Sign in to follow this  
G550flyer

Dial A Flap and FLEX

So tonight topcat gave me a flap setting of 0...this was at KORD rwy 28R which clocks in at 13,000’.

I assumed this meant a slats only take off, so I set the flaps handle to the 0 detent.  On take off I got a flaps warning.  Googling this i came across a Spanair flight that crashed due to forgetting to set any takeoff flaps.

So did I miss something with this one or is topcat trying to virtually kill me? 😀

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

You can depart 0 flaps, the thing is that you have to ensure you are using the right speeds for that configuration and have the setting set in the takeoff condition computer window next to the CG window on the pedestal. Two crashes resulted from the flaps and slats being retracted. Slats are the big item in an aircraft. They allow the air to continue to stick to the top of the wing at high angle of attack. Without the slats guiding air over the wing, air separates and lift is instantly lost. Flaps wouldn't even help in that situation. So in reality, you shouldn't get a warning as long as the slats are extended and the takeoff condition flap dial represent your current condition. This is how you tell the aircraft the flaps you are using for takeoff. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks again Rick, looking back I didn't set the dial a flap to 0, so that would explain it.  Topcat gave me:

D-TO: +50C

V1: 148

Vr: 169

V2: 173

The aircraft nose was actually pulling up off of the runway before I reached Vr...trim was set correctly (I think...I'm still learning a lot about this aircraft :) )

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 3/14/2018 at 9:05 PM, regis9 said:

Thanks again Rick, looking back I didn't set the dial a flap to 0, so that would explain it.  Topcat gave me:

D-TO: +50C

V1: 148

Vr: 169

V2: 173

The aircraft nose was actually pulling up off of the runway before I reached Vr...trim was set correctly (I think...I'm still learning a lot about this aircraft :) )

That's a little high for 28R.  Use flap 6 and subtract about 10 kts off your speeds.  138 - 159 - 163.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I thought that a Vr of 169 seemed very high.

Dave

Here’s one for 145,000 6R KCLE

06R  Flap 08 Trim 5.6 CG 13.8

V1-146  VR-149 V2-157   Use assumed 41C