Sign in to follow this  
torium

Live Stream - Jordan King (28th February)

I will be there watching. 

But to be fair, I would like to see a stream with the devs, with more news about what we should expect in the next updates and when they would probably come. Not saying Jordan Kind's stream won't be good, but on the actual state of the sim, I'm more curious about the development than seeing someone flying with FSW.

P.S.: Not trying to be annoying, I know developing a sim takes time. Just saying what I'm more curious about right now. Not saying DTG should be deploying a new update every week, but I would like to hear more about how things are going on development side. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 3

I am also anxious to know what’s next.

However, being a developer and working in the field for almost 2 decades, I can certainly understand the long periods of silence.

A Dev can be trying something new that just is not working (performance issues, clashes with existing features that require a total revamp of such feature etc.), so why announce something that may not happen and then have to deal with the backlash when you can’t deliver, or can’t deliver in certain time frame?

Then there is scaling down the original scope of features do to the above and other reasons. So again, keeping quiet about these things is the proper thing to do before knowing if it is really going to work, and work well.

Not to mention the time it takes implement and improve upon features (like TrueSky) that you have announced and released.

As I said before, DTG is teaching a very old dog new tricks. Its not just a matter of making Rover…roll over. Its making Rover do backwards flips while catching a Frisbee in his mouth and then landing on one paw. That’s gonna take some time.

• Upvote 3

To be fair, until recently, DTG was providing updates every 2 weeks.  Name another developer who did that for a year.  I can't think of one. 

1 hour ago, theohall65 said:

To be fair, until recently, DTG was providing updates every 2 weeks.  Name another developer who did that for a year.  I can't think of one. 

I won't argue with that. I'm just anxious because some features are stopping me to use it more.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with waiting for some features to use it more.

Really want FSEconomy to get on board or some other 3rd party to provide something similar (like Air Hauler) for FSW.  I don't expect to see that from DTG, because they are working on other things with that really small team.

• Upvote 1

The lighting issue makes me feel that we've been stuck in foggy weather for 6 months, and can't wait for the sun to come out with all of its blue sky and wonderful colors.

Edited by flyforever
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theohall65 said:

Totally agree with waiting for some features to use it more.

Really want FSEconomy to get on board or some other 3rd party to provide something similar (like Air Hauler) for FSW.  I don't expect to see that from DTG, because they are working on other things with that really small team.

Not similar but another developer got on board with FSW. Position Games now has FSX Follow, FSX Live and FSX Cockpits available for FSW (also for P3d).

James

I'm also waiting to some more features/add-ons to try to migrate definitely from P3D.. FSW has so much potential and I want to spend more time in it, but it's hard to let go of some features/add-ons.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, flyforever said:

The lighting issue makes me feel that we've been stuck in foggy weather for 6 months, and can't wait for the sun to come out with all of its blue sky and wonderful colors.

I agree!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

On 2/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, Phantoms said:

Not similar but another developer got on board with FSW. Position Games now has FSX Follow, FSX Live and FSX Cockpits available for FSW (also for P3d).

It's a shame they don't support Android devices.

I think it is great that Dovetail are continuously updating FSW but the length of time it is taking concerns me. At this rate the product will be dead before it even gets going which would be a shame. With not a single jet, no live weather, unfinished scenery, and considerable associated bugs, they have a long way to go before they can call it a fully fledged base package (which it needs to be to compete).

I am big fan of what Dovetail plan to achieve and think Trusky has so much potential but in my opinion, it would have been better to have achieved some of these things before early access and certainly before release. Hopefully they provide some serious updates soon.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

I think it is great that Dovetail are continuously updating FSW but the length of time it is taking concerns me. At this rate the product will be dead before it even gets going which would be a shame. With not a single jet, no live weather, unfinished scenery, and considerable associated bugs, they have a long way to go before they can call it a fully fledged base package (which it needs to be to compete).

I am big fan of what Dovetail plan to achieve and think Trusky has so much potential but in my opinion, it would have been better to have achieved some of these things before early access and certainly before release. Hopefully they provide some serious updates soon.

Each sim will have its strong points and weaknesses compared to the next. The shortfalls that you mention can be offset by the missions, user friendly approach etc that will appeal to someone who doesn't require jets or live weather.

There is a long laundry list of what a sim needs, but DTG is focusing on some basic features that set it apart from the competition, and that's the best way to compete IMO.

This market is not just a matter of getting P3D or XP, many simmers have them both. I think that DTG can get a good portion of long standing simmers to add FSW to their collection, and also get the newbie / casual simmer that doesn't immediately demand the more detailed features that will eventually come to the platform.

• Upvote 1

I like what he had to say. I've been simming since the Sublogic days so I have no concerns at all over a time schedule. I'll probably keep doing it, so I'd love to see a sim that continues to evolve over a long period time. I'd love to see it further along right now, but I'm glad that they are taking their time and want to do it right instead of doing it fast. 

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440