Sign in to follow this  
phlix

fsaerodata.com vs aero.sors.fr

After using aero.sors I switched to fsaerodata because it provided updates to all approaches, including GPS, etc., as well as updating runway designators. It also seemed to have a more complete update of intersections. It has been well worth the price for me.

Jesse

P.S. I don't think aero.sors provides airspace updates either, but that is included with fsaerodata. I don't remember for sure but fsaerodata may be the only one of the two that provides SIDs and STARs. ??

Edited by JesC
  • Upvote 1

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

The utilities by Hers Sors are free and contribute much to the world of simulation.  The FSAerodata product is payware, and you pay and pay and pay.  If you are using FMS based aircraft then the Hers Sors utilities are perfect for fixing the occasional glitch such as VOR frequency changes, and a separate subscription based service provides your navdata for the FMS.  If you are flying GA aircraft with default or addon GPS then the FSAerodata route makes more sense.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok thank you.

Oh, and downscc, you mention addon GPS that uses up-to-date navdata? I am currently looking for GPS addons and my conclusion is somehow that you can either go with the old FS9 GPS and have updated data, or you can go RealityXP or F1 GPS and have nav data from 2009 and obscure/illegal/expensive/undocumented ways to get these up-to-date. So.. are there really GPS addons that are 'better' than the default GPS and use the navdata from fsaerodata/navigraph?

If your absolute goal is up to date data every cycle - default gps with FSAerodata is the only way to go.  Unfortunately the default gps is clunky and doesn't have all the features like the GNS or GTNs do.

There are plenty of expired navdata around for both units.

the only way to get 100% current data for use in the GNS and GTNs is to buy their extremely expensive  real world data the pilots use.

the above is all for GA.  You can buy pmdg or any big airliner with FMS and have navigraph data

just a heads up, with FSAerodata I think you also need a navigraph subscription if you want 100% up to date data

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, JesC said:

After using aero.sors I switched to fsaerodata because it provided updates to all approaches, including GPS, etc., as well as updating runway designators. It also seemed to have a more complete update of intersections. It has been well worth the price for me.

Jesse

P.S. I don't think aero.sors provides airspace updates either, but that is included with fsaerodata. I don't remember for sure but fsaerodata may be the only one of the two that provides SIDs and STARs. ??

Those points are all correct.  As an aside, if one is stuck with the two Garmin GTN gauges and their AIRAC 1611, fsaerodata provides that legacy AIRAC as an optional download, so that everything stays in sync with the GTN.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Those points are all correct.  As an aside, if one is stuck with the two Garmin GTN gauges and their AIRAC 1611, fsaerodata provides that legacy AIRAC as an optional download, so that everything stays in sync with the GTN.

This is a great point!

Honestly I myself get a bit confused over what is what.  It appears the aerodata provides a more complete package.... ILS's/VOR/NDB/fixes, SIDS/STARS, terminal IAP's, and updated every cycle.

I think if your runway is plainly wrong and needs an update there's still nothing to change that except amend it in ADEX.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

33 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I think if your runway is plainly wrong and needs an update there's still nothing to change that except amend it in ADEX.

Based on my experience, fsaerodata will change the runway numbers at default and simple "afcad" style airports. I don't think it will touch your add on airports but I would imagine you would have added those because they already reflect the changes.It will not add runways or move airports...  yet.

Jesse

Jesse Cochran

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Oh really?  That's great - I will definitely check it out!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

2 hours ago, JesC said:

Based on my experience, fsaerodata will change the runway numbers at default and simple "afcad" style airports. I don't think it will touch your add on airports but I would imagine you would have added those because they already reflect the changes.It will not add runways or move airports...  yet.

Jesse

What do you mean by change runway numbers? Does the number on the actual runway and or signs change? That seems hard to believe...

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What do you mean by change runway numbers? Does the number on the actual runway and or signs change? That seems hard to believe...

No, it just changes them on all ATC communications. The labeling would still need to be changed in ADE. However, the developer of fsaerodata recently announced his intention to provide updated airport files also, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that add-on. The last person to do that en masse was Burkhard Renk who updated 1000s of stock airports in P3d for My Traffic 6. Of course, many of those are now out of date.

It's not a big chore to update  an airport with ADE. I've done about 120 of the biggest NA airports for personal use, minus the payware ones that I already had purchased. Even those payware airports go out of date and some developers aren't that keen on updating things like taxiway numbers, runway numbers and gate airline codes.

I normally use Soros, but did try fsaerodata.  For me, Soros was just fine since I have a navdata subscription.  

I certainly would not be comfortable with a program coming in an making changes to all my default airports, but that's just me.  

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

53 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Runway number: YES

Signs: No

Jesse

EDIT: BTW I have confirmed that in my sim.

Edited by JesC

Jesse Cochran

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I have done this as well as load it into Little Navmap so now P3D, Gtn 750 and Little Navmap are all sync’d.

Is there a way to load AIRAC 1611 into my PMDG aircraft so I can have it sync’d with LNM as well? Navigraph will only load the most current I think which in my system was 1708 can I get Navigraph to use the 1611 file I have and if so how?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

The freeware mentioned above will also do that for you, at default airports  :happy:

Bert