Sign in to follow this  
eXpress48

Anti Aliasing - Constant Shimmering

Hey Guys,

I read through pretty much every AA Thread, but I couldn't find a solution for my Problem. I'm running P3D 4.2 on a 24" (60 Hertz) Monitor with a 1920x1200 Resolution. No matter which AA Settings I choose, I can't get rid of the Shimmering in the Sim. I'm using a 1080 TI, so I could turn AA up to 8xSSAA which however affects Performance even on this Card.

Those are the current Settings, that I use in P3D and Nvidia Inspector:

7fEQvnb.png

azP7wGa.png

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

SGSS from Transparency Supersampling is well known to reduce shimmering but at a performance cost.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

2 hours ago, n99wb said:

For me 2X SSAA reduces shimmering more than 8X MSAA

+1.

You have antialiasing mode set to "Enhance the application setting" but you haven't set how to enhance it. You have that set to "Application-controlled / Off".

Set both to "Application controlled" so P3D controls all the AA. Then try a lower SSAA setting in P3D as suggested above.

Edited by neumanix

Turn MFAA off, this can cause flickering and degrade the image.

bob

One thing I have found is ticking every “Recieve” option under Shadows / Casting and Recieving drastically reduces shimmering (on my PC).

Go figure...

Mark

I don't think there is a fix for shimmering in P3D which is much worse than it was in FSX - it was the first thing I noticed when I booted up P3D4 for the first time last June..  I have settled on 2XSSAA which is just acceptable during the day but still leaves a lot of shimmering lights at night with a marked fps hit when dynamic lights are enabled.

bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Welcome to Prepar3d V4, where anti-aliasing took a huge step backwards. Turning off HDR helps a bit.

In addition to my last, I also use Envdir/Evntex/Evnshade and with FXAA on in Nvidia settings (not P3D), and those 3 elements (cast/receive, Env products and FXAA on in Nvidia) have virtually eliminated night time shimmering of lights using Orbx FTX Global/Vector.

It is still occasionally shimmery (is that even a word?) at certain angles, but largely it is gone.

I use 8MSAA in Sim with 16x. And lights very small in the Orbx lights configurator.

Finding that combination was months of faffing about.

Edited by mwa05

13 hours ago, mwa05 said:

One thing I have found is ticking every “Recieve” option under Shadows / Casting and Recieving drastically reduces shimmering (on my PC).

Go figure...

Mark

Hmm interesting...

Thomas Derbyshire

Try using DSR X2 (which will replicate a 4K resolution) + MFAA in NVCP, and 4X or 8X MSAA in-sim - almost completely got rid of shimmers for me on my previous monitor.

I now run a 43" 4K panel with just MFAA + 8X MSAA - this performs with the quality of 8X with the performance of 4X.