Sign in to follow this  
jonfo

Carenado S550 Autopilot

Hi all 

I am seeking some general advice and tutoring on the autopilot of the S550. I have installed the GTN 750 into the aircraft. However, I am unsure on the correct usage of the autopilot when it comes to climb and descent. 

Is there a knob in the aircraft that allows you to manually select an altitude to hold or climb to? If so, I can't seem to find that. 

Similarly, once the flight plan is loaded into the GTN, how do you ensure the aircraft meets all of the altitude constraints and top of descent etc.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just really want to get to grips with this aircraft. 

Guest JustanotherPilot

You could try Youtube or Google, there are numerous tutorials, reviews and flights for the 550 that should answer all your questions. The aircraft has been around awhile.

Edited by JustanotherPilot

5 hours ago, jonfo said:

Hi all 

I am seeking some general advice and tutoring on the autopilot of the S550. I have installed the GTN 750 into the aircraft. However, I am unsure on the correct usage of the autopilot when it comes to climb and descent. 

Is there a knob in the aircraft that allows you to manually select an altitude to hold or climb to? If so, I can't seem to find that. 

Similarly, once the flight plan is loaded into the GTN, how do you ensure the aircraft meets all of the altitude constraints and top of descent etc.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just really want to get to grips with this aircraft. 

There is an altitude selector on the main panel. You also want to check out fsmania's excellent 3-part videos on youtube. Unfortunately, he uses the pre-GTN version but just check out other videos from him where he uses other Carenado aircraft with GTN. It will be the same principal.

Mario Di Lauro

16 minutes ago, tamsini said:

There is an altitude selector on the main panel. You also want to check out fsmania's excellent 3-part videos on youtube. Unfortunately, he uses the pre-GTN version but just check out other videos from him where he uses other Carenado aircraft with GTN. It will be the same principal.

OK, that sounds good, I will have a look through his videos.

It just seems as though now, the V/S select button on the AP control panel is non-functional after I installed the GTN750 onto the aircraft. Not sure why the button will not select at all. 

Just watched those videos from FSMania; very useful! 

I have also messaged Bert Pieke requesting his mod for this aircraft. Thanks for the YouTube recommendation tamsini 

28 minutes ago, jonfo said:

Just watched those videos from FSMania; very useful! 

I have also messaged Bert Pieke requesting his mod for this aircraft. Thanks for the YouTube recommendation tamsini 

Do you have the Carenado version with GTN 750 that does not require the mod? Just wondering.

Mario Di Lauro

Just now, tamsini said:

Do you have the Carenado version with GTN 750 that does not require the mod? Just wondering.

I have the Carenado S550 purchased from JustFlight. I purchased the GTN 750 from Flight 1 separately and then used the integration tool. 

Sorry, I wasn't too sure what you meant in your question. Is the mod still required?

4 minutes ago, jonfo said:

I have the Carenado S550 purchased from JustFlight. I purchased the GTN 750 from Flight 1 separately and then used the integration tool. 

Sorry, I wasn't too sure what you meant in your question. Is the mod still required?

My fault - should have been clearer. Check the link from Carenado and you 'll see that this version includes GTN 750 integration so no need for any mod. I was just wondering which version you had.

http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php?accion=product&correl=142

Edited by tamsini

Mario Di Lauro

11 minutes ago, tamsini said:

My fault - should have been clearer. Check the link from Carenado and you 'll see that this version includes GTN 750 integration so no need for any mod. I was just wondering which version you had.

http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php?accion=product&correl=142

I see, I must have the version with GTN integration as mine just slotted in nicely. 

The mod I am looking for from Bert is the one where he moves the Autopilot panel away from the location between the seats and onto the front panel,more on eye level. Is there any specific mods that you can think of that are good for this aircraft?

Actually, no I thought Bert's mod was to fit the GTN! Sorry for the confusion. But I should check this AP mod myself. Thanks for that.

Mario Di Lauro

Greetings,

i have the same question as jonfo.  Can’t figure out how to make the autopilot follow the vertical guidance with the GTN 750 when executing an ILS or GPS approach.  I can us the autopilot to make altitude changes and capture an altitude but a no go on precision approaches.  Watched some of the videos out there but they didn’t help me with configuring the autopilot.

When executing an approach and in GPS Nav mode,  do you leave the autopilot on NAV or change to APR?  What about the ALT function? I would sure appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

cbreeze

On 4/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, cbreeze said:

Greetings,

i have the same question as jonfo.  Can’t figure out how to make the autopilot follow the vertical guidance with the GTN 750 when executing an ILS or GPS approach.  I can us the autopilot to make altitude changes and capture an altitude but a no go on precision approaches.  Watched some of the videos out there but they didn’t help me with configuring the autopilot.

When executing an approach and in GPS Nav mode,  do you leave the autopilot on NAV or change to APR?  What about the ALT function? I would sure appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

cbreeze

Apologies cbreeze, I had not logged in for a while and have only just seen this post from you. 

Did you ever manage to work out your issue? Would be useful to know the result, hopefully you got one. 

I use the Carenado GTN integration and leave the autopilot where they have put it.  Added a popup click spot top left square of the annunciator panel, at eye level instead.

However, I have made some autopilot changes.. ask me for my V4 panel via PM, including your email address.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert