Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Localizer capture

Can’t say for sure about the Maddog, but if you turn the course selectors in a 737 after Loc capture, the whole aircraft will turn. Not a good idea.

Always set frequency and course selectors to the correct settings for the ILS you fly. Then you don’t need to have this discussion. The Maddog has been a bit late in capturing the localizer and some overshoot has occured, but it adjusts back nicely.

So just do it. SAS443 is probably right in his post.

7 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

but from what I recall what you wrote applies to AUTOLAND, doesn't it

No

It applies to Autoland, ILS and LOC ONLY approaches. The autopilot enters AUTOLAND mode at 1500 radio, this is well after LOC CAP/TRK.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

40 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

No

It applies to Autoland, ILS and LOC ONLY approaches. The autopilot enters AUTOLAND mode at 1500 radio, this is well after LOC CAP/TRK.

I had a check of my documentation and it's not listed that way, but mine is from a different airline.  I have some different manuals coming tomorrow though.

Systems integration wise what you've quoted makes sense given that the Localizer Capture works the same for ILS and Autoland. it's just not in my documentation that way.

Thanks for the input my friend!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:38 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

Below are links to three sequential/short videos my ILS approach yesterday. AIRAC 1802, ILS Info Runway 33L 110.7/330 degrees. I had another Beta Tester do the same and he experienced exactly the same thing.  We are running the same software you are, the only difference is that neither of us have the new FSDT KBOS scenery.

It's certainly your prerogative to put in a ticket, but none of us can replicate your problem in  P3DV4.2, and we'll note that in our response to your ticket. 

I'm still waiting to here from Umberto to check the scenery.

Note: In Video 1 I had an Offset RNAV Selected so that the path to 33L was no obsurded during initial LOC Capture. I changed it to the ILS approach later on. 

Video 1:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nd3fan9vbojv07/Video 1.mov?dl=0

Video 2:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/49py0vqwhueinmc/Video 2.mov?dl=0

Video 3:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7ezjtoo5s7dn6i/Video 3.mov?dl=0

Best wishes.

Video 2, you get the LOC to show up in the third column of the FMA/Autopilot annuciator box.  I can only get LOC to show up (in yellow) in the 2nd column of it.  But not the other. You point at it at the 7 second mark of video two.  

If I hit the ILS button, it will follow the LOC then.  If I hit the LOC button, it does something weird, usually tracks it but left or right of the centre line by a lot. 

Sorry about the terminology. 

I had the same problem, and I discovered that the problem is nav\gps switch, you check this, before use the airplane.

Andrea Deplano

12 minutes ago, muffo said:

I had the same problem, and I discovered that the problem is nav\gps switch, you check this, before use the airplane.

What switch are you referring to please?

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

32 minutes ago, Meekg said:

What switch are you referring to please?

Hi Michele:

I have an open ticket that Davide is handling which may relate to this area.

Rick

• Upvote 1

I said that badly. Load a default aircraft, verify that it is in nav mode and not gps, load the maddog.

• Upvote 2

Andrea Deplano

10 hours ago, cfm56 said:

Video 2, you get the LOC to show up in the third column of the FMA/Autopilot annuciator box.  I can only get LOC to show up (in yellow) in the 2nd column of it.  But not the other. You point at it at the 7 second mark of video two.  

If I hit the ILS button, it will follow the LOC then.  If I hit the LOC button, it does something weird, usually tracks it but left or right of the centre line by a lot. 

Sorry about the terminology. 

Your terminology is fine my friend.  Which Sim are you using?

10 hours ago, cfm56 said:

If I hit the LOC button, it does something weird

Did you verify you were closer than 18 miles to the runway threshold before arming the localizer?  

Thanks!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 hours ago, muffo said:

I said that badly. Load a default aircraft, verify that it is in nav mode and not gps, load the maddog.

Man, I am hoping this is the silver bullet. I was parked at the gate in BOS and I loaded the default Lear and, sure enough, the switch was in GPS. I had just hand flown the approach as the ILS function blew up. So I rolled it to NAV and closed FSX. Reopened and loaded the MADDOG. On the way to MIA to see if it works. Cross our fingers...:)

6 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

Man, I am hoping this is the silver bullet. I was parked at the gate in BOS and I loaded the default Lear and, sure enough, the switch was in GPS. I had just hand flown the approach as the ILS function blew up. So I rolled it to NAV and closed FSX. Reopened and loaded the MADDOG. On the way to MIA to see if it works. Cross our fingers...:)

I'm very skeptical regarding the NAV/GPS switch as it has nothing to due with the Maddog gauges - plus Simconnect wise both gauges are loaded with an aircraft that has them (default aircraft) but the switch / switch position doesn't affect that).

We have always recommended that a default GA aircraft is loaded first, then change to the Maddog (as due other third party aircraft developers), but it doesn't seem to have made it into our documentation!

Some may be able to load straight into the Maddog without first loading into a default GA aircraft either without suffering problems or may not noticing them, but loading into the default GA aircraft first will help to ensure one doesn't have issues.

Dave Hodges

11 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

We have always recommended that a default GA aircraft is loaded first, then change to the Maddog (as due other third party aircraft developers), but it doesn't seem to have made it into our documentation!

Some may be able to load straight into the Maddog without first loading into a default GA aircraft either without suffering problems or may not noticing them, but loading into the default GA aircraft first will help to ensure one doesn't have issues.

Awww Dave...I was in such a happy mood....:)

But that is a good tip on the aircraft. Some add ons recommend loading a safe flight which includes one of the tricycles.

I'll be sure to do as you suggest in the future.

Rick

• Upvote 1

this morning, landing at Tampa, I had the same problem and the plane left for its business. I had forgotten to change the gps in nav, but having enabled a button in the simulator I changed and realigned the plane to the loc landed without problems ..... given that the problem is common we find a permanent solution. For my needs I have solved this way, but maybe for others the problem is not there.

Andrea Deplano

1 hour ago, muffo said:

this morning, landing at Tampa, I had the same problem and the plane left for its business. I had forgotten to change the gps in nav, but having enabled a button in the simulator I changed and realigned the plane to the loc landed without problems ..... given that the problem is common we find a permanent solution. For my needs I have solved this way, but maybe for others the problem is not there.

By the way, your's is the best Flight Sim Avatar I've ever seen!  I love it!

Dave Hodges

1 hour ago, muffo said:

This did it for me!!! Thank you for checking in with this. What a relief. My MIA arrival went well and the ILS mode performed perfectly.

Rick