Sign in to follow this  
Philipei

Beechcraft Baron

Phillip,

It seems that MS/LM used a weird way to simulate crossfeed. Instead of using the actual crossfeed commands (which are not supplied at all by FSUIPC) they actually used "ALL" tanks. If one thinks about it, the command ("ALL") does work logically because there are only 2 tanks.

<!-- THE STOCK CLICKSPOT -->

<Area Left="32" Right="108" Top="178" Bottom="246">
            <Help ID="HELPID_GAUGE_FUEL_SELECTOR" />
            <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_LEFT_FUEL_SELECTOR" />
            <Area Left="0" Right="28" Top="20" Bottom="52">
                <Cursor Type="Hand" />
                <Click Event="FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF" />
            </Area>
            <Area Left="28" Right="56" Top="2" Bottom="20">
                <Cursor Type="Hand" />
                <Click Event="FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL" />        <!-- HERE IS YOUR CROSSFEED COMMAND -->
            </Area>
            <Area Left="56" Right="84" Top="20" Bottom="52">
                <Cursor Type="Hand" />
                <Click Event="FUEL_SELECTOR_RIGHT" />
            </Area>
        </Area>

<!-- THE STOCK DISPLAY CODE -->

<Macro Name="FuelTankSelector">(A:Fuel tank selector:@1,enum) sp0 l0 0(*off*) == if{ 0 quit } l0 @2(*opposite*) == if{ 2 quit } 1</Macro>

With this in mind and to show the proper response in the aircraft use the FSUIPC (or possibly P3d?) commands - FUEL SELECTOR ALL & FUEL SELECTOR 2 ALL

RE: Fuel Pump Switches
1) There are only 2 states of fuel pumps in FS, On or Off - The Baron just visually simulates the HI & LO settings with the global On/Off

<Click>(A:General eng1 fuel pump switch,bool) if{ (G:Var1) if{  0 (>K:TOGGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1) } els{ 1 (>G:Var1) } } els{ 0 (>G:Var1) 0 (>K:TOGGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1) }</Click>

<!-- THE STOCK DISPLAY -->

<Value>(A:General eng1 fuel pump switch,bool) 0 != d (G:Var1) ! * +</Value>

2) (G:Vars) used in the code are available only to the gauge itself whereas if they used (L:Vars) they would be global throughout the panel and able to be detected by FSUIPC.

With that in mind you would have to do the following to have a button controlled simulation of the OFF / LO / HI settings of the fuel pumps -
1) Rewrite both fuel pump gauges replacing the G:Vars with differently named L:Vars, then call the new gauges in the panel.cfg.  Make sure they work - then
2) Write 1 or 2 .Lua's (or .MCRO's) to allow FSUIPC to interface with the L:Vars in the new gauges. 

Not so easy, but possible.

• Upvote 1

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

On 2/28/2018 at 2:15 PM, onebob said:

Thanks for getting back, Just had another go,

this what it ends up in the fsuipc5.ini file :-

[Keys]
9=73,8,65957,0  -{I: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_LEFT }-
11=79,8,66519,0  -{O: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_2_RIGHT }-
13=73,9,65955,0  -{shft+I: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF }-
15=79,9,66516,0  -{shft+O: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_2_OFF }-

not sorted cross feed out yet

I moves left tank to on

o moves right tank to on

shift I turns fuel off in left tank

shift o turns fuel off in right tank.

just a thought are you confirming the selection.

haven't got back to re-assigning the controls in fsuipc5 yet. but thanks for the elevator info on the baron.

bob

Hi Bob,

I went through your settings and that’s the solution ! Well done, and thanks. I used a different combination of keys to yours simply to keep on/off for each tank together on my keyboard. This is how it looks in the fsuipc5.ini file:

59=73,8,65957,0           -{I: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_LEFT }-

61=79,8,65955,0           -{O: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF }-

63=65,8,66519,0           -{A: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_2_RIGHT }-

65=83,8,66516,0           -{S: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_2_OFF }-

I confirmed it by starting and running the B58 from D&C, selecting one engine at a time. The selector taps move to ON and the engines will start. If I turn the tap(s) off the engine(s) stop, as one might expect, although not the POH way of shutting down!  

Part of my  confusion was in reading “LEFT”  and “RIGHT” as referring to “Anticlockwise” and “Clockwise” movement of the selectors. In fact it appears to be the case that FUEL_SELECTOR_LEFT means “Left Hand Tank Selector ON” and “SELECTOR_2_RIGHT” means “Right Hand Tank Selector ON”.

But the plot thickens. Did you read spokes2112’s post on this thread that follows our last exchange? I tried his suggestions out too - the  fuel selector CROSSFEED section - and came up with some interesting results which if you have the time you might read in my reply to spokes.

The upshot of it all is that due to your (and spokes) input I now have the selectors fully mapped and operational. And in reading your suggestions I have learned quite a bit and am more inclined to delve more deeply into the coding aspect of this intriguing hobby than I was before.

