Sign in to follow this  
VSP4264

Striking Software download question

On 13/04/2012 at 4:31 AM, EivindS said:

Hi!

FREEWARE:

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/pws.shtml

It includes lots of very nice Caribean islands and more than 30 airports like TNCM - Princess Juliana International Airport, TFFJ - St Barthelemy, SABA - Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, and many, many more. Premium, professional quality. I think this is one of the best freeware gifts to the FSX community and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Yours

Eivind S

Sadly PWS is offline... anyone have a alternative download site?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, VSP4264 said:

Sadly PWS is offline... anyone have a alternative download site?

Spilt your post from a 6 year old topic.

Using google I was not able to find anything as it seems that developer has taking their site offline.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 hours ago, jaristo said:

anyone has the files to share?

thankss!

Sharing amount member is against the rules unless the original author of the software has given explicit written authorization that the files can be redistributed.

11 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Sharing amount member is against the rules unless the original author of the software has given explicit written authorization that the files can be redistributed.

Is this an Avsim rule or something else?

James

3 hours ago, honanhal said:

Is this an Avsim rule or something else?

James

Both Avsim and I’m sure the owner/author/publisher of the original content doesn’t want his property shared without his consent.

The Avsim rule is below:

» Copyright and Intellectual Property: You will not post or otherwise place material on AVSIM, in its library or elsewhere that is protected by copyright or is the intellectual property of another. If you wish to upload or place on AVSIM material copyrighted by someone else, you are required to have their emailed authorization to do so and you must provide that authorization email to AVSIM staff for verification BEFORE you use it within AVSIM. Items such as images that are not made by you, aircraft manuals, images from other sites, etc., are all examples of copyrighted material that you cannot upload or place on AVSIM.

2 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Both Avsim and I’m sure the owner/author/publisher of the original content doesn’t want his property shared without his consent.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that Avsim's rule required explicit written consent in cases where copyright isn't clear. (How do we know this content was copyrighted, or what rules apply to its distribution?) We also have no idea what the intent of the creator is in this case, but I think it's strange that the assumption more broadly is that creators of freeware do not want their content shared. Isn't that directly at odds with what their previous free sharing with the community strongly suggests was their original intent?

Since this generally comes up in the context of software/content that's been abandoned by its creators, it's unlikely they'll ever be in a position to give explicit consent (whether they've died, left software development, or are simply not interested in flightsim anymore), even where they would want the content shared. That's a shame, in my opinion. But of course Avsim has the right to set its own rules.

James

Here is the Legal from one of their downloads provided by the "wayback" archive.

LEGAL:

PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION:
Unless otherwise specified in writing, the software provided herein is for your personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, to create derivative works from in order to transfer and sell any information, software, products or services obtained from the use or review of this software package.

NO UNAUTHORIZED DUPLICATION, MODIFICATION OR REPACKAGING IS PERMITTED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT AND/OR THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR(S) WHO’S WORK IS INCLUDED AND DEFINED HEREIN AND HERETO. AS FREEWARE THIS GAUGE/EFFECT OR ANY OF THE INDIVIDUAL CONTENTS OF THE FILE(S) CANNOT BE REPRODUCED, IN PART OR WHOLE, FOR ANOTHER FREEWARE PACKAGE OR USED IN ANY PACKAGE THAT REQUIRES, SUGGESTS OR PERPETUATES A PURCHASE OR SALE OR ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION OR TRADE.

DISTRIBUTION
Only the websites and/or companies I have given expressed written consent to distribute this effects package are authorized to distribute it as FREEWARE. An authorized distributor falls under the same distribution guidelines as defined above. The end user is authorized to use this package strictly for personal use in conjunction with MS Flight Simulators. Proper acquisition of expressed written consent is required before reusing this effect, in part, in whole or in any other fashion in order to avoid legal issues from unauthorized reproduction and distribution.

DISCLAIMER:
All Microsoft products and the effects code used in the custom designed effects files contained herein are the property of Microsoft Corporation through the terms of the Flight Simulator End User License Agreement and are protected by registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. No intent to defraud or illegally use the Microsoft trademark, its software, code, name or secure any income or compensation from the production of this effects package is expressed or implied with the creation of this effects package and supporting files. Any other company names, names of authors or their work displayed in this package are for reference only. Unless otherwise specified, no connection to them or their products is expressed or implied. The author of this software or the site it was downloaded from is not responsible for any damage that may result from its installation or use.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Here is the Legal from one of their downloads provided by the "wayback" archive.

Charlie, thanks for taking the time to find and post that. I’m on vacation and have been a bit preoccupied.

47 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Well, that’s actually pretty clear then.

I think the main thing is that Avsim doesn’t want to become known as or gain a reputation as some type of forum where people are passing around or distributing files or software without consent of the original owner/author permission. 

A lot of freeware developers have some type of EULA packaged with their downloads via a txt, word doc, or PDF. Even if one can’t be located, it’s usually best to err on the safe side and not distribute the files.

Thanks Bjoern, the archived version downloads still work, couldn't find SHD wave animation for dx9 set 1 larger swell, anywhere. 

December 23rd, 2019

It wasn't straight forward or clear cut.....

But I seem to have managed to download "something" from the links to the files.  Are they the correct files?  Don't know yet.  Are they safe (virus free), your guess is as good as mine.

Inside each zipped file is an EXEcutable called SETUP.exe.

No BGL files.  I'm hesitant to run those exe files especially since ther are no BGL scenery files to be seen.

"Sharing amount member is against the rules unless the original author of the software has given explicit written authorization that the files can be redistributed."

"The Avsim rule is below:

» Copyright and Intellectual Property: You will not post or otherwise place material on AVSIM, in its library or elsewhere that is protected by copyright or is the intellectual property of another. If you wish to upload or place on AVSIM material copyrighted by someone else, you are required to have their emailed authorization to do so and you must provide that authorization email to AVSIM staff for verification BEFORE you use it within AVSIM. Items such as images that are not made by you, aircraft manuals, images from other sites, etc., are all examples of copyrighted material that you cannot upload or place on AVSIM."

From the language, this rule applies to posting or sharing via Avsim servers, other Avsim assets, etc. Avsim can't generally prohibit sharing (e.g. email). Now, the author him/her/itself can provide such prohibitions in a EULA, which Striking appears to have done, but let's not get carried away. 🙂