Sign in to follow this  
Omaniac

Panel lights in the updated MD

Installed the updated model today and tried with RL and TG enabled. FPS 8. Both disabled FPS 60-70. I have a SLI setup.

But I have an issue with my cockpit panel lights without RL. I can only switch them ON or OFF and ANY of the panel light switches will control ALL panel lights. 

Am I the only one?

can not speak for P3d, but in FSX it is the only possible way to geht cockpit lightning with some dimable digital lights. Others reported about Frame hit in P3d with this technic.

Peter

Not sure if I know what you mean? The only way I can turn on the instrument lights is by turning the dimmable panel light switch. P3Dv4. The only thing that happens is all instrument lights go to bright directly. And, yes, it looks like I lose 20 FPS or thereabouts when I do this.

If you have RL disabled then the light switches are on/off instead of dimming.

Forgive me my friend for asking (I'm sure you must have provided them in a different post), but is your processor and processor speed, and which graphics card are you using?

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Intel 8700K at 4.5-4.7. 16 GB Ram. 2 x GTX 970 in SLI.

I am aware the SLI is a headache, but the MD is acting differently every time i start it up. Just now my 8 FPS with RL and TG turned into 50+ FPS after a PC restart. I have a funny feeling the FPS starts to slowly decrease when I fly.

Yeah, I'm happy you know about the RL SLI thing. There was a time when (I don't recall if it was TG or RL) it didn't work at all with SLI.  Now it works, but not well.  You know, P3D was made to work with SLI but I'm not convinced it does so very well.  For my part, I'm pushing a 55 inch 4K and three 23 inch LCDs with one GTX1080 just time and the same system and monitors was just fine with a single GTX 960 EXCEPT for Dynamic Lighting in V4.1.  As you know, there are some major architectural changes with the 1000 series cards and the 900 series can hang in there, but I'd hazzard a guess that you'd get better performance across the board with a 1080 than x2 970s.  Easy to say, but the cost of that 1080 is just PROHIBITIVE, isn't it?  Crazy how expensive graphics cards have become.

So here's what I'm wondering, if you're game enough that is.  It would be enormously helpful to me (as someone who does tech support for Leonardo and several other developers) to know how your system would run with SLI disabled and just one card.  To be a good test, you'd have to disable SLI, remove the bridge, and remove any displays connected to the second/disabled cards. To be fair, you really should remove the card as it's still drawing power by being plugged in. 

That reminds me, I forgot to ask what your power supply specs are... if 1000 watts then okay, anything less  and some of your performance may well be power related - those cards can go to peak pretty quickly under the type of load P3D can place on them - and SLI with P3D is far from perfect.  . In my early days I was a electronics/computer hardware engineer, plus I've seen this (second card hinder performance due to power requirements) first hand.

Anyway, I'd sure like to know how it works!

Thanks very much for you time my friend.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks for your time, Dave.

I’ll give it a try when I get home later tonight. 1080 cards? They are hard to come by because they are picked up by people building Mining rigs for Bitcoins. And they drive up the price. I see rigs advertised with 10 GTX 1080 cards. 

Take care!

4 hours ago, Omaniac said:

And I forgot, my PSU is 850W. Don’t think that is a problem.

Thanks for the update! 

Dave Hodges

I disabled SLI and tried again. Same problem with 8 FPS with RL and TG. Restart PC. FPS 30-40 GPU at 80-90 %. No flickering lights. Even if my FPS are not too bad, the picture (trackIr and Ezdoc) is not smooth. Not smooth as in not really playable.

I can’t disable TG and RL with the load manager «on the go». I have to reastart P3D before it changes. Normal?

Set everything back to SLI, but the PC was saying not connected. Tried everything, but could not connect SLI. Suspected a faulty bridge. I checked and found a new graphics driver. Installed and SLI OK.

Tried the sim again. RL and TG medium, cockpit high. FPS 55-60 nice and smooth. Lights flicker, but I can stop this by rotating the switches up and down a few times until the flickering stops. TG looks really nice in the rain!

I have a dual screen setup, but nothing fancy. An old Dell 22 inch for my secondarys, and a 24 inch Fujitsu/Siemens for my sim. Res 1920/1200.

When my sim starts with 8 FPS both my GPU’s go straight to 100%. My RAM goes to over 14 GB. My CPU is happy at 50-60%. Restart PC and it (most of the time) it works as it should. I have no idea what or why this is happening. I have switched to other addons, and they work with normal FPS.

Is it possible that the MD is suffering from a memory leak in some scenarios? Ref the post Out of Memory that just got posted.

3 hours ago, Omaniac said:

I disabled SLI and tried again. Same problem with 8 FPS with RL and TG. Restart PC. FPS 30-40 GPU at 80-90 %. No flickering lights. Even if my FPS are not too bad, the picture (trackIr and Ezdoc) is not smooth. Not smooth as in not really playable.

I can’t disable TG and RL with the load manager «on the go». I have to reastart P3D before it changes. Normal?

Set everything back to SLI, but the PC was saying not connected. Tried everything, but could not connect SLI. Suspected a faulty bridge. I checked and found a new graphics driver. Installed and SLI OK.

Tried the sim again. RL and TG medium, cockpit high. FPS 55-60 nice and smooth. Lights flicker, but I can stop this by rotating the switches up and down a few times until the flickering stops. TG looks really nice in the rain!

I have a dual screen setup, but nothing fancy. An old Dell 22 inch for my secondarys, and a 24 inch Fujitsu/Siemens for my sim. Res 1920/1200.

When my sim starts with 8 FPS both my GPU’s go straight to 100%. My RAM goes to over 14 GB. My CPU is happy at 50-60%. Restart PC and it (most of the time) it works as it should. I have no idea what or why this is happening. I have switched to other addons, and they work with normal FPS.

That is some terrific and extremely helpful information. I'm going to make sure that Davide take a look at this.

Thanks so VERY MUCH for all the time and effort! 

Dave Hodges

No worries, but I think Davide has most of it. I did submit a ticket regarding this issue. What is completely new is the fact that I got the same problem with FPS with only one card. That points to two different, non related issues. FPS problems not related to SLI (but maybe memory?) and lights issues related to SLI.