Sign in to follow this  
Peacemaker

Hold off on NGX purchase until reboot or not?

Hello All,

I am after my next study level Aircraft for v4, having felt i've mastered the Q400.

I am very keen on the NGX however if it is being rebooted to V3, I am assuming once released I will need to purchase again?

Also considering the Maddog and to a lessor extent the TFDI 717.

Any input or speculation regarding the NGX reboot will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

James Archbold.

It is nothing more than a speculation, but if I should specualate we have some month to go till there.

So, in my opinion enough time to learn an other addon to fly ... you should consider the maddog, or - if you need sth more different - the A2A Constellation

Edited by guenseli
  • Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31 minutes ago, Peacemaker said:

Hello All,

I am after my next study level Aircraft for v4, having felt i've mastered the Q400.

I am very keen on the NGX however if it is being rebooted to V3, I am assuming once released I will need to purchase again?

Also considering the Maddog and to a lessor extent the TFDI 717.

Any input or speculation regarding the NGX reboot will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

James Archbold.

Mastered the Q400? Is that even possible? :biggrin:

On a serious note - the current NGX is my favorite plane to fly. It's amazing, if you ask me and well worth the money. It all depends on how set you are on the 737 itself... there are other deeply simulated addons, out there - but to just 'wait' for the NGXv3... well, to be honest, I think it's gonna be a long wait. No offense, PMDG.

Personally I doubt we'll see the NGXv3 on this side of 2020... But that's just me being my usual pessimistic (I call it realistic :biggrin:) view... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

You’ll be waiting for quite some time for PMDG’s next project as PMDG don’t do things by halves.

They are in the process of making the 747-8 i/F which is yet to be released, and then it’ll be whatever else they decide to build AFTER that.

The existing PMDG 737NGX is very usable and nothing to be sneezed at... take it from someone who works with the real one. I recommend it.

You can decide on any future releases as it happens which I’d speculate as not being any time soon enough to feel that you might’ve made the wrong decision.

In the end, it’s your call. As an added bonus - you get Boeing master copies of the FCOM, FCTM and QRH. These manuals are what real pilots use and sim planes don’t usually come with them. They add to immersion.

Brian Nellis

Thank you all for your replies.

Pmdg produce great products (dc-6 owner.) No point waiting while I can enjoy them now.

Your input has provided valuable insights and helped me make up my mind.

Regards,

James Archbold.

• Upvote 1

Yea I’d get the 737 now. It’s still my favorite plane to fly after all of these years. 

Orman

Hi James,

Just go get the current 737 offering.  You'll be glad you did.

Mark Trainer

Mark, and Orman, are correct, get it now, why wait?   She is a beauty!

Jerry Friz

Hi,

We already know from Robert's posts that next PMDG project after 748 will be 737 MAX. I flew all PMDG planes, current 737 is very good. Would I wait for MAX? Don't know. Some plus and minuses:

- Economically speaking You probably need to buy 737 MAX again for full price (PMDG do not discount to current customers) unless it will be sold as add-on to current NGX. Would be nice to have Robert's confirmation on that before You decide anything.

- Timeline for MAX is unknown and I do not expect anything less then 1 year from now especially if they start working on some new X-Plane project too.

+ 737 NG and 737 MAX have the same type rating, so they are very close in terms of flows and procedures. From that perspective You don't loose much flying current NGX. LOT Polish airlines fly both (NG and MAX), so I can ask my collogues on differences if You wish.

+ NGX is last "manual" Boeing plane. Even old 744 / 777 (not to mention new 787/ 748) are much more automated. 737MAX is somewhere between NGX and 744 / 777 (in order to maintain common type rating). From that perspective NGX will be more fun to fly.

...of course...

There is always XP11 with FF A320, FF B757 and freeware ZIBO B738. XP11 platform is all together much cheaper (lots of high quality freeware) and more fun to fly then FSX/P3D (better aerodynamics simulation).
Just something new to try.

Edited by Wojciech Wolny

Wojciech, one thing to consider is that Robert said of the EFB functionality:

It is unlikely we will make it available in NGX, since that product will be updated to NG3

This, to me, suggests that the NGX will be given an overhaul to the current 747 standards (maybe some graphics improvements, service vehicles?, maybe systems improvements but I'm not sure what would be added here as it's already very complete, plus some extra bits like the new fuel switches, LED landing lights, scimitar winglet option?), and I would guess that the MAX would be available as an expansion pack to the base NG3 pack. Not to mention, I think people would start calling for the ER models too as they were expected in the original NGX project.

So, perhaps we'll see:

• NG3 release is -800/-900, with the -600/-700/ERs as expansion 1, and MAX as expansion 2, OR
  • NG3 release is -600/-700/-800/-900/ERs with MAX as expansion 1. --This could be wishful thinking though...

I think, with Robert's quote, it's fair to wait until the next announcement which could include some NG3 news before buying, and I say this as a person also wanting to repurchase for P3Dv4 as my NGX is currently stuck inside FSX (as well as my 777).

Edited by squerble

Brian is spot on.  The 737 is damn good.  I still think it's got the best-looking VC of all the PMDG planes.  They really got the textures.

There is nobody on the beta team expecting to start with the NG3 any sooner than late this year.  I think it is a safe bet to purchase NGX now, as long as you understand it will be updated significantly in a year or so.  Just my opinion, I've got no inside info to base this on (beta doesn't get read into a program until beta starts).

Dan Downs KCRP

On 27/02/2018 at 2:27 PM, Wojciech Wolny said:

Hi,

We already know from Robert's posts that next PMDG project after 748 will be 737 MAX. I flew all PMDG planes, current 737 is very good. Would I wait for MAX? Don't know. Some plus and minuses:

- Economically speaking You probably need to buy 737 MAX again for full price (PMDG do not discount to current customers) unless it will be sold as add-on to current NGX. Would be nice to have Robert's confirmation on that before You decide anything.

- Timeline for MAX is unknown and I do not expect anything less then 1 year from now especially if they start working on some new X-Plane project too.

+ 737 NG and 737 MAX have the same type rating, so they are very close in terms of flows and procedures. From that perspective You don't loose much flying current NGX. LOT Polish airlines fly both (NG and MAX), so I can ask my collogues on differences if You wish.

+ NGX is last "manual" Boeing plane. Even old 744 / 777 (not to mention new 787/ 748) are much more automated. 737MAX is somewhere between NGX and 744 / 777 (in order to maintain common type rating). From that perspective NGX will be more fun to fly.

...of course...

There is always XP11 with FF A320, FF B757 and freeware ZIBO B738. XP11 platform is all together much cheaper (lots of high quality freeware) and more fun to fly then FSX/P3D (better aerodynamics simulation).
Just something new to try.

Yes. The MAXis coming, also there are a bunch of tech upgrades that have been developed since the original NGX (like with the 747X). Not sure what they decided, but the choice was to either retrofit the NGX with the new tech or redo it from scratch like the 747v3. 

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg