...

Edited by aentwis