Sign in to follow this  
ibnking

Maddog & MD Rotate worth?

Hi here,

As the promotion for the Maddog finishes tommorrow, I hesitate to Buy it. I 've already the MD Rotate on xplane.

Do you know if there is a big difference in term of systems simulation? I know the Maddog has indivual FMC but it's not a big deal for me.

Thanks.

Regards,

Hi!

I have both! I even have the ATS MD80 which breafly was available on the org. A shame they never finished it properly - it has so much potential!

Both the Rotate and the Maddog are great! They both have their pros and cons.

Rotate:

Beatiful 3d modelling on the outside. A wash of brilliant detailed liveries.
A good load manager. (new in 1.4)
VC Graphics are great, though a bit too "cartoonish" for my taste.
Sounds are not great - to be kind.
Systems: As far as I can tell, they are all there, and some of the 80s quircks as well.
Flight controls seem a bit to jiggly, but you can tune these with a seperate profile for your joystick/yoke/pedals, to be a bit more sluggish, as I reckon they are in real life.

Maddog:

Beautiful modelling both inside and out. It perhaps looks a bit more like the real MD80, judging from pictures, and a childhood memory of visiting the cockpit of a Spanair 83 in 1994. VC Textures look a bit washed out color/contrast vise to my liking, but that is nitpicking.

The 2D McDU is probably lifted from the old Maddog 2010/2008 - it's really low quality, compared with the rest. Willl probably change soon!

Sounds are not great. 95% of the sounds are probably from the old model - they are really low quality.

The quirks and failures you can trigger by not handling it as per the manual are really challenging!Example: If you don't turn on the fuel heat in a long cruise, and neglect the warning panel, the engines will flame out!

The Maddog is a "new" release, and will probably get even better - the Rotate looks like it has had it's prime - the developer is more focused on the MD11 project. That said - they still update it.

----------------

I like both very much, and can't really choose between them! I love handflying in X-Plane - it feels so much more immersive somehow - the plane reacts in a way that is more in tune with what I would expect it to do, without having too much real life experience. That is more down to the sim core than these plugins to be honest.

Tough choice choosing between them!

Good luck!

I also have both and I’m inclined to say I prefer the Rotate,  but more because of the reasons Kristoffer mentioned. Hand flying in XP is generally much more rewarding. I also believe the Rotate looks and sounds better. As far as systems goes, besides the second FMC issue that you mentioned, I cannot notice significant differences between them. Perhaps just some AT issues that I had with the Rotate are worth mentioning. I have reported it and the devolver stated a fix is underway. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thank you both, I think I will stay with the Rotate  and I still have a lot to learn on this plane.... 

In my opinion, Maddog.

But it really depends on your sim preferences, XP or P3D.

If sim is not a problem for you, Maddog was and will be a reference.

You only have to look at both nose to nose, front view and compare with real pictures. Rotate's nose is far from reality.

Regarding sounds, Maddog is brand new and I am sure they will improve many things.

I have both and although Rotate made a great job, I love Maddog. 

Of course that is my opinion.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:46 AM, Xiropillo said:

In my opinion, Maddog.

But it really depends on your sim preferences, XP or P3D.

If sim is not a problem for you, Maddog was and will be a reference.

You only have to look at both nose to nose, front view and compare with real pictures. Rotate's nose is far from reality.

Regarding sounds, Maddog is brand new and I am sure they will improve many things.

I have both and although Rotate made a great job, I love Maddog. 

Of course that is my opinion.

I think the plank wing of the Mad Dog in flight looks wrong in fact it even appears to have almost anhedral.

the MD-80 family have a small amout of upward curve that looks particularly graceful and is totally missing from the P3D Md Dog.

Other than frame rate its my biggest issue with the P3D version. The wing needs some bend or it looks just wrong.

Wont effect anyone who doesnt use outside views though!

Darren Howie

47 minutes ago, DEHowie said:

I think the plank wing of the Mad Dog in flight looks wrong in fact it even appears to have almost anhedral.

the MD-80 family have a small amout of upward curve that looks particularly graceful and is totally missing from the P3D Md Dog.

Other than frame rate its my biggest issue with the P3D version. The wing needs some bend or it looks just wrong.

Wont effect anyone who doesnt use outside views though!

Did you send a ticket to developers? I already sent about doors not fully closed in nose landing gear (that Rotate model has) and others. Maybe the wings design could also be corrected if you send a picture to compare.

I sent to Rotate about front design but no answer.