At the risk of becoming a pest I would like to put one more question to you. It relates to the use of multiple keyboards, which I used successfully in FSXSE, but am having problems with in P3Dv4. If you prefer I could open a new thread on this but if you are open to it I will put the issue together as concisely as possible and post it here.

Thanks for the time and the education.

Philip

16 hours ago, spokes2112 said:

Phillip,

It seems that MS/LM used a weird way to simulate crossfeed. Instead of using the actual crossfeed commands (which are not supplied at all by FSUIPC) they actually used "ALL" tanks. If one thinks about it, the command ("ALL") does work logically because there are only 2 tanks.

<Area Left="32" Right="108" Top="178" Bottom="246">
            <Help ID="HELPID_GAUGE_FUEL_SELECTOR" />
            <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_LEFT_FUEL_SELECTOR" />
            <Area Left="0" Right="28" Top="20" Bottom="52">
                <Cursor Type="Hand" />
                <Click Event="FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF" />
            </Area>
            <Area Left="28" Right="56" Top="2" Bottom="20">
                <Cursor Type="Hand" />
                <Click Event="FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL" />        <!-- HERE IS YOUR CROSSFEED COMMAND -->
            </Area>
            <Area Left="56" Right="84" Top="20" Bottom="52">
                <Cursor Type="Hand" />
                <Click Event="FUEL_SELECTOR_RIGHT" />
            </Area>
        </Area>

<!-- THE STOCK DISPLAY CODE -->

<Macro Name="FuelTankSelector">(A:Fuel tank selector:@1,enum) sp0 l0 0(*off*) == if{ 0 quit } l0 @2(*opposite*) == if{ 2 quit } 1</Macro>

With this in mind and to show the proper response in the aircraft use the FSUIPC (or possibly P3d?) commands - FUEL SELECTOR ALL & FUEL SELECTOR 2 ALL

RE: Fuel Pump Switches
1) There are only 2 states of fuel pumps in FS, On or Off - The Baron just visually simulates the HI & LO settings with the global On/Off

<Click>(A:General eng1 fuel pump switch,bool) if{ (G:Var1) if{  0 (>K:TOGGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1) } els{ 1 (>G:Var1) } } els{ 0 (>G:Var1) 0 (>K:TOGGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1) }</Click>

<!-- THE STOCK DISPLAY -->

<Value>(A:General eng1 fuel pump switch,bool) 0 != d (G:Var1) ! * +</Value>

2) (G:Vars) used in the code are available only to the gauge itself whereas if they used (L:Vars) they would be global throughout the panel and able to be detected by FSUIPC.

With that in mind you would have to do the following to have a button controlled simulation of the OFF / LO / HI settings of the fuel pumps -
1) Rewrite both fuel pump gauges replacing the G:Vars with differently named L:Vars, then call the new gauges in the panel.cfg.  Make sure they work - then
2) Write 1 or 2 .Lua's (or .MCRO's) to allow FSUIPC to interface with the L:Vars in the new gauges. 

Not so easy, but possible.

Hi Spokes,

Thanks for all that. Very interesting. I had just mapped the selectors again for ON and OFF  along the lines Bob suggested earlier in this thread and things worked fine. With his settings the selectors turn from OFF to ON, and from ON to OFF, and the engines will start when the selectors are ON and keep running, unlike before. I had abandoned Crossfeed setting until your post.

So I tried the settings you suggested and the fsuipc5.ini file looked like this:

4=72,11,65883,0           -{ctl+shft+H: Press=KOHLSMAN_INC }-

6=76,11,65884,0           -{ctl+shft+L: Press=KOHLSMAN_DEC }-

8=83,11,66531,0           -{ctl+shft+S: Press=ENGINE_AUTO_SHUTDOWN }-

10=66,11,65858,0         -{ctl+shft+B: Press=PITOT_HEAT_TOGGLE }-

13=70,11,66237,0         -{ctl+shft+F: Press=FUEL_PUMP }-

21=N68,8,66126,0        -{D: Press=MAGNETO1_DECR }-

23=70,8,66127,0           -{F: Press=MAGNETO1_INCR }-

26=71,8,66128,0           -{G: Press=MAGNETO2_DECR }-

28=72,8,66129,0           -{H: Press=MAGNETO2_INCR }-

47=85,8,65956,0           -{U: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL }-

51=113,8,66239,0         -{F2: Press=TOGGLE_BEACON_LIGHTS }-

53=116,8,65751,0         -{F5: Press=LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE }-

54=115,8,66240,0         -{F4: Press=TOGGLE_TAXI_LIGHTS }-

57=114,8,66379,0         -{F3: Press=TOGGLE_NAV_LIGHTS }-

71=87,8,66517,0           -{W: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_2_ALL }-

The keys I,O, are Left Tank Selector ON and OFF, and the keys A,S are  Right Tank Selector ON and OFF. They work perfectly.

U and W above are the keys mapped as you suggest to effect CROSSFEED. When I try this out with the selectors already in the ON position, nothing happens. When I try them with the selectors in the OFF position they turn the left hand and right hand selectors to the ON position, duplicating keys I and A.

I thought perhaps this was because the previous mapping of keys I,O,A and S was causing some type of conflict with your suggested settings, and perhaps that is the case.

Before abandoning the CROSSFEED possibility altogether, and bolstered by the fact that ON / OFF was now definitely mapped and working, I tried some other possibilities.

Going back to my original understanding of the meaning of LEFT and RIGHT in the FSUIPC fuel selector options as meaning “anticlockwise” and “clockwise” and  SELECTOR meaning Tank 1 and SELECTOR_2 meaning tank 2, etc, I tried for Tank 1 Selector, Crossfeed option FUEL_SELECTOR_RIGHT, on the basis that that means it might turn the selector tap to the right, i.e. clockwise. Amazingly enough, it works. Not only does it turn the selector to CROSSFEED from ON, but it will turn the selector to CROSSFEED from OFF, which is a full 180 deg clockwise turn, moving straight through the 90 deg turn needed to reach ON. So it seems to mean “turn the selector for tank 1 fully to the right”, which is in effect to CROSSFEED. More important, the engine will function using these settings. Starting from D&C it will start in ON or it will start in CROSSFEED and I can switch the selector from ON to CROSSFEED and back while the engine is running without any problems. The same applies to the right hand engine but this time using the key W mapped to FUEL_SELECTOR_2_LEFT, which turns the left hand selector, anticlockwise (or left)  from OFF or ON to its fully to-the-left CROSSFEED position.

Mapped like this and all working perfectly that section of the  file looks like this:

Keys.BB58]

4=72,11,65883,0           -{ctl+shft+H: Press=KOHLSMAN_INC }-

6=76,11,65884,0           -{ctl+shft+L: Press=KOHLSMAN_DEC }-

8=83,11,66531,0           -{ctl+shft+S: Press=ENGINE_AUTO_SHUTDOWN }-

10=66,11,65858,0         -{ctl+shft+B: Press=PITOT_HEAT_TOGGLE }-

13=70,11,66237,0         -{ctl+shft+F: Press=FUEL_PUMP }-

21=N68,8,66126,0        -{D: Press=MAGNETO1_DECR }-

23=70,8,66127,0           -{F: Press=MAGNETO1_INCR }-

26=71,8,66128,0           -{G: Press=MAGNETO2_DECR }-

28=72,8,66129,0           -{H: Press=MAGNETO2_INCR }-

47=85,8,65958,0           -{U: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_RIGHT }-

51=113,8,66239,0         -{F2: Press=TOGGLE_BEACON_LIGHTS }-

53=116,8,65751,0         -{F5: Press=LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE }-

54=115,8,66240,0         -{F4: Press=TOGGLE_TAXI_LIGHTS }-

57=114,8,66379,0         -{F3: Press=TOGGLE_NAV_LIGHTS }-

71=87,8,66518,0           -{W: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_2_LEFT }-

The puzzle remains: why does key A above turn the right hand selector to ON from wherever it is, (either OFF or CROSSFEED), which requires anticlockwise and clockwise movements respectively,  while a very similarly structured command, key W, will only turn the selector fully to the left, or anticlockwise. One could say why does it matter if it works? But curiosity is hard to ignore.

I am very grateful to Bob and yourself for taking the time to get me to this point, where things are working perfectly, but I would like to know why the logic above seems so inconsistent. No doubt I am missing something obvious.

Regarding the Fuel pump HI LO settings; that is getting into areas way beyond my pay grade. I find it very interesting and I do hope to learn more about it as time permits.

Thanks very much for the input. I have another question that I need an answer to which I may post here or start a new topic. I am hoping that Bob and yourself might have a look at it because you guys obviously know what you are talking about.

Philip

2 hours ago, Philipei said:

47=85,8,65958,0           -{U: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_RIGHT }-

Seems logical. If it works, well, it works ... Good deal.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

6 hours ago, Philipei said:

At the risk of becoming a pest I would like to put one more question to you. It relates to the use of multiple keyboards, which I used successfully in FSXSE, but am having problems with in P3Dv4. If you prefer I could open a new thread on this but if you are open to it I will put the issue together as concisely as possible and post it here.

Philip, better if you start a new thread on this subject.

6 hours ago, Philipei said:

The puzzle remains: why does key A above turn the right hand selector to ON from wherever it is,

The A key is normally used for/to cycle the VC views, so it may have something to do with that.

I also tried Spokes2112 suggestion using the 'All' call but didn't get it to work.

bob

1 hour ago, onebob said:

Philip, better if you start a new thread on this subject.

The A key is normally used for/to cycle the VC views, so it may have something to do with that.

I also tried Spokes2112 suggestion using the 'All' call but didn't get it to work.

bob

Yes, but I deleted that function from A in P3D before reassigning it in FSUIPC.  Anyway, it works and I'm using it. 

These ones work for CROSSFEED.

47=85,8,65958,0           -{U: Press=FUEL_SELECTOR_RIGHT }--

Thanks again Bob,

Over and out.

Philip